Is Armas a good successor to Marsch?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: chris armas is a good successor to jesse marsch (71 member(s) have cast votes)

chris armas is a good successor to jesse marsch

1. yes (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

2. no (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

3. till early to tell (51 votes [71.83%])

Percentage of vote: 71.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

There was an article in The Athletic (paywall) where Armas still has weekly conversations with Marsh and they exchange ideas about both RB TEAMS

I think Marsch deserves credit for the style of play and Armas credit for superior game management, especially in terms of playing players where they are best suited and well chosen substitutions. I don't think you can separate the two so cleanly.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think Marsch deserves credit for the style of play and Armas credit for superior game management, especially in terms of playing players where they are best suited and well chosen substitutions. I don't think you can separate the two so cleanly.

I think the Armas game management stuff is a bit.. just a bit.. over rated.    He does make good halftime adjustments, but they shouldn't be needed as often as they are.   We come out of the gate too slow too often.  It's like a shortstop who bobbles the ball but makes a great throw for the out.   I'd like to think all these low-scoring wins are deliberate prep for the playoffs, where that type of game is the norm, but I prefer the early scoring, high goals-per-game stats under Jesse.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

a big if is does he put out our best team to win by 2 goals & clinch the shield? Or can he lead the team to the promise of securing the Cup? I've been waiting too long for it. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
There is plenty of credit to go around. No one is perfect. Marsch had the team flying. Still, there were times when it fell back to earth. Armas has seemingly taken a slower approach, but it has worked just as well, if not better. Jesse built a good team, with a lower budget that the rest of MLS. There have been injuries, and some players have not produced, but that is part of sports. To me, the Open Cup loss was a failure. OTOH, perhaps RB did not have a deep enough squad for two competitions, as seemingly indicated in the CL campaign. Now, we are down to the wire in the Shield. This is our most successful regular season ever, in terms of wins and points, so it will be hard to fault coaches if we fall a point short. Then, the playoffs, where the club has a complete history of failure. The bye avoids the drama of one-and-done, so credit management with avoiding that hurdle. I went to Chicago last year, pessimistic as always, but was pleasantly surprised. Then, as usual, there was the letdown v. TFC. Will this year be different? We will see. It is a bottom line business. There is no prize for second place, or runner-up.
To answer the thread title, Yes. But, can Chris bring us a cup? Still unknown. Jesse could not.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

I think the Armas game management stuff is a bit.. just a bit.. over rated.    He does make good halftime adjustments, but they shouldn't be needed as often as they are.   We come out of the gate too slow too often.  It's like a shortstop who bobbles the ball but makes a great throw for the out.   I'd like to think all these low-scoring wins are deliberate prep for the playoffs, where that type of game is the norm, but I prefer the early scoring, high goals-per-game stats under Jesse.   

Agreed in a perfect world, but if the intense start burns players out then Jesse failed to make substitutions when they were clearly exhausted. I remember more than one game screaming at him to make a sub when i could see certain players clearly worn out. Like I said, stuff to both like and dislike each for.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Obviously, inarguably, he's "good" successor.   Questions is, and we'll only know after our playoff run, is if he's a GREAT successor.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Armas didn't start BWP at CAM with a trophy on the line, so he's certainly not worse.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Armas.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Chris attributes RB success to Jesse:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=C4jIATES3QE

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elwey75

elwey75

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Supports:new york red bulls

"...When you see in front of you a building on fire, is when you  realize what a  good firemen you are..."

I want to see Chris reactions after one early goal conceded in an away game (Ex :1st minute in Columbus). I don't think that his usually subs can save us in one of these situations. 

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
I'd rather not have to test that scenario of conceding an early goal, but I do feel we are pretty well equipped to chase the result if needed.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'd rather not have to test that scenario of conceding an early goal, but I do feel we are pretty well equipped to chase the result if needed.

We are well equipped to face many situations. Its gonna come down to the same stuff it always does. Can we put the game on our terms? Can we avoid stupid mistakes? Can we punish teams for their mistakes? Can we finish our chances...if we only get one or two?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Score early in the first leg for the away goal.
Keep a clean sheet at home.
Easier said than done.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

"...When you see in front of you a building on fire, is when you  realize what a  good firemen you are..."

I want to see Chris reactions after one early goal conceded in an away game (Ex :1st minute in Columbus). I don't think that his usually subs can save us in one of these situations. 

I never want to see anyone's reaction to a goal conceded, early or late, home or away... because I don;t want to see any goals conceded.     But  if you are looking for a test, a goal conceded at home is a far better test.    

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I never want to see anyone's reaction to a goal conceded, early or late, home or away... because I don;t want to see any goals conceded.     But  if you are looking for a test, a goal conceded at home is a far better test.    

Why do you think so? The South Ward never stops singing and most of the other people at RB Arena never really do anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users