119 replies to this topic

Elseth7

Elseth7

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT
I would take Luis Robles over Bill Hamid or Sean Johnson any day of the week. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the next gold cup mix or just generally post-World Cup. I wouldn't mind seeing RBNY in the USMNT credits when rosters are announced.
"I'm sure we won't hear much from [Philly] because of the quality of our fans, of how loud and how boisterous they are," Petke said. "They're probably going to drown them out. But I welcome it. I love it..."

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he'll get his chance. rimando got his after a while, problem for both was that no matter how good they were in goal, their height precluded them from getting many looks.  hamid and johnson got looks due to their size, just like adin brown etc before them.

that's how it is.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Hamid is overrated.  And Johnson is decent but Luis is playing much better than both.

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Hamid is a hack.  And Johnson is meh.  Robles is better than both, IMHO.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Yeah, I would much rather have Luis Robles and Tally Hall in the mix rather than Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Thought about this while watching the Fire game.  Shep was complimentary toward Robles, but was effusive in his praise of Johnson and specifically mentioned Johnson's national team potential.  Just seems like no one is thinking of Robles as being on that level, even though his performances are beginning to suggest that he's as good as anyone not named Howard or Guzan.

Robles is a great shot stopper.  He seems to be getting better at other parts of the position, i.e. coming off his line, rebounds and distribution.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Only US born MLS goalie I'd take over Robles is Rimando, and Robles is much younger. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Thought about this while watching the Fire game.  Shep was complimentary toward Robles, but was effusive in his praise of Johnson and specifically mentioned Johnson's national team potential.  Just seems like no one is thinking of Robles as being on that level, even though his performances are beginning to suggest that he's as good as anyone not named Howard or Guzan.

Robles is a great shot stopper.  He seems to be getting better at other parts of the position, i.e. coming off his line, rebounds and distribution.

sean johnson is 24. robles is 29. even if they are both reasonably close to each other in terms of overall skill (which i agree they are), johnson will get more looks with the US simply because he is younger and has more upside. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Don't like Johnson or especially Hamid.

Rimando is better than Robles though... Think a lot of Rimando.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

rimando is also older and has 200 or so more games under his belt. that's why i think robles gets a shot but only a several yrs from now.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.

Robles may get one of those calls in a tourny like the gold cup where it doesn't count.  

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Like most people here, I hate that somehow Johnson and Hamid have been anointed the gk's of the future of the USMNT. Hamid is way overrated. Johnson I like more but it's time for him to become more consistent and cut down on the silly mental mistakes. 

I doubt Robles will get a chance. He's too old at this point. 

Klinnsman has called in Rimando, Hall, Johnson, and Hamid. Guys like Robles and Kennedy are just too old I think. Too many guys in front of them. 

odsum25

odsum25

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

It's funny to think that Rimando could have been starting here for the last 8 years, instead of RSL. With Robles and Meara, NY finally seems to have some stability, but Rimando sure would have been nice to have.

I think that Robles could do well as a backup with the national team as well, but it makes sense for Klinsmann to look at younger players, especially with a pretty solid first three of Howard, Guzan, and Rimando.

We'll see what happens after Howard and Rimando leave the national team scene. Both would be 39 at the 2018 World Cup, so some new blood will definitely come through the ranks. I'd imagine that the backups will end up being be one of the younger guys and and one of the older guys. Hall, Kennedy, and Robles could all compete for the elder statesman spot.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

I'm so tired of Hamid and Johnson being the "future of US goalkeeping." They both suck. Johnson slightly less, but they are both bad and haven't gotten better over the years.

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

I think if Timmy decides to retire from the national team after this WC theres a good chance Robles will get a call up. Guzan seems to be cemented as the next #1 but I can see Robles filling in on some friendlies and tightly scheduled tourneys like GC. I think both Johnson and Hamid are being brought in because of their size and also because they have most upside. Jurgen probably hopes he can mold these guys into quality keepers. However I think they will show their true colors and not quite live up to expectations and thats when Robles would come in.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users