• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Tarek starting is not a good thing... Hopefully that's not a long term plan. Have to figure Yearwood is banged up because he's a guaranteed starter.

From the few interviews I've read and seem, the players seem to be buying into Struber in a big way. Davis even compared him to Jesse and if Struber is that good, we will make playoffs.

Making the playoffs arent the bar. If hes good, it should be a home playoff match

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Making the playoffs arent the bar. If hes good, it should be a home playoff match

EXACTLY. 

At least ONE home playoff match. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Don't know how anyone can expect home playoff matches with this roster, even if Struber proves to be good. Just think it's setting yourself up for disappointment.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

MLS cup is the bar.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Don't know how anyone can expect home playoff matches with this roster, even if Struber proves to be good. Just think it's setting yourself up for disappointment.

I personally would be very happy to even make the playoffs.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I personally would be very happy to even make the playoffs.

My success/failure threshold is "better than last year" - finished 6th last year, so for me, 4th or better in east is success. 6th or lower is failure. 5th is a push I guess. 

There are certainly different degrees of failure, and I'm not saying blow it all up if they finish 7th, but I think success has to be improvement from the prior year. Due to the massive roster rebuild during covid, I think Thelwell had a harder time than other teams, but that's not a good excuse. 

So, success is at least a home field game for playoffs for me.  

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

My success/failure threshold is "better than last year" - finished 6th last year, so for me, 4th or better in east is success. 6th or lower is failure. 5th is a push I guess. 

There are certainly different degrees of failure, and I'm not saying blow it all up if they finish 7th, but I think success has to be improvement from the prior year. Due to the massive roster rebuild during covid, I think Thelwell had a harder time than other teams, but that's not a good excuse. 

So, success is at least a home field game for playoffs for me.  

Couldnt have said it better myself. Better coach, enormous depth (even if we dont know if anyone is good, we did add a ton of players) and I think moving up a whopping 2 spots in the East is doable. Not to mention the fact the East kinda blows this year

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

MLS cup is the bar.

Personally, any one of the 3 domestic trophies would mean a really good season. Having a good enough record w/o winning a trophy but getting a CCL spot is also acceptable. I said this as far back as 2015. Sadly we have to set the bar lower wrt baseline expectations these days. Still hopeful that this team can reach the playoffs. After all, the 2019 team was not the worst team in the league, despite it playing like it at times. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

MLS cup is the bar.

That's an absurd standard.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Personally, any one of the 3 domestic trophies would mean a really good season. Having a good enough record w/o winning a trophy but getting a CCL spot is also acceptable. I said this as far back as 2015. Sadly we have to set the bar lower wrt baseline expectations these days. Still hopeful that this team can reach the playoffs. After all, the 2019 team was not the worst team in the league, despite it playing like it at times. 

Yeah - I'd agree with that. 

For me - just as there are degrees of failure, there are degrees of success:

Top 4 in East - Success

Top 4 plus Trophy (i.e. US Open) - Huge Success

Supporters Shield or MLS Cup -  Tickle me pink

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

guys will have to step up. Under marsch, long, taxi, and grella came in and made a huge differences. Before that, they were not known to be impact players and many would have said that they are srubs.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

That's an absurd standard.

I reject the attempt by Red Bull to lower our standards. Instead I raise them.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

I reject the attempt by Red Bull to lower our standards. Instead I raise them.

Why?  Do you like being disappointed?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Why?  Do you like being disappointed?

That which does not kill us...

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Yeah - I'd agree with that. 

For me - just as there are degrees of failure, there are degrees of success:

Top 4 in East - Success

Top 4 plus Trophy (i.e. US Open) - Huge Success

Supporters Shield or MLS Cup -  Tickle me pink

my general expectation of success for any manager / GM combo of our team.  You are judged for requirements annually, and judged for preferences after you've been around for a couple years.  it's Strubers first year so i expect some growing pains but once he gets settled he has to produce.

Requirements

Playoffs Every Year

Winning Record at home

Preferences (need to accomplish at least 3 of these if you've been at the Club for some time)

Trophy obtained in last 3 seasons (shield, open cup, MLS Cup)

1200 minutes played by homegrown players (too fruitful of an area to not develop people)

Qualify for CCL in last 2 seasons

Host playoff game in most recent season

All "nice to have" objectives obtained

Nice to Have

Combined winning record against DC and NYCFC

Top five team in duels won in final third (sign of good pressing team)

Top 3 developer of USMNT players among MLS teams

Fill at least 2 DP slots (hate that i have to put this here)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users