536 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal
People dont buy tickets because of the individual players but people for sure drop season tickets or buy less if they dont think the owners/club are investing in the first team as much as they are

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

People dont buy tickets because of the individual players but people for sure drop season tickets or buy less if they dont think the owners/club are investing in the first team as much as they are

Most casual fan engagement is driven by favorite players.  Only the hardcore nerds like us are more than vaguely aware of what the team is spending.   90% of the people going to games have no idea what any player's xfer fee or salary are.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

if you are trying to sell tickets and jerseys its dumb to hide signings

I dont think they care about selling tickets or merch.

We are just another asset to our billionaire owner. Keep costs low and allow the asset to appreciate in value.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Speak for yourself. I spend more money when we have an Henry or BWP, or Kaku, or Adams etc. on the squad.

I dont care about missing games (or whole seasons) nowadays but when guys like that were here i wanted to watch them play live and would make every effort to get to the stadium every game.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Speak for yourself. I spend more money when we have an Henry or BWP, or Kaku, or Adams etc. on the squad.

I dont care about missing games (or whole seasons) nowadays but when guys like that were here i wanted to watch them play live and would make every effort to get to the stadium every game.

I meant more that in our current business model you dont buy for the guys we transfer in. When bwp first came no one was buying seats to see him. When he developed into a boss we cared like that.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

This x1000. Remember when RBNY bought Cahill for $1MM and then he scored the goal of the World Cup in 2014? That was cool.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Mbappe recently paid respect to Henry with the goalpost celebration, which prompted me to go back and watch a whole lot of his RBNY highlights. It did make me realize how awesome it is, win or lose, to have a guy out there who is individually just flat out fun to watch. Red Bull's pragmatic, direct style doesn't really allow for as much of that sort of play.

We've only had a handful of flair players since Henry and none over the last few years. Guys who can regularly pull off shit that you never even considered to try. Grella and Kaku were probably the only other guys I'd say fit that bill. I'm hoping that's Luquinhas this year.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
I still cannot believe that RBNY STH stats have never been leaked.
Do they not even tell their own FO/ticket staff?
Surely there is a disgruntled ex-employee?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

"Worth the price of admission"

Sadly, there isn't anyone on the squad that merits the above distinction. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Adams and Marsch helped give this club a bit if a "dead cat bounce" in 2018, but the fan base erosion since then has been stark. I think we all can see the number of casuals is almost non-existent these days. However, what really hurts is the amount of die-hards you don't see anymore. I'm talking guys/gals I've seen over the years on road trips, at the Catas/El Pastor pregames, on the concourse near the South Ward, etc. So many faces that are long gone. Red Bull has done a hell of a job eroding the passion and excitement related to this club since 2018.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Adams and Marsch helped give this club a bit if a "dead cat bounce" in 2018, but the fan base erosion since then has been stark. I think we all can see the number of casuals is almost non-existent these days. However, what really hurts is the amount of die-hards you don't see anymore. I'm talking guys/gals I've seen over the years on road trips, at the Catas/El Pastor pregames, on the concourse near the South Ward, etc. So many faces that are long gone. Red Bull has done a hell of a job eroding the passion and excitement related to this club since 2018.

TBF, the covid thing certainly had some impact.  It will be interesting to see if there's any bounce back this year.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Erosion has been going ever since Titi left. Think of these boards, and all the names that used to post. Sad, really.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

TBF, the covid thing certainly had some impact.  It will be interesting to see if there's any bounce back this year.

We saw drops in 2017-2019 though which coincide with a lack of investment from a player salary perspective (among other factors too, of course)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

The tarps came before COVID...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Once the team started showing that it wasn't gonna come close to 2018's success, the ppl in '19 started to not come to games en masse. COVID had plenty to do with fans not coming, but this didn't just happen cuz of that. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users