33 replies to this topic

onionsack

onionsack

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos
Lost in the news from Dan about the 5 draftees signing contracts is the fact that the team is now officially maxed out of Developmental players at 10.

This of course means, absent cutting one of these players, Matt Kassel will NOT be playing for NYRB this year, which means he can't train with them either. Sad.

Why would you fill your roster with a bunch of journmany college players that have so little upwards potential over arguable the best high school aged player in the State of New Jersey who has been bagging goals left and right for the Academy side.

Yet another severely flawed policy from the "soccer minds" in this organization. The ramifications for this move will be felt through out the academy side, they won't say it to coaches or publicly but you can be assured many of these kids must now be questioning their involvment in a program that doesn't even bring up its star player.

The whole point of the dev roster is to ...are you ready for it....DEVELOP your fucking good talent at a young age to prepare them for first team duty in the future. Why the hell are we wasting valuable dev spots on guys that are too old to develop any meaningful ability and will just be cut or discarded within one year. Its a waste, absolute waste of resources.

I like the Youth Director, spoke with him at lengh not long ago, but i fear his former NCAA affilation as a coach is going to bias him to recomemend players go the college route, which IMO is a poor route to develop any real serious bite and drive for the game.

I am aware we hold his rights, and can bring him up later, but learning the game from solid professional teamates and a bright coach sure beat playing college ball, even for a coach as well regarded as Sasha.

:angry:
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This of course means, absent cutting one of these players, Matt Kassel will NOT be playing for NYRB this year, which means he can't train with them either. Sad.

Well... cutting developmental players is (sadly?) a common occurrence.
MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JozyHasComeHome

JozyHasComeHome

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Supports:Metro/RBNY, USA, Fulham
Wait wait wait

I just read Kassel WILL be training with RBNY for the next 2 weeks leading up to the season opener. That may not mean he's going to sign, but I definitely saw that he'll be training with them.

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Umm didn't Agoos say that Matt will be training with the team for the next 2 weeks? And after that they will make their decision on what to do w/ him. What about a generation adidas contract?

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Umm didn't Agoos say that Matt will be training with the team for the next 2 weeks? And after that they will make their decision on what to do w/ him. What about a generation adidas contract?

Gen adidas K's are offered by the league, not individual clubs, also while not 100% clear, it would seem any player under GA contract woukd have to be drafted or lottery into the league irrespective of any homegrown player rights.

Its always a grey area with training with professional players as a potential NCAA player, i am sure there are very restrictive rules about it so while he may be training before the season in NJ there is no guarentte he can continue to do so through out the year as a NCAA committed player. At least this is how it was when i was in college, you could train with amatuer clubs like PDL sides,etc. in the summer but professional sides where strictly off limits. What has changed, i don't know, but it would sure be nice if this league could let people know what is going on with respect to this development instead of kicking it under the rug.

That's why i prefaced my rant with, unless they cut a dev player. Dev contracts are very weak contracts, they are not guareenteed and players can be dropped pretty much at any time. So yes, its still possible, but if thats the case why sign a kid now to max it just to cut him in two weeks?

DiscoBerger2123

DiscoBerger2123

hyper off the ginseng root

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Supports:USA, Metro
Who are our 10 developmental players? I can only think of 9:

GK Danny Cepero
GK Caleb Patterson-Sewell
CB John Gilkerson
LM David Roth
CM Danleigh Borman
CM/ST Michael Palacio
ST Chris Megaloudis (Puerto Rican)
ST Kevin Mesa
ST Ricky Schramm

Rooney20

Rooney20

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls,MUFC
You are forgeting Brunner.

lakaix15

lakaix15

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts
  • Supports:RBNY and Wisla Krakow

Who are our 10 developmental players? I can only think of 9:

GK Danny Cepero
GK Caleb Patterson-Sewell
CB John Gilkerson
LM David Roth
CM Danleigh Borman
CM/ST Michael Palacio
ST Chris Megaloudis (Puerto Rican)
ST Kevin Mesa
ST Ricky Schramm

u missed brunner

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

u missed brunner

Brunner is not necessarily Developmental. In fact, he told me that he is unaware of his status, but he "thinks" it's senior. They are probably waiting on the other signings to go through to make the status official. I assume Sassano is in the same boat.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Brunner is not necessarily Developmental. In fact, he told me that he is unaware of his status, but he "thinks" it's senior. They are probably waiting on the other signings to go through to make the status official. I assume Sassano is in the same boat.

We only have 1 Senior spot left at the moment, so both Sassano and Brunner can't be Senior, especially with this new international guy allegedly being signed in a few days. That would put us 2 players over the roster limit..and under MLS rules, since the roster compliance date has passed NY cannot have more than 18 senior roster players under contract at any time here going forward.

So if they indead did sign senior deals, they would have had to cut players...which they may have and not announced yet.

I hope Brunner didn't sign senior, i really don't think he is any good for this level. But more because we have 600K in salary space and only 1 available senior roster spot. Any deadweight on the 18 man roster is just going to tie our hands more with new signings.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

We only have 1 Senior spot left at the moment, so both Sassano and Brunner can't be Senior, especially with this new international guy allegedly being signed in a few days. That would put us 2 players over the roster limit..and under MLS rules, since the roster compliance date has passed NY cannot have more than 18 senior roster players under contract at any time here going forward.

So if they indead did sign senior deals, they would have had to cut players...which they may have and not announced yet.

You're right, but we can't be certain at this point. I think they'll end up cutting players no matter what the situation is. I just don't think a full developmental roster will stand in the way of signing Kassel, if it comes to that.

MasterShake

MasterShake

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
seriously wtf is going on with this club, cant we get some solid facts for once :angry:
He's not a soft or hot drink
Whoever don't like it could suck his straw, it's hot pink
On some junk like Gucci on a classy hoe
Might splash you in the face with nuclear pistachio
Make a fast break, or that'll be the last mistake
that ass'll make is what you get for messing with ..........

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,657 posts

What they can also do is to start someone as senior, then move them down when an international is signed. The player gets more money that way... it's been done before in the league, multiple times.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,769 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

What they can also do is to start someone as senior, then move them down when an international is signed. The player gets more money that way... it's been done before in the league, multiple times.

[johnny carson]I did not know that.[/heeeeeeeeeeeere's johnny]

I'd really be surprised if they kept four keepers, which means either Cepero is getting transferred abroad or Thornton/ Caleb is getting dropped.

and really, if we drop Leitch or Goldthwaite, I doubt there will be many tears shed

RBNY16A

RBNY16A

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull New York
would cepero have a place abroad? when he can't even survive MLS?
"I searched for glory . . . and glory I did not see.
I searched for victory . . . and victory eluded me.
I searched for TEAMWORK . . . and found all three."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users