MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Is there a separate list of those who made the roster,
but never played?

I don't have the full list, Brian.MLS does I think.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

I don't have the full list, Brian.MLS does I think.

I do. It gets a bit messy but IIRC without firing up my computer, unused rostered players during the season is about 50 players. Unused emergency backup GKs (guys like Bill Andracki and a slew of others in the 90s) tack on a few more names. Since 2015, I can't recall anyone that was on the roster during the regular season that didn't at least play with NYRBII, except Kendall McIntosh this season.

Lots of other names that signed or were on the roster but released/traded outside of the season (Francis Okaroh/Nick Rimando),
draft picks, guys that only played with NYRBII or the old MLS reserve league.

Then there are the weird situations (Tim Mulqueen serving as both GK coach and backip keeper, Babajide Ogunbiyi signed but released for not passing a physical only to go back to playing well again overseas, Olivier Occean being given a contract but getting poached, Eric Wynalda being on our team for 30 minutes, along with a few others in that boat).

137 players have played for NYRBII. Only 47 of those guys also played with the MLS team. The other 90 are guys that were loaned down, USL professional deals, or academy deals, and Amobi Okungo who we got on loan from MLS to get time before we signed him, but then we traded for Aurelien Collin instead.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

i think there are a few obvious outbound transfer choices that the team will make next year:

OUT:

- Rza (expensive, older, international)

- Long (expensive, probably the last time we can get any sort of $$$ for him)

- Kaku (expensive, international, probably the last time we can recoup any sort of $$ for him)

- Tetteh (loan expired)

- White or Barlow (both cheap American strikers, but neither very good. Redundant to keep both)

With the proceeds from those sales / open international spots, it will give the incoming coach the flexibility to sign at least 3 high caliber international players (either young DP or TAM).

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

i think there are a few obvious outbound transfer choices that the team will make next year:

OUT:

- Kaku (expensive, international, probably the last time we can recoup any sort of $$ for him)

- Tetteh (loan expired)

- White or Barlow (both cheap American strikers, but neither very good. Redundant to keep both)

With the proceeds from those sales / open international spots, it will give the incoming coach the flexibility to sign at least 3 high caliber international players (either young DP or TAM).

Kaku is hardly an obvious choice.  Not unlikely, but not obvious.    Also, I don't think they brought in Tetteh as a short term look like Simms.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

The team didn't pay $6M (?) for Kaku just to keep him around indefinitely. They'll want to flip him and I think his contract is up next year. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

OUT:
- Tetteh (loan expired)

RZA yes

Id prefer Parker gone over Long but that would have to be a domestic trade for allocation $$

Kaku maybe, and he might not be the ideal fit for Strubers system. I wouldnt be upset if he was still here though. Probably last opportunity to recoup some of the transfer $$

Tetteh is a ??? on multiple levels

White on senior contract, Barlow on reserve, similar ages. Have open roster spots already, but dont know if can justify keeping 2 non factors in White and Jørgensen on senior level contracts. Jørgensen still has youth on his side, though Im skeptical of him coming good.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I almost wonder if they hold on to Kaku for another year to undo the damage Armas did to his transfer value. They need to flip him for a significant profit to actually pocket any money since Huracan gets 20% of future sales and MLS gets a cut as well. Maybe a 2021 season near the top of the assist leaderboard (which I fully believe he's capable of) raises his price enough?

Also gotta wonder if he's going into an option year of his contract. If his salary is going to triple next year it might make them more likely to cut their losses and sell for whatever they can.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The team didn't pay $6M (?) for Kaku just to keep him around indefinitely. They'll want to flip him and I think his contract is up next year. 

His value was at its highest after the the 2018 season and they couldn't get enough for him to warrant a sale to Club America then.  He's been better this year than last, but still worse than 2018.  Add on top, the fact that COVID has hurt transfer fees, and I can't see Kaku leaving as obvious.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts

His value was at its highest after the the 2018 season and they couldn't get enough for him to warrant a sale to Club America then.  He's been better this year than last, but still worse than 2018.  Add on top, the fact that COVID has hurt transfer fees, and I can't see Kaku leaving as obvious.

what are the options if we don't sell him?

1) re-sign him to a bigger contract and hope that his value will increase enough in the next few years? 

2) let him walk on a free and lose any sort of investment that we paid for him

i argue that 1) is unlikely given that we have a new coach and he will want to shape the team in his vision, not in the vision of RBNY front office ca. 2-3 years ago. 

i'd argue that 2) is even less likely since RB soccer is not in the business of throwing money away. 

We can probably recoup some of the investment given he stays healthy in the next few months, plays decent enough in MLS (will be hard given he will miss time due to mandatory quarantine), and plays well in world cup qualifiers. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I almost wonder if they hold on to Kaku for another year to undo the damage Armas did to his transfer value. They need to flip him for a significant profit to actually pocket any money since Huracan gets 20% of future sales and MLS gets a cut as well. Maybe a 2021 season near the top of the assist leaderboard (which I fully believe he's capable of) raises his price enough?

Also gotta wonder if he's going into an option year of his contract. If his salary is going to triple next year it might make them more likely to cut their losses and sell for whatever they can.

The only way i can see them holding onto kaku is if they can sign him to a longterm contract.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Remember Struber coached Tetteh at Liefring. He may keep him for familiarity with how he likes to play.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts

He'd have to have some kind of lights-out performance for Paraguay for us to recoup half of what we paid.  

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts

Remember Struber coached Tetteh at Liefring. He may keep him for familiarity with how he likes to play.

no way that's a coincidence.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

maybe he will tell him to get in some stair work

run up and down the steps at Nakatomi Plaza 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

what are the options if we don't sell him?

1) re-sign him to a bigger contract and hope that his value will increase enough in the next few years? 

2) let him walk on a free and lose any sort of investment that we paid for him

i argue that 1) is unlikely given that we have a new coach and he will want to shape the team in his vision, not in the vision of RBNY front office ca. 2-3 years ago. 

i'd argue that 2) is even less likely since RB soccer is not in the business of throwing money away. 

We can probably recoup some of the investment given he stays healthy in the next few months, plays decent enough in MLS (will be hard given he will miss time due to mandatory quarantine), and plays well in world cup qualifiers. 

I'm just saying it's not obvious or a no brainer that Kaku leaves.  Kaku excelled under Marsch, and I would guess Struber will play a similar style.  So it wouldn't surprise me if Kaku can get back to or at least closer to his 2018 level.

If RB is going to lose $2-3million on Kaku, why not just keep and play him?  Struber just left a club because he didn't have enough attacking options.  I think Kaku only goes if they have his replacement lined up.  Like when we traded Sacha to make room Kaku.  I guess if Clark is capable of stepping into Kaku's role, since he'll hopefully be on the roster, moving Kaku at loss would easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users