47 replies to this topic

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

anyone have any insight into this team looking to bring in a big-time DP caliber player or is this team officially a full-time feeder team for the European clubs until further notice? 

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
We still have the big time dp calibre player that we bought a year ago on our roster. Until we sell him (for a profit), it seems unlikely that the team will splurge on another one

elwey75

elwey75

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Supports:new york red bulls

I'm already see this kind of movements before with other clubs. and the result is no tittles for a while, and  fans instead of focus on the club performance start to focus and support  individual players and follow their careers overseas. The only thing  different in this case. Because this club always make the things different (worst of course) is the sale time for these players. Their short time played is not a warranty for success in another league. Also the experience that they get on NYRB I, is not enough to compete with another players that came from south america. Just see Adams case. he maybe experienced 3 o 4 games under real pressure (Mexico and Atlanta).

that kind of games is what makes players gain confidence and develop their skill to the next level. When team expend money in DP's  100% active, not in path for retirement. Those players  will come to  motivate, inspire and compete with these young players. Right there  is when we will  have a team ready to win.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

no tittles ...

I thought that we won a tittle last year!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i think we'll be selling players onto Europe before we have a full complement of DPs. best we can hope for is that we have some TAM players who are higher end $1m+ per yr. i could see us getting a player who'll make $1.25m in a season at most. 

i do advocate selling players, especially for more than they're actually worth. anything to get the max $650k in GAM. any actual profit is a bonus, tbh. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

i think we'll be selling players onto Europe before we have a full complement of DPs. best we can hope for is that we have some TAM players who are higher end $1m+ per yr. i could see us getting a player who'll make $1.25m in a season at most. 

i do advocate selling players, especially for more than they're actually worth. anything to get the max $650k in GAM. any actual profit is a bonus, tbh. 

agreed.  regularly selling guys to get the extra $750k of GAM is a huge power move.  In an ideal world you probably set team up to have one good piece to sell each year to get that for you.  In current rules landscape $750k GAM is 18% of the salary cap.  so getting that is a major benefit.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Assuming we sell a homegrown (so we retain 100% of the sale proceeds), how much do we have to sell a player for in order to get $750k in GAM?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Assuming we sell a homegrown (so we retain 100% of the sale proceeds), how much do we have to sell a player for in order to get $750k in GAM?

For Homegrowns? $750k

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

anyone have any insight into this team looking to bring in a big-time DP caliber player or is this team officially a full-time feeder team for the European clubs until further notice? 

One has nothing to do with the other.  You could be a big time DP buying club, a feeder team, both, or neither.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

You might need to just check out of MLS altogether for the next few decades if top talent going abroad is a sticking point for you.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

full time feeder club! - just like Dortmund!

Well we do have (and developed) the USMNT Captain. 

More importantly they need to re-negotiate his contract ASAP.   

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I'm already see this kind of movements before with other clubs. and the result is no tittles for a while, and  fans instead of focus on the club performance start to focus and support  individual players and follow their careers overseas

Maybe I'm in the minority but I personally don't care about following any of these guys and their new club teams once they leave the team. Miazga, Adams, etc etc etc. I don't wish them any ill will or anything silly like that especially cause I want them to perform for team USA but I just don't care to follow other teams. I only watch this team and shitty USA.

N8ballz

N8ballz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  • Supports:metro
This organization has tried everything and still no cups. Call us a feeder or whatever I see us being what we are since Cahill and Henry left. That is finding MLS level talent that fits their philosophy, develop it and hope they eventually win with it. No quick fix, no wonder DP to get us over the top, stick with the plan win or lose long term. It will result in us having talent we will sell on and some they will pay to keep. We will get a Kaku here and there but I don't see us doing a Henry or Cahill moving forward. Red Bull is going to treat MLS as a second, third tier league in terms of world soccer until further notice.

TL;DR blah blah blah yes we are a feeder team.

And Olsen didn't turn DC into a bunch of whining, diving.. oh, nevermind

-MetroSquard

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

Red Bull is going to treat MLS as a second, third tier league in terms of world soccer until further notice.

Well we are, LOL Just ask Jesse and Tyler and Timmy and Jozy and Matt and all the others from our team and others who have sailed across the pond.

You don't have to look to Austria for that truth.

But we don't necessarily need the next Cahill, what we need are 3 Kakus instead of one. From a purely business point of view if you add a name like Marquez and he doesn't bump attendance or get you to the Promised Land, but you can get a Kaku and make $ selling him on, then you'd be a fool business-wise not to go the latter track. The only thing that I scratch my head over is why they don't do  more of these Kaku level deals. You can make money developing them and if you add 2-3 you might actually secure the hardware and that, shock of all shocks, might actually boost attendance, especially if it is not a one off deal.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

This organization has tried everything and still no cups. Call us a feeder or whatever I see us being what we are since Cahill and Henry left. That is finding MLS level talent that fits their philosophy, develop it and hope they eventually win with it. No quick fix, no wonder DP to get us over the top, stick with the plan win or lose long term. It will result in us having talent we will sell on and some they will pay to keep. We will get a Kaku here and there but I don't see us doing a Henry or Cahill moving forward. Red Bull is going to treat MLS as a second, third tier league in terms of world soccer until further notice.

TL;DR blah blah blah yes we are a feeder team.

yawn

How many cups did Henry and Cahill bring us?? 

We need more Kaku level signings.  Add another player like him/Piatti/Valeri on the wing last year - different story provided individual mistakes don't sink us (like they did. )

Long was just USMNT captain but hey he is from US - we need a player from the EPL to validate us. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users