15 replies to this topic

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Do we go back to the dreaded 4-2-2-2 then, puts Royer near goal and Kaku on the left.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Do we go back to the dreaded 4-2-2-2 then, puts Royer near goal and Kaku on the left.

Royer scores goals but isnt a very good midfielder. The simple answer would be to get him closer to goal. How you make that work I dont know, but I wouldnt mind for the first half of the season trying

BWP-Royer
Kaku-Davis-Casseres-DP

They have to sign that DP though.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

The 4231 formation isn't the problem. The lack of a gamebreaking, dynamic winger is the problem.

agreed but unless they go out and sign someone then they need to see if playing differently will help in certain situations
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

People keep complaining about the right side but i still don't thin Royer was good enough this year. He scored a couple of goals but had a real habit of being nonexistent alot. 

i feel like two wingers are needed to be signed as well as a CM

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
What about a front 3 of BWP, Royer, Kaku?

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

People keep complaining about the right side but i still don't thin Royer was good enough this year. He scored a couple of goals but had a real habit of being nonexistent alot. 

is Royer perfect? no

But until the club shows the desire to improve our worst starting winger, I don't think we are going to improve our best starting winger.  So its almost a waste of time considering anything else occurring.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Royer scores goals but isnt a very good midfielder. The simple answer would be to get him closer to goal. How you make that work I dont know, but I wouldnt mind for the first half of the season trying

BWP-Royer
Kaku-Davis-Casseres-DP

They have to sign that DP though.

Like this or 433

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I don't see Kaku working in this system unless he plays in the middle of the 4-2-3-1. Those outside spots have to run like crazy and defend like crazy and that's not Kaku.  

Can never go two forwards with BWP.  It never works with him.  He always looks uncomfortable in it and it's always brought bad results.

Royer is fine too.  That dude is a warrior and he produces.  We just need a real athletic good option on the right side.  That's all.  Plus some luck with injuries.  We maybe beat Atlanta if Taxi didn't get hurt and Armas didn't lose his brain for a game.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I don't see Kaku working in this system unless he plays in the middle of the 4-2-3-1. Those outside spots have to run like crazy and defend like crazy and that's not Kaku.  

Can never go two forwards with BWP.  It never works with him.  He always looks uncomfortable in it and it's always brought bad results.

Kaku might not be a great defender, but he puts in the work. He aint no traffic cone just letting guys walk around him. Plus weve got two of the best outside backs in Concacaf. I think we can risk it. Get another Kaku type player that can play inside or outside and were set. Itll figure itself out.

As for BWP/Royer never say never. Something needs to be done in attack this offseason. If we have to try something new so be it. If it fails so be it.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
No need to change the system it works fine but in certain situations the team is either lacking experience or personnel..

The team hasn't learned yet to be clutch and or is missing one or two kind of players that can create and finish a chance when teams bunker down.

In my opinion a old score CAM or a tresquartista would be helpful to get, one that can score and also play winger...
I think a Edwin Cardona would be ideal because his long range shot and ability to score from distance and his keen ability to make the last pass would mitigate the issue, plus he's comfortable on the wings so he can also play on the flanks in addition to playing centrally so is the type of player that can play anywhere of the 5 middle in a 4231

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Royer is fine too.  That dude is a warrior and he produces.  We just need a real athletic good option on the right side.  That's all.  Plus some luck with injuries.  We maybe beat Atlanta if Taxi didn't get hurt and Armas didn't lose his brain for a game.

The 4-2-3-1 just doesn't work for this team if the goal is to win MLS Cups. Every postseason they get into a situation where it can't break the bunker and they have never won a Cup with it as well. Those are the facts, whether you like it or not. It doesn't win playoff series to the point where the team wins or competes for MLS Cup.

It's good for winning supporter Shields, but never enough to go the extra mile. It must change to something that gets more players forward and gives them a better chance to score.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The 4-2-3-1 just doesn't work for this team if the goal is to win MLS Cups. Every postseason they get into a situation where it can't break the bunker and they have never won a Cup with it as well. Those are the facts, whether you like it or not. It doesn't win playoff series to the point where the team wins or competes for MLS Cup.

We lost in the playoffs this year because WE tried to bunker, had nothing to do with play at the other end of the field.

You're also putting way too much stock in those 4 numbers that make up a formation on paper. The game is more fluid than that, next time you're watching a game actually pause it during different phases of play and look where the players are. It'll look nothing like the neat little formation you see in the pregame lineups.

Breaking a bunker is way harder than just "change the formation". It comes down to small details in how the players move thenselves and the ball in the final third, and let's be honest, a little luck in those situations.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
I think we should stick with what works. 4-2-3-1 works as a base formation. We can and probably should be more flexible with a deeper midfield pool if the owners decide to do their job and use the Adams money to upgrade the squad.

#RedBullOut

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
Don't change the system but have alternative systems you can use to close out a match or chase a match... Can't be one dimensional

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
You can win with almost any standard formation, talent and tactics matter a lot more than formation, and also generally dictate what a formation should be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users