231 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The team is not doing anything of note this year.  It is another rebuilding year.  Rebuilding with a bunch of loans is like building a house on quick sand. That is what I said before last year, and it is exactly what came to pass.  

If Thelwell wants the team to consistently be in the top 4 in the league, that will never be achieved if 3 or 4 of your starters are on loan. 

And playing Barlow as 2nd striker is driving a car through a swamp ... not going anywhere. 

Last year, only Gutman and Edwards were true loans with no options to buy I think. I definitely have problems with roster in general but filling out the roster with a couple 1 year loans when other options don't work is fine in my book. Definitively a short-term solution, but a solution none-the-less.    

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

And playing Barlow as 2nd striker is driving a car through a swamp ... not going anywhere. 

Last year, only Gutman and Edwards were true loans with no options to buy I think. I definitely have problems with roster in general but filling out the roster with a couple 1 year loans when other options don't work is fine in my book. Definitively a short-term solution, but a solution none-the-less.    

It's short term until it's not. Easy to forget now but Murillo was originally brought in on loan. If Fletcher comes in and scores 10 nobody is going to give a shit. And maybe he makes a home here.

It would be nice to just purchase our players and put away the uncertainty. 

regulator

regulator

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
If the alternative to seeing Barlow is a short term loan with no purchase option...then give me the loan 100% of the time. Yes it's not ideal. Maybe this is a stopgap until we make a proper signing in the off-season. After all, it's much easier to sign someone in the summer than winter transfer window.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

perhaps he was exploring domestic options first

Can't walk and chew gum?    Wasted time, again,  on someone he couldn't afford?    They cut ties with Fabio three months ago, and knew they would well before that.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Can't walk and chew gum?    Wasted time, again,  on someone he couldn't afford?    

It's really not that simple. Suppose Player X is the guy Thelwell wants from Team Y. Team Y says, "you can have him for Z GAM but that's only if we get the guy we're after in Argentina who replaces him." Then you have to balance waiting it out for your first choice, which may take a while and might not even come to fruition, or immediately resorting to Plan B or C.

Thelwell gets paid the big bucks to sort this out so I'm not making excuses for him. I'm just pointing out that it's not as simple as just findign a guy in your budget and swiping the credit card. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

More loans.  We are going to be in the same position next off season as we are this off season.  All these loans just create instability.

Need someone who can play until ngoma Ryan, etc are ready this is ideal honestly.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Need someone who can play until ngoma Ryan, etc are ready this is ideal honestly.

Ngoma is only 16 and Ryan is house money. I don't think we can count on anyone internally stepping up within the next 2 years. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It's really not that simple. Suppose Player X is the guy Thelwell wants from Team Y. Team Y says, "you can have him for Z GAM but that's only if we get the guy we're after in Argentina who replaces him." Then you have to balance waiting it out for your first choice, which may take a while and might not even come to fruition, or immediately resorting to Plan B or C.

Thelwell gets paid the big bucks to sort this out so I'm not making excuses for him. I'm just pointing out that it's not as simple as just findign a guy in your budget and swiping the credit card. 

Yes, he has to balance all that.  That's what he is paid to do, and he's gotten the balance wrong.    You say  "I really want your guy, but he turns into a pumpkin by X date."   And as you get closer to X date, you start working your Plan B and Plan C in case Plan A doesn't happen.     

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Can't walk and chew gum?    Wasted time, again,  on someone he couldn't afford?    They cut ties with Fabio three months ago, and knew they would well before that.

by domestic I mean fletcher not Thelwell.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

This is a POSITIVE

fills back up position of need. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Yes, he has to balance all that.  That's what he is paid to do, and he's gotten the balance wrong.    You say  "I really want your guy, but he turns into a pumpkin by X date."   And as you get closer to X date, you start working your Plan B and Plan C in case Plan A doesn't happen.     

I don't disagree man.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This is a POSITIVE
fills back up position of need. 

Seriously some of you guys need to take a breath this is a good depth signing, even on loan. Not everything needs to be caveated into oblivion, this would fill a huge need

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
When Struber didnt mention a striker with his other concerns yesterday I was worried they were going to go until the summer with only Barlow as the Klimala alternative.

This also allows for them to play 2 strikers from time to time if they want.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Seriously some of you guys need to take a breath this is a good depth signing, even on loan. Not everything needs to be caveated into oblivion, this would fill a huge need

Hard to evaluate outside the context of the holes elsewhere but if you had told me last November that by March 1st we'd have Lewis Morgan and Caden in camp and Luquinhas and Fletcher awaiting visas I'd have been pretty damn happy about it. That's some serious movement to improve the attack.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Fletchers most recent IG follow is a NYC real estate agent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users