Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Video assistant referee.

No more "Hang the referee" chants. No more throwing bottles at the refs.  Etc. IF THE SYSTEM WORKS AS ADVERTISED..

Being new,  it will probably have its hiccups. But eventually it should make the game better and FAIRER.

https://www.nytimes....eferee-var.html

https://www.socceram...l?edition=17518

Frieslander

Frieslander

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Supports:Metro

starting this up mid-season is bush league.

Soy de Metro.

jerzyiroc

jerzyiroc

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

They really should have started this at the beginning of next season, not mid-season. So stupid. I have a bad feeling it's going to be a disaster. I don't like at all how I've seen it being used in the US. Maybe I'm going nuts but I feel like it's a much longer and drawn out process when I've seen it being used in USL for example than when I've seen it being used in Europe. As long as they aren't wasting 2-3 minutes for every review then whatever. 

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

These decisions are so important (even more so in soccer compared to other sports) that VAR was needed for a long time.

My only issue is that it never makes much sense to me to have the ref on the field being the judge.  Do it like hockey where it is viewed at a central location in Toronto.  Nobody cares if it's a bunch of faceless guys making the decision compared to the guy on the field. Even in the NFL they have it wrong.  Having the main official march over and look just takes too much time.

And I hope that people are smart enough to realize that it won't be perfect.  Perfection will never be achieved.  The idea is to minimize the glaring mistakes.  And it will do that.  Even with the incompetence of some of these MLS officials.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

These decisions are so important (even more so in soccer compared to other sports) that VAR was needed for a long time.

My only issue is that it never makes much sense to me to have the ref on the field being the judge.  Do it like hockey where it is viewed at a central location in Toronto.  Nobody cares if it's a bunch of faceless guys making the decision compared to the guy on the field. Even in the NFL they have it wrong.  Having the main official march over and look just takes too much time.

And I hope that people are smart enough to realize that it won't be perfect.  Perfection will never be achieved.  The idea is to minimize the glaring mistakes.  And it will do that.  Even with the incompetence of some of these MLS officials.

agree to that.  They should have a time limit on the review.  If it can't be determined in 1 minute (2 minutes max) go with the call on the field.

the list of revqiwable items is very small.   Per NYT article reviews In USL only happened every 3 games and took 1 min 20 per review although they are expecting more often in MLS play.  

It is bizarre to start mid season. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
Since I don't watch, do people think video reviews have made the baseball and American football games better in any way? Especially fairer?

I am not a fan of the idea considering how often refs (as well as most people) refuse to admit their mistakes even after seeing the replay after the game.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Since I don't watch, do people think video reviews have made the baseball and American football games better in any way? Especially fairer?

I am not a fan of the idea considering how often refs (as well as most people) refuse to admit their mistakes even after seeing the replay after the game.

Absolutely yes on both.

They still screw up occasionally with the reviews, but the percentage of correct calls is higher and that's what matters most.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Just was watching the pregame show from Wednesday, they were testing this at the game.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

They really should have started this at the beginning of next season, not mid-season. So stupid. I have a bad feeling it's going to be a disaster. I don't like at all how I've seen it being used in the US. Maybe I'm going nuts but I feel like it's a much longer and drawn out process when I've seen it being used in USL for example than when I've seen it being used in Europe. As long as they aren't wasting 2-3 minutes for every review then whatever. 

Where has it been used in Europe? I think Bundesliga will be the first league to adopt it next month. Unless you're referring to goal-line yes/no decisions, which isn't a fair comparison.

There will inevitably be growing pains, but as long as VARs aren't trying to be perfect to the extent NBA/NFL video replays attempt, it will be a huge improvement to have another set of eyes on game-changing situations.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Boy city is probably wishing that this was available today.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Boy city is probably wishing that this was available today.

Or in their cup loss vs us!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Or in their cup loss vs us!

I still don't think that ball crossed the line!
On either bounce!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users