112 replies to this topic

#31 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:13 AM

The ref sees what he sees. I cannot imagine any "chump" that'll rat himself out in such a key game.

No worries. If someone takes out a player on the French National Team the ref either will or won't see it.

#32 radmonkey

radmonkey

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:02 AM

I'm not saying it's right, but anyone that has ever played soccer has had a handball that wasn't called by a ref.
It's not really on the Maradona level, it's hard to be that shameless unless you're Argentinian.
"Dave Checketts and SCP Worldwide partners Dean Howes, Kenneth Munoz, Michael McCarthy and Chris Bevilacqua, chose Real Salt Lake for the team's name because they desired to associate the team with a successful soccer club, and "Fire" was already taken."

#33 Eltiger11

Eltiger11

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire,Liverpool,Livorno

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Heartbreaking for sure...

1. Cheating sucks 2. The Refs have to call it.

At least Good Korea got in!
Excuse me are you wearing that?

#34 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

At least Good Korea got in!

YES.

seoul is a suburb of detroit!

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#35 AccountDeleted1

AccountDeleted1

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:15 AM

It's not really on the Maradona level, it's hard to be that shameless unless you're Argentinian.

I have a feeling Giaco would concur.

#36 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

I'm not saying it's right, but anyone that has ever played soccer has had a handball that wasn't called by a ref.

Well, except that he touched it twice, once to keep it from going out of bounds and the second to knock it down to his foot.

The Irish (unfortunately) aren't blameless, as Keane had a few chances to decide the match in normal time and muffed each.

Heartbreaking loss, in a week of heartbreaking losses.

#37 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Supports:Huddalis Aviation, B&CA

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

#38 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:51 AM

Here's the opinions of someone in the Chicago Spurs group....I can't say I disagree with him, and I appreciate the different approach to this he takes:

All in my opinion, but watching something in slow motion after the fact is not only a disservice to the players involved but the refs as well. Fouls look worse, penalties are clearer, and handballs are underscored. The only thing slow motion does is stir up the talking heads on TV and wind up the viewers. The refs do not have the luxury of seeing it in slo-mo.

Ireland should have gone out and won the game. It was theirs for the taking. Damien Duff missed a one-on-one situation that should haunt him for years. Did Henry handle the ball? That's not even arguable. He did. He owned up to handling it twice. But, does that mean that Ireland would have gone on to score had the goal been disallowed? No one can say. Did two French players win the game? They did not. They scored a goal. What happened to Ireland the other 119 minutes of the match?

Ireland won 4 and drew 6 in their 10 qualifiers. They should rue the draw against Italy that they threw away at the end and even worse, the draw against Montenegro. I mean, really, Montenegro?

Whilst what Henry did is not surprise and disgraceful, I have to say he'll get his someday.....maybe have a goal dissallowed on a big occasion when it was a good goal....but either way, everyone saw it, everyone knows it, he handled the goal shouldn't have been. I think the Irish were gaining momentum when that happened--but would they have pulled it off otherwise? Who knows.

My sympathy goes out to the Irish as the consequence of this one actio nis their country not making it in to the finals of WC2010. What a shit way to have been done. FIFA conspiracy anyone? Platini in on it?

#39 joey

joey

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire and the arsenal

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Posted Image

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

"I don't approve of your methods."
"Yeah, well... you're not from Chicago."

http://peterlowry.ytmnd.com/

#40 irish_steve

irish_steve

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Montenegro are much better than you give them credit for. They were put in the last pot with teams like Liechtenstein and San Marino only because they are a new country. They should have been seeded much higher. They tied Bulgaria at home and the only reason we tied them at home is because it was the last game and we knew that we were going to come second no matter what.

#41 WB05 Karl

WB05 Karl

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:gonzo art criticism, boozes, chicago punk rock, throwing stuff of porches, ruining people's parties, stuff that's loud, Patrick Nagel
  • Supports:the goddamn chicago fire

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

The seeding system, decided late in the process, is complete bullshit. FIFA definitely got what they wanted in this match.

Fuck of all of this.
:::democracy is not a happy idealistic society were everything is free hugs and freebasing coke in stairwells while police watch (that happens in frankfurt germany). it has it's ups and downs like everything. - WB05 Brandon:::

jawbreaker, constantly.

#42 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

My sympathy goes out to the Irish as the consequence of this one actio nis their country not making it in to the finals of WC2010. What a shit way to have been done. FIFA conspiracy anyone? Platini in on it?

FIFA does not care. They want the favorites any way they can get them. At this very moment they're probably working on a magic excuse to get Slovenia v Russia replayed.

#43 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:06 PM

or maybe, just maybe, people need to get a fucking grip

First, this, a million times. It's a game, lighten up.

Secondly, it was clearly a handball. Nobody will argue that.

After that, everything gets lost in the rabble. We can throw the word "cheater" and "disgrace" around, but without any insight to Henry's intent, I can't really get behind that sort of accusation. The contact looked incidental to me, but I'm in the minority amongst the pitchfork and torch bearing mob that is spreading across the internet right now. The only person who truly knows whether it was incidental or on purpose is Thierry Henry. Everything else is conjecture.

To imply that this stains an otherwise stellar career or somehow diminishes Henry as a player is ridiculous. Some people will choose to remember Henry by this, and only this from now on. There's not much that can be done about that.

To think that a player should stop playing or kick the ball out of bounds whenever they think they may have committed a penalty is laughable. If Henry did that, there would just as much uproar about him not playing to win or not being committed to his team. Missed calls are part of the game, sometimes they go your way, sometimes they go the other way. This miss is 100% on the ref.

Lastly, suggesting physical harm or a malicious assault on a player under any circumstances is classless.

#44 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Lastly, suggesting physical harm or a malicious assault on a player under any circumstances is classless.

That's why we have refs.

:pint:

#45 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

That's why we have refs.

:pint:

I just can't support maiming somebody due to a mistake on the field. To hurt someone badly enough to end their career will ensure that they'll likely be hobbled for the rest of their life. I'm not going to wish that on anyone, under any circumstance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users