42 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Lade is a very valuable part of this team and was not at fault for the ATL playoff loss.  

I disagree on both counts. While Lade has done yeoman service for RB over the years, there has to be a point where he becomes surplus to requirements. At best he should be a seldom-used reserve.
The bigger shame may be that no one on the roster has displaced him from his current role.
As for the first leg against ATL, it seemed that their coach realized that Lade was the weak link in the back, and repeatedly attacked there, leading to the cross that resulted in the first goal. Of course, there was poor coverage on the receiving end, and hint of handball, but to say that Lade was also not at fault is too much for me. I would have preferred him to be much more physical, early, even to the point of a yellow card. But, he was probably instructed to cover, not body up.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I disagree on both counts. While Lade has done yeoman service for RB over the years, there has to be a point where he becomes surplus to requirements. At best he should be a seldom-used reserve.
The bigger shame may be that no one on the roster has displaced him from his current role.
As for the first leg against ATL, it seemed that their coach realized that Lade was the weak link in the back, and repeatedly attacked there, leading to the cross that resulted in the first goal. Of course, there was poor coverage on the receiving end, and hint of handball, but to say that Lade was also not at fault is too much for me. I would have preferred him to be much more physical, early, even to the point of a yellow card. But, he was probably instructed to cover, not body up.

Agreed. I am not anti-Lade, but he offers zero in attack and sometimes has to be extra aggressive physically on defense to compensate for his size. If he was a consistent starter he would be our weakest link.

However, for one game against a supposedly weaker opponent he can do fine.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Listen to Armas interview on extra time yesterday . Pressing cue not followed by Kaku and Tyler after ATL has crossed line of confrontation
Not said but Parker doesnt get a head on a 40 yard cross

Agree someone needs to step up and compete for 2nd spot

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Pressing cue not followed by Kaku and Tyler after ATL has crossed line of confrontation

Translation: At a certain point others had to switch roles, but did not? OTOH, the ATL passes were long and over our midfield.

Goes without saying!

Agree someone needs to step up and compete for 2nd spot

No doubt others have tried. Credit to Lade for keeping his job. I just cannot believe that the competition are unable to surpass him. But, there you have it.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Translation: At a certain point others had to switch roles, but did not? OTOH, the ATL passes were long and over our midfield.

Agree someone needs to step up and compete for 2nd spot[/quote]

Not role switch as Lade was covering ATL player positioned on RW.  During a tactical plan teamss draw a line of confrontation.  When team cross that line then teams engage in next steps - medium press, high press who is closest?who is best positioned to press? where do you want to drive the player? and what support does he have.   What are this players tendencies? 

Listen to interview @25.  really good

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/8519786/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/fe991a/" height="90" width="100%" scrolling="no"  allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.mlssocce...new-dp-forwards

ATL changed game plans to counter the press after we ran over them in Sep.  See ATL v NYCFC .  Over 25% long balls. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

ATL changed game plans to counter the press after we ran over them in Sep.  

Every team changes game plans, especially after a loss.
There is no secret in how to beat a high press. Success comes from executing the plan properly.
I did not listen to the interview. Did Armas acknowledge that he was out coached in both legs?

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Because we used the same garbage plan in both away legs of not attacking the hell out of them like we did in Columbus. Only difference is we shit the bed completely defensively and gave up 3 vs the 1 in Columbus.

If we went out there in both games attacking and pressing like we should have we would have easily came back with a tie or at the worst a few away goals.

I'm still pissed off.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I'm still pissed off.

You are not alone.
Still, in the spirit of Thats So Metro, there would have been something else that did us in.
3 for 23 on Shields.
0 for 23 MLS Cups.
0 for 22 US Open Cups.
0 for etc. all the other cups.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

I'll be in the minority on this, but i think a few of our players shat themselves (local guys, sadly) given the crowd, game magnitude, etc.

Thought i saw some nervous faces pre-match, not that that is necessarily tragic.  I have not the stomach to rewatch it, so going off memory from the pub.

Throw in the plastic field, Armas' comments, tactics, Lade, no good luck (BWP goal) and they just weren't at a level to beat an excellent Atlanta team away.

That said I was fine (not that my emotions matter in this) down 2 zip.   

The third goal though was among the most painful i've "felt," cause I just kinda knew then it was... another year.

It's a damn shame we didn't get to lose the cup at home to Portland due to a called back penalty, red card, own goal, fan interference, triple deflected goal, fluke corner, etc.  

Excellence Not Expectations

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

When Lawrence got hurt they lost his poise / swag / leadership in addition to his MLS best XI skills and athleticism.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

When Lawrence got hurt they lost his poise / swag / leadership in addition to his MLS best XI skills and athleticism.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kemar, he's the best fullback I've ever seen in MLS. But he's still just one player, and one not named Leo Messi. We were OK when he missed games in the regular season, and we were OK when other key starters were missing too.

Our coach rolled out a game plan our team hadn't used since 2014, if we're talking about the entire team suddenly losing their swagger then that's the one and only answer for me.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Don't get me wrong, I love Kemar, he's the best fullback I've ever seen in MLS. But he's still just one player, and one not named Leo Messi. We were OK when he missed games in the regular season, and we were OK when other key starters were missing too.

Our coach rolled out a game plan our team hadn't used since 2014, if we're talking about the entire team suddenly losing their swagger then that's the one and only answer for me.

It seemed that he rolled out that game plan - which he would never admit - because of Lade being there instead of Kemar.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Every team changes game plans, especially after a loss.
There is no secret in how to beat a high press. Success comes from executing the plan properly.
I did not listen to the interview. Did Armas acknowledge that he was out coached in both legs?

not every team changes after a loss.   Most need to execute better unless they are into changing style of play all the time.

ATL made a lot of changes to how they play stylistically - over instead of through.  

the interview is interesting

still don't see how the coach fault for players to not follow the plan and step to players per plan and to not deal with cross from 40 yards away

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Kemar injury / Lade replacement caused Armas and the rest of the team to overcompensate tactics (IIRC, we didn't win 1 possession in the opposing half - we usually average 12). Combine that with the fact that we got a unlucky (BWP goal called back) and the fact that Atlanta was a very talented opponent.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

still don't see how the coach fault for players to not follow the plan and step to players per plan and to not deal with cross from 40 yards away

Cause you're only talking about one play when Atlanta bossed us around for the entire 90 minutes of that game.

When one or two players look bad, even for just a key moment, by all means they deserve the blame. When everyone looks bad for the entire game, playing a style they had at most two weeks to prepare for, how do you not look at the coach?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users