235 replies to this topic

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

He'll have those guys playing hard early on with RSL, but I'd be shocked if he's still a head coach in MLS (or any better league) in 5 years while Marsch in my mind is guaranteed to be coaching in MLS or a better league.

Jesse is talented, but I any potential moving up has a lot to do with Red Bull and their teams in Salzburg and Leipzig and possibly the Netherlands. Those connections/resources are going to get him the necessary licenses and open up opportunities.

The best coach in MLS is Oscar Pareja, but he doesn't have those advantages.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Jesse is talented, but I any potential moving up has a lot to do with Red Bull and their teams in Salzburg and Leipzig and possibly the Netherlands. Those connections/resources are going to get him the necessary licenses and open up opportunities.

The best coach in MLS is Oscar Pareja, but he doesn't have those advantages.

Agree that Pareja is the best coach, but he'll be coaching in 5 years because he's a good coach. Not because of any connection he doesn't have.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

I think you over-value articulateness.    Petke is far more intelligent than his speaking skills might indicate, and Marsch hasn't delivered all that much on his fancy talk.    I've seen a guy plug in a trendy high-press 4-2-3-1 as per orders from the top, but has only been able to make limited adjustments, to questionable effect, in response to personnel or opponents.    I'm not saying he's a dummy, but the delta between him and Petke, at the coaching level,  will likely prove minimal.

I think one of the best coaches in the NHL is John Tortorella and he's far from articulate.

I'm open minded when it comes to coaches and what works.  Some guys are great more because of the ability to motivate, and some are great because of the X's and O's. It's important to take all of it into account.

What impresses me is when a coach gets guys playing above their head and the team is just producing above their talent level.  Marsch has had that for two years now.  

Petke never had a team playing above their head. He had them right around where they should have been.

Petke's real proving moment is going to come with RSL.  If he has them make the playoffs, then I'm extremely impressed and he'll stamp himself as a good coach.   That team has talent.  Glad is a star, Plata a star, Schuler is a good player.  Beckerman obviously still has skills for this league.  He has the best keeper in the league with Rimando.  It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,970 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I think one of the best coaches in the NHL is John Tortorella and he's far from articulate.

Didn't impress me during last year's World Cup of Hockey. Designed a team focused on beating Canada, but never got out of the group stage & finished 0-3.
https://en.m.wikiped...d_Cup_of_Hockey

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Petke never had a team playing above their head. He had them right around where they should have been.

Other then Henry, and a select few talents our teams under Petke left alot to be desired. How many people from those two years are playing at a competitive level on a day to day basis? Dax, Robles, Miller, Oyongo and BWP? Most of the younger talent bounced around USL and the NASL and a couple of them retired. Petke was a fantastic motivator. We won alot of games from behind with him. Him and Fraiser were a great pair together. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Agree that Pareja is the best coach, but he'll be coaching in 5 years because he's a good coach. Not because of any connection he doesn't have.

he'll def be coaching in 5 yrs. 

hopefully it's USMNT. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,622 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
RSL win 3-0 in a freaking blizzard.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
Great start for Petke's coaching career in RSL. Not into being a fan of two teams but i'll keep an eye on RSL this season. BTW snow in April? Sucks to suck I guess.

LONG LIVE METRO

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Petke wins his first game back as coach, RBNY gets blanked. All seems right in the world.

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

At the presser Petke was asked, "What is your offensive philosophy?"  His response was, "to score goals."

His team scores 3 in a blizzard, we've scored 5 all year. I'll take that over screwing with formations that move your best players out of the center of the pitch, where they do MVP-level work.

This is MLS, not the Bundesliga. Sometimes all you need is a battering ram to knock down the door instead of trying to sneak around the side over and over again. Seems like a lesson this team would have learned after the past two postseasons and all the failed tournament bids.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

and the 19 yrs before that...not like we're keeping track of that or anything. 

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts
Hey, you guys remember when Petke was our coach? Man, those were the days. For a short period of time, it felt like our organization had an actual culture based on building a soccer community. I guess that didn't shift enough units of soda, though. Oh, well.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,371 posts

we had no reserve team. and we didn't sub many players cuz depth wasn't built. 

but sure, everyone carry on. 

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I think you over-value articulateness.    Petke is far more intelligent than his speaking skills might indicate, and Marsch hasn't delivered all that much on his fancy talk.    I've seen a guy plug in a trendy high-press 4-2-3-1 as per orders from the top, but has only been able to make limited adjustments, to questionable effect, in response to personnel or opponents.    I'm not saying he's a dummy, but the delta between him and Petke, at the coaching level,  will likely prove minimal.

This is crazy talk.

When petke was coach we were supposed to make the playoffs and make a cup run. The team was stacked with great players but the team under achieved when they didnt win mls

Just remember when Marsch took the team in his first year they were not suppose to make the playoffs, according to many pundits and folks on this board,but they won the suppprters shield.

Our current expectations of the squad is because Marsch has been able to get a lot more out of the squad then the talent he currently has. That is a sign of a good coach.

I am not saying that petke is a bad coach but for this team... marsch is the better coach. The evidence proves that.

The RSL job will show if Petke is a good coach or not. He is going to have to develop talent and have some growing pains with that young squad.

If Petke fails with RSL then he is done with MLS. I cant see another franchise take a chance on him. But if marsch gets fired he will be picked up by another club.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

This is crazy talk.

When petke was coach we were supposed to make the playoffs and make a cup run. The team was stacked with great players but the team under achieved when they didnt win mls

Just remember when Marsch took the team in his first year they were not suppose to make the playoffs, according to many pundits and folks on this board,but they won the suppprters shield.

Our current expectations of the squad is because Marsch has been able to get a lot more out of the squad then the talent he currently has. That is a sign of a good coach.

I am not saying that petke is a bad coach but for this team... marsch is the better coach. The evidence proves that.

The RSL job will show if Petke is a good coach or not. He is going to have to develop talent and have some growing pains with that young squad.

If Petke fails with RSL then he is done with MLS. I cant see another franchise take a chance on him. But if marsch gets fired he will be picked up by another club.

He won the shield in his rookie season and set the team single season win record as coach. Where does March excel as far as coaching goes? We have been totally figured out and outclassed in every knockout fixture he has coached in. He seems to be a one trick whipping boy for Ralfball-Global-Synergy. Why is that so impressive to you?

RSL won 3-0 and their first of the year. We were shutout. No, one game doesn't define a year but your post is just silly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users