• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Happy fun agressive soccer and much younger team with promise are all good points and save us from the F

Good points about New York Red Bulls: C-

I bumped them up from an F following their big win over Miami, which is their second in three games and had the feel of a statement win, or maybe an "ok, we're through the worst of it" win.

Maybe. It was enough to buy them a letter grade-and-a-half boost based upon how strong a performance it was, and the fact that they are now comfortably above the playoff line. They really did seem to be playing happy and fun and aggressive soccer for the first time all year, and they just smashed Miami on the rocks of that press. It was a throwback performance from a team — and an interim head coach — who badly needed one.

This is also pretty clearly a team in the midst of a rebuild. Bad losses and dry spells are part of the deal, but if it ends up with a bunch of the kids rising to the moment and earning starting jobs to create a new foundation, the front office will likely deem the struggle to have been worth it.

What they could've done better: They apparently could have handled Bradley Wright-Phillips' departure better. It's genuinely sad that he left on bad terms.

As for on the field stuff, I said my piece about Chris Armas and why I understood the decision to let him go. Bradley Carnell hasn't addressed all those issues, but in general the team has looked more cohesive and energetic the past few games. He's also making the wise decision to play Brian White more, and to use Kaku as a No. 10. That helps.

I am skeptical of their DP signings, but am willing to be proved wrong. I understand the frustrations of the RBNY fanbase, but I think if you had offered them "7th place in the East and a much younger, potentially more exciting team" at the start of the year, most of them would've taken it.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

"potentially more exciting team"???? 4 goals in 9 games is exciting???

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

What I gather from this statement is yesterday is the only game of ours Doyle has watched all year. And shit even yesterday wasn't exactly high flying, exciting soccer, we spent most of the game in our half. Miami simply gave up in the last 10 minutes.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What I gather from this statement is yesterday is the only game of ours Doyle has watched all year. And shit even yesterday wasn't exactly high flying, exciting soccer, we spent most of the game in our half. Miami simply gave up in the last 10 minutes.

He had as at an F grade up until this game.  He's been watching.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Fair, although as a counter pressing team you are supposed to spend most of the game playing against the ball, just higher up the pitch than we saw yesterday

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

potential more exciting that 1 SOG - faster paint drying through synergy

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

He had as at an F grade up until this game.  He's been watching.

Ha that's fair...

Fair, although as a counter pressing team you are supposed to spend most of the game playing against the ball, just higher up the pitch than we saw yesterday

I guess I haven't fully internalized us intentionally being a bunker and counter team, it's such a different look than anything I've seen watching this team since 2010.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The operative word is "potentially", not "exciting"

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think his point was that this specific game showed there is potential for us to be more exciting, which, of course, is a very low threshold to cross.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I'd give it a C- or D+.  As things stand, we are only one place below were we finished last year in the East and two places down in the Supporter's Shield standings.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

I'd give it a C- or D+.  As things stand, we are only one place below were we finished last year in the East and two places down in the Supporter's Shield standings.  

A high bar that is...

D-. We are shit.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I'd give us a C-. We have lots of question marks all over, but at least ownership is taking baby steps to right the ship (Armas gone, yearwood/tetteh in).

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
C- for the play, D- for the roster.

Armas was not helping things, but I still feel like we are bring a rolled up newspaper to a gunfight with our roster. Whoever the coach is, they need to shop for more talent before that person is going to be able to deliver consistent results.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts

I was mulling over why the standings looked so much better than the quality of play and then I realized that due to the odd scheduling we've just been lucky enough to regularly play the few teams in MLS just as bad or worse than we are.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

I was mulling over why the standings looked so much better than the quality of play and then I realized that due to the odd scheduling we've just been lucky enough to regularly play the few teams in MLS just as bad or worse than we are.

And yet, Cincy beat us twice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users