365 replies to this topic

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

I'm not trying to defend Hamlett, but could it be like "he was doing the best he can with what he knows" [about the 2020 budget, which wouldn't allow for a $300k+ cap hit for a keeper].

or, it could be that he doesn't know a lot & is doing what we can with his limited knowledge, which...yeah scares the hell out of me.

Either way, not trading Robles away for a bag of cleats to Nashville is to Hamlett's credit- good on him for that. That said...I'm pretty skeptical about his ability to create a good roster for 2020, and I don't know how much of that is on him being hamstrung on budget and how much is him being not exactly Garth Lagerway (or whoever) at the whole GM thing. Basically zero idea where to put blame at this point, other than Jorgensen didn't really work out & last year we needed help & didn't get it. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I'm not trying to defend Hamlett, but could it be like "he was doing the best he can with what he knows" [about the 2020 budget, which wouldn't allow for a $300k+ cap hit for a keeper].

or, it could be that he doesn't know a lot & is doing what we can with his limited knowledge, which...yeah scares the hell out of me.

I think there is another alternative that Red Bull corporate has to approve everything he does and that he has not be given any clear guidance on how much he can spend, what types of players Red Bull wants, whether Red Bull will force an internal sale of the team's star player, etc. Essentially, he does not know a lot because he is kept in the dark by the overlords.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
If the overlords do not want to fund one impact DP player annually, perhaps it is time for them to go.
MLS has developed to the point where championships are being bought. If RB does not want to play this game, then go!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

MLS has developed to the point where championships are being bought. If RB does not want to play this game, then go!

The vast majority of teams in the league aren't playing that game. Most American leagues have a handful of teams with owners who are intent on spending as much as possible to try to be win (NFL has Kraft and Jones, MLB has the Dodgers and Yankees, NBA has the Lakers and Mavericks) while the majority of owners just want to make a profit off their investment and disinterested in winning. Even European soccer leagues, the vast majority of teams are not even really trying to win titles. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The vast majority of teams in the league aren't playing that game. Most American leagues have a handful of teams with owners who are intent on spending as much as possible to try to be win (NFL has Kraft and Jones, MLB has the Dodgers and Yankees, NBA has the Lakers and Mavericks) while the majority of owners just want to make a profit off their investment and disinterested in winning. Even European soccer leagues, the vast majority of teams are not even really trying to win titles. 

I mean, just in the Eastern Conference we have teams like Toronto, Inter Miami, New York City, Atlanta, and maybe soon Chicago who are willing to spend the money.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The vast majority of teams in the league aren't playing that game....Even European soccer leagues, the vast majority of teams are not even really trying to win titles. 

Its not realistic for the euro league teams to try and compete financially with the big Champions league sides, but pro/rel gives them all incentive to compete at whatever level is possible for them.     In MLS it doesn't require Arab oil money to be among the top spenders, and there are a lot of big spenders here now to compete with.    Toronto, NYC, LAG, LAFC, ATL, Miami, Portland, Montreal, Seattle....   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Hamlett has pretty much destroyed every part of this organization.

First team: obvious.
USL team: Force an atrocious Jorgensen to be played in each match (Woly isn't going to not play him given the cost), loan out starter Marcus Epps, do nothing with those funds and leave nobody to replace him as we fall apart in the last ten matches, then keep guys like Boateng and Elney on the USL roster for next year but let guys like Koffi or Louro go rather than offer USL deals and still have not signed Lema or Stroud, who are All USL team selections to either the first team or USL team.
U23s: Was the worst U23 season since the team started in 2010. First time with a losing record. Horrible flow and consistency. Most of the guys playing regularly were not from the academy (outside Skylar Conway and Brian Saramago), thus not HGP eligible.
Academy: How do you "build from within" when Hamlett fired his top academy coach, causing a wrongful termination lawsuit, another couple coaches to leave, and parents fleeing with their younger kids that recognize how poorly run this organization is right now?
We once had the most dominant academy in the country, now our U17s and U19s struggled through the ICC Futures tournament.

Then there is MdG and all the issues that he has done zilch to fix, then wonders why he has to lie about why he cant fill RBA.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Hamlett has pretty much destroyed every part of this organization.

First team: obvious.
USL team: Force an atrocious Jorgensen to be played in each match (Woly isn't going to not play him given the cost), loan out starter Marcus Epps, do nothing with those funds and leave nobody to replace him as we fall apart in the last ten matches, then keep guys like Boateng and Elney on the USL roster for next year but let guys like Koffi or Louro go rather than offer USL deals and still have not signed Lema or Stroud, who are All USL team selections to either the first team or USL team.
U23s: Was the worst U23 season since the team started in 2010. First time with a losing record.
Academy: How do you "build from within" when Hamlett fired his top academy coach, causing a wrongful termination lawsuit, another couple coaches to leave, and parents fleeing with their younger kids that recognize how poorly run this organization is right now?
We once had the most dominant academy in the country, now our U17s and U19s struggled through the ICC Futures tournament.

Then there is MdG and all the issues that he has done zilch to fix and then wonders why he has to lie about why he cant fill RBA.

YoU sHoUlD fOlLoW a DiFfErEnT tEaM. #Sarcasm 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This guy is just a joke. He literally has no clue on how to do his job.

I cant even balance him because he has no training, no qualifications and no experience to do his job well.

How long will it be until this embarrassment is fired?

Till they find someone willing to work for an even cheaper paycheck.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

Till they find someone willing to work for an even cheaper paycheck.

aka "The Right Fit" 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

This guy is just a joke. He literally has no clue on how to do his job.

I cant even balance him because he has no training, no qualifications and no experience to do his job well.

How long will it be until this embarrassment is fired?

Is there any doubt the guy was a figure head to replace Curtis after Marsch got him axed?

While Curtis had philosophical differences with Marsch and how RBG wanted to operate, its clear from his time in Toronto that he knows how to operate as a SD.

Jesse was calling the shots on player acquisition until he left . There are multiple transfer windows of evidence at this point.

The guy jumped from asst coach to sporting director

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The guy jumped from asst coach to sporting director

Ya know when you phrase it like that, at any proper sports team in the world this could have caused a god damn riot. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

And in Toronto, Curtis has been given control of the $$$ and is looking for big $ players. 

Hamlett? Not so much. We need an SD that's a closer. I think RBG's relying on an inexperienced SD so that they don't have to pay him all that much, either. Just doesn't make sense for RBG to keep an SD that hasn't delivered in terms of adding players into the roster that weren't here already (reserves/U23s/Academy).

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Our absentee owner with no commitment to winning probably doesn't even know who our SD is, let alone how bad he is at his job.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Our absentee owner with no commitment to winning probably doesn't even know who our SD is, let alone how bad he is at his job.

This.  They might realize when we miss the playoffs one of these years.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users