7 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

So on a sort of a different note, since we have a few players with youth who have been rotated into the squad this year and a few more on the way, I was interested to know how a lot of you fans of the team would rank the players in terms of potential. It's tough for me since I haven't been watching as many RBNY II games as a lot of you have, so correct me if Im totally off somewhere.

My list...

1. Sean Davis Maybe a lower ceiling than some guys on the list, but I think he's almost certain to be an above average MLS center mid for his whole career

2. Anatole Abang He is very, very raw, but also extremely young. For context, he's two years younger than Brandon Allen, He's just been here a while so we view him differently.

3. Alex Muyl - has some work to do on the offensive side of the ball. Im not as sold on him as some here

4. Tyler Adams- so young he is hard to evaluate, but the ORG seems high on him

5. Brandon Allen- I just don't know if his skillset translates to that of an MLS forward. Short, not pacey, one footed. Prove me wrong, I guess.

6. Justin Bilyeau- He's a first round pick but is now the third choice at left back behind a guy who is out of his natural position. I only see him getting time if Lawrence leaves for Europe

7. Etienne- don't know enough

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

So on a sort of a different note, since we have a few players with youth who have been rotated into the squad this year and a few more on the way, I was interested to know how a lot of you fans of the team would rank the players in terms of potential. It's tough for me since I haven't been watching as many RBNY II games as a lot of you have, so correct me if Im totally off somewhere.

My list...

1. Sean Davis Maybe a lower ceiling than some guys on the list, but I think he's almost certain to be an above average MLS center mid for his whole career

2. Anatole Abang He is very, very raw, but also extremely young. For context, he's two years younger than Brandon Allen, He's just been here a while so we view him differently.

3. Alex Muyl - has some work to do on the offensive side of the ball. Im not as sold on him as some here

4. Tyler Adams- so young he is hard to evaluate, but the ORG seems high on him

5. Brandon Allen- I just don't know if his skillset translates to that of an MLS forward. Short, not pacey, one footed. Prove me wrong, I guess.

6. Justin Bilyeau- He's a first round pick but is now the third choice at left back behind a guy who is out of his natural position. I only see him getting time if Lawrence leaves for Europe

7. Etienne- don't know enough

in terms of potential only:

1. abang - young and already capped international.  has size and goal scoring instinct, just needs to refine his overall game, which will come in time

2. davis - most MLS ready of this group.  shows a great deal of composure on the ball, which is a must for a good box to box mid.

3. adams - even younger than abang. still raw but you could see his soccer IQ which is very high for his age

4. Etienne - has the skills and desire to take people 1v1.  obviously still raw but the ceiling is high

5. muyl - typical American midfielder.  lots of hustle and stamina.  needs to improve crossing and 1v1 abilities.  but the upside is he is still young so he might still develop those skills

6. bilyeu - solid contributor in sparse minutes.  does not have the speed or ball skills, so his ceiling is lower

7. allen - I don't rate him at all. I understand that he is knocking in goal after goal in the reserve team, but that level of competition is well below MLS

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

My biggest concern with Abang is that because of his age and stature, if he does have a breakout season next year, at age 21, the chances are pretty good he'll be off to Europe. 

Davis I think will probably be an MLS guy.

I am interested to see more of Adams and Etienne.  

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

in terms of potential only:

1. abang - young and already capped international.  has size and goal scoring instinct, just needs to refine his overall game, which will come in time

2. davis - most MLS ready of this group.  shows a great deal of composure on the ball, which is a must for a good box to box mid.

3. adams - even younger than abang. still raw but you could see his soccer IQ which is very high for his age

4. Etienne - has the skills and desire to take people 1v1.  obviously still raw but the ceiling is high

5. muyl - typical American midfielder.  lots of hustle and stamina.  needs to improve crossing and 1v1 abilities.  but the upside is he is still young so he might still develop those skills

6. bilyeu - solid contributor in sparse minutes.  does not have the speed or ball skills, so his ceiling is lower

7. allen - I don't rate him at all. I understand that he is knocking in goal after goal in the reserve team, but that level of competition is well below MLS

Agree with this, besides that I would swap Davis and Adams from a potential stand point.  Adams with his soccer IQ could become a more athletic Dax which would be great.  And also for a typical American midfielder Muyl has a crazy work rate.  He has some "boring James Milner" qualities to him, but in the right setup is a very valuable player.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

I'll go for this.

1. Tyler Adams - Kid has elite athleticism and change of direction.  Excellent speed too.  17 years old so a lot of maturing to do physically.  Seems to be mentally mature and will very likely become an excellent player.  Hopeful he wants to stay in MLS when he finally takes over.   The only thing that will determine how great he can be is how much better he gets with the ball to create offense.

2. Derrick Etienne - Excellent with the ball and can pass with the best of them.  Good natural athleticism and speed as well.  Doesn't fight as hard as he could yet, but hoping Woly and Marsch can bring that out of him.   His skill with the ball is already MLS level though.

3. Anatole Abang - Dude has skill.  Rough around the edges but pulls some great things off.  Physically everything you want in a target striker.

4. Alex Muyl - Workrate is unreal.  Good speed as well.  Needs to improve his final pass and crossing but the ability is there.  Also still young so will get stronger.

5. Bilyeu - Doesn't have great speed but is quick enough and certainly a good left foot.  Puts in a good cross already.  What I was most impressed with is that he seems to have good natural defensive instincts for positioning.

6. Brandon Allen - Not overly physical and not overly fast.  Not the best personality either.  Have seen a couple things from him that seem to indicate he's a bit of a douche.  What helps him though is that he can finish, and he is a good passer of the ball. People compare him to Cooper, but I think Cooper was not as good of a passer as Allen.

7. Sean Davis - He's the oldest of the bunch, so physically he's in his prime right now.  STrong on the ball, an OK passer, has a real hard shot that he's not afraid to take.  

8.  Zoumana Simpara - Watched the last USL game and he really impressed me.  Came on late , is really young at 18 years old, but took guys on and looked natural doing it.  Good size and speed/athleticism.  Couple of more years of development and could really become a player.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Etienne has to get some games this season. If Pulisic can get games at Dortmund at 19, Etienne deserves at least a few in MLS. I don't know if it's Jesse or the team, but someone needs to take a chance. Turned out great with Miazga. But even his original opportunity last season was as much out of necessity as anything else.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'll go for this.

1. Tyler Adams - Kid has elite athleticism and change of direction.  Excellent speed too.  17 years old so a lot of maturing to do physically.  Seems to be mentally mature and will very likely become an excellent player.  Hopeful he wants to stay in MLS when he finally takes over.   The only thing that will determine how great he can be is how much better he gets with the ball to create offense.

2. Derrick Etienne - Excellent with the ball and can pass with the best of them.  Good natural athleticism and speed as well.  Doesn't fight as hard as he could yet, but hoping Woly and Marsch can bring that out of him.   His skill with the ball is already MLS level though.

3. Anatole Abang - Dude has skill.  Rough around the edges but pulls some great things off.  Physically everything you want in a target striker.

4. Alex Muyl - Workrate is unreal.  Good speed as well.  Needs to improve his final pass and crossing but the ability is there.  Also still young so will get stronger.

5. Bilyeu - Doesn't have great speed but is quick enough and certainly a good left foot.  Puts in a good cross already.  What I was most impressed with is that he seems to have good natural defensive instincts for positioning.

6. Brandon Allen - Not overly physical and not overly fast.  Not the best personality either.  Have seen a couple things from him that seem to indicate he's a bit of a douche.  What helps him though is that he can finish, and he is a good passer of the ball. People compare him to Cooper, but I think Cooper was not as good of a passer as Allen.

7. Sean Davis - He's the oldest of the bunch, so physically he's in his prime right now.  STrong on the ball, an OK passer, has a real hard shot that he's not afraid to take.  

8.  Zoumana Simpara - Watched the last USL game and he really impressed me.  Came on late , is really young at 18 years old, but took guys on and looked natural doing it.  Good size and speed/athleticism.  Couple of more years of development and could really become a player.

This is close to my ranking as well. Agree with the top... Adams and Etienne are two completely players, but are both dynamic players. I'd say both can be All Star Level players in this league at some point. Higher ceiling than that.

I'd move Muyl up to third... not a gltzy player, but a great complementary piece. He, like some others, works so hard that it allow more skilled players comfort to do the string pulling while he does the dirty work.

Abang has upside, but I'm not convinced he ever gets there. 

I'm kind of indifferent about Davis. Don't think Allen ever becomes a contributor.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

Imran520

Imran520

New Signing

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Davis I think will probably be an MLS guy.

he is good player.

Soccer   l    Live Football

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users