Poll on potential Qatar ownership

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll on potential Qatar ownership (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you accept Qatar ownership of the club?

1. If they ran the team well and changed its name, I would accept their ownership (53 votes [53.00%])

Percentage of vote: 53.00%

2. I would not accept their ownership under any circumstances (47 votes [47.00%])

Percentage of vote: 47.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Under what circumstances, if any, would you accept ownership by the Qatar govt group?

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts
  • Supports:Metros

New Red Bulls slogan: Slightly preferable to a slave state

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

I'm torn.

On the one hand, I support other things which are owned and run by people who I disagree with...and, like everyone, I pay taxes to support a government I don't always agree with.

On the other hand, most of those "people who I disagree with" are people whose views I disagree with, not people whose actions are abhorrent to me - and they're ordinary citizens, not tyrannical despots. And the "government I don't always agree with" is in no way comparable to that of Qatar (in my opinion).

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Red Bull to the Qatar Government.  Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

(I also wonder if refusing to support a QSI-owned team would be applying a standard I don't really apply elsewhere in my life. Like, I really have no idea whether the people who made my clothes made them in conditions any better than the foreign workers building those stadiums in Qatar. Maybe they did? Probably?)

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Also...I really, really, really want the damn name changed. We can get rid of the Qataris later.

(Or can we?)

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I would take Qataris with a legitimate team name, over redbull and a joke of a team name, but I don't like what that says about me.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

I would take Qataris with a legitimate team name, over redbull and a joke of a team name, but I don't like what that says about me.

I think that's where I am at this point.

We can also allow ourselves the age-old excuse of sellouts: "This way, we can push for change from inside the machine!"

(Which, in fairness, is a bit true.)

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I think that's where I am at this point.

We can also allow ourselves the age-old excuse of sellouts: "This way, we can push for change from inside the machine!"

(Which, in fairness, is a bit true.)

If the government of Qatar purchases the team, then I probably couldn't continue to support the organization.  The thought of that really hurts, because I have supported this team for so long and it's such an important part of my life, but I would feel like my money would be going toward the enslavement of foreign workers.  I've seen interviews with the slaves and seen the conditions they are forced to live in and it's just heartbreaking.  The government of Qatar is truly evil.

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

And, of course, if something like Miazga-to-Leipzig turns out to be true, then we've reached the point where it simply comes down to a question of competence and fitness...and the realization that we're simply discussing who is going to run a certain sports team, and not who we're voting for as World God Supreme.

Any ownership, no matter how morally bankrupt, would be preferable simply along the lines of running the team when the alternative ownership is openly stripping the team of assets in an unethical way.

That is, when it simply comes down to the question of who is fit to run the team, I'd rather the team be run by Neo-Nazis or pedophiles than by the owners from Major League...

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

And, of course, if something like Miazga-to-Leipzig turns out to be true, then we've reached the point where it simply comes down to a question of competence and fitness...and the realization that we're simply discussing who is going to run a certain sports team, and not who we're voting for as World God Supreme.

Any ownership, no matter how morally bankrupt, would be preferable simply along the lines of running the team when the alternative ownership is openly stripping the team of assets in an unethical way.

That is, when it simply comes down to the question of who is fit to run the team, I'd rather the team be run by Neo-Nazis or pedophiles than by the owners from Major League...

I really would like another option here.  I don't understand why we are stuck between incompetence and evil.  Can't we have a normal ownership group made up of legitimate businessmen who aren't trying to use the team to market another product and haven't committed human rights abuses?  Is that really so much to ask for?

Nidal Baba Superstar

Nidal Baba Superstar

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

If the government of Qatar purchases the team, then I probably couldn't continue to support the organization.  The thought of that really hurts, because I have supported this team for so long and it's such an important part of my life, but I would feel like my money would be going toward the enslavement of foreign workers.  I've seen interviews with the slaves and seen the conditions they are forced to live in and it's just heartbreaking.  The government of Qatar is truly evil.

I can respect that.

My (feeble) counterargument would be that one is much more likely to fund the enslavement of foreign workers by buying gasoline than by watching PSG or the MetroQatars, both of which are more or less money-losing propositions for the regime in the short term.

scheets973

scheets973

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USMNT, Santos FC
I buy music from a lot of artists I don't agree with. I watch movies of actors whose views I don't agree with. I can support a team run by a government I won't always agree with.

beefyT

beefyT

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Supports:Taco Tuesday

government I won't always agree with.

Can you give the examples of when you DO agree with the Qataris? 

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I can't wait for the "Fault in our Qatars" TIFO, personally. 

Qatar-struck?

Qatar Spangled Banner?

The pun options are endless. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users