• Supports:Metro
6 team group eh?

Atlanta
RBNY
NYC
Philly
New England
DC

They've got to get as many Heineken Rivalry Weeks into this tournament as possible.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I'm a fan of this but what happens afterwards?  Season over on Aug 11? 

Do we pick it up and march towards MLS cup?

This would actually be a cool annual preseason tournement...

I heard the league hopes to resume play in home stadia after the tournament ends (albeit in empty stadia), and that the results in the tourney will count towards regular season totals (I'm assuming only group play would count).    I'm going on an article I read yesterday in the Miami Herald, so perhaps they announced something different today.  If so, my apologies.

But I'm not too sanguine about the prospect of resuming the regular season.  Lost in the news cycle of the past few weeks is that covid cases are increasing in many parts of the country (not sure how much of this is due to wider testing, but based on the occupancy of ICU beds in many of these states, I'm guessing not much).  When you take out states like NY, NJ, IL, and CT out and look at the trend, well, it's not good.

Saw this blurb in the WaPo:

"Since the start of June, 14 states and Puerto Rico have recorded their highest-ever seven-day average of new coronavirus cases since the pandemic began, according to data tracked by The Washington Post: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah."

By my count, there are 10 MLS teams in those states.  If shit gets out of control, there's no way the season comes back (at least in markets that are getting slammed by covid).  

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

6 team group eh?

Atlanta
RBNY
NYC
Philly
New England
DC

They've got to get as many Heineken Rivalry Weeks into this tournament as possible.

Orlando is in the group of 6 and Atlanta and Toronto won't be in it...

"As the host team, Orlando City SC will be the top seed in the six-team group."

"The four semifinalists from the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Atlanta United, Los Angeles Football Club, Seattle Sounders FC, Toronto FC will join Orlando as group seeds, along with Real Salt Lake (the next highest points total in the Western Conference from the 2019 season)."

BillFromAstoria

BillFromAstoria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Liverpool, US, SUNY Purchase

I've been thinking about this one ever since the tournament became a possibility. Group stage games are regular season because they count in the regular season standings. If we make the "postseason", I think I'll make those as Playoff games, sort of like Merconore and CCL are mushed into International (and Leagues Cup would have been). I don't want to create a new game type for a one-off tournament.

I suppose you could just as easily classify them as Open Cup, or simply just "Cup" games, as there's almost certainly going to be no Open Cup this year, whereas there's a better probability of there being some kind of MLS Cup and MLS Cup Playoffs in November, December… the league hasn't ruled out having it in January of next year!

METRO T-SHIRTS!

1996NY.com

Even the losers get lucky sometimes.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

I suppose you could just as easily classify them as Open Cup, or simply just "Cup" games, as there's almost certainly going to be no Open Cup this year, whereas there's a better probability of there being some kind of MLS Cup and MLS Cup Playoffs in November, December… the league hasn't ruled out having it in January of next year!

It's all gonna be moot when we don't make this tournament based on some out-of-left-field tiebreaker designed to help Seattle.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
I am surprised that MLS did not just exclude us & NE
from the tournament and play 6 groups of 4.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I have to agree with those saying I don't get this tournament.

What my plan would be is simply aim to have everyone play everyone in their conference once and go from there.

So take everyone's already played games and if it was in conference great those matches count now so our match vs RSL would count towards to history but not standings.

Now send these teams down there and play as many games as you can maybe 6 per team of in conference matches. Yes this plan totally messes with competitive balance as some teams may be able to play big matches at home later in the season but what can you do.

So when teams start playing at home behind closed doors play the rest of those conference matches, this changes the aim for regular season as 24 matches which I think should be possible. We could get every team to 10 matches in Orlando and then have 14 left.

To me it just seems a better use of everyone's times but there must be a reason this wasn't wanted...

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I have to agree with those saying I don't get this tournament.

What my plan would be is simply aim to have everyone play everyone in their conference once and go from there.

So take everyone's already played games and if it was in conference great those matches count now so our match vs RSL would count towards to history but not standings.

Now send these teams down there and play as many games as you can maybe 6 per team of in conference matches. Yes this plan totally messes with competitive balance as some teams may be able to play big matches at home later in the season but what can you do.

So when teams start playing at home behind closed doors play the rest of those conference matches, this changes the aim for regular season as 24 matches which I think should be possible. We could get every team to 10 matches in Orlando and then have 14 left.

To me it just seems a better use of everyone's times but there must be a reason this wasn't wanted...

from their point of view i think they are hedging for a future lockdown so that at least there is one trophy/cup won in 2020 in case the season gets cancelled.  if it looks like the proper season will get canceled they can just make the winner of the champions for the season for purposes of CCL qualification and other things.    

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

It's all gonna be moot when we don't make this tournament based on some out-of-left-field tiebreaker designed to help Seattle.

Over/under on at least one team getting booted from tournament for multiple positive tests? *

*If team is Atlanta they will be awarded 9 regular season points and the champion's league birth due to extraordinary mitigating circumstances

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Orlando is in the group of 6 and Atlanta and Toronto won't be in it...

"As the host team, Orlando City SC will be the top seed in the six-team group."

"The four semifinalists from the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Atlanta United, Los Angeles Football Club, Seattle Sounders FC, Toronto FC will join Orlando as group seeds, along with Real Salt Lake (the next highest points total in the Western Conference from the 2019 season)."

Didnt realize Orlando was already given the 6 team group.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Dan, you made me laugh with this article image/thumbnail :lol:

disney.jpg

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I have a hard time figuring out if this is prestigious or not. Say Red Bulls win it. Is this considered a "major trophy" like US Open Cup or Supporter Shield? "MLS is Back" tournament sounds a bit like BS given just the name of it, if nothing else. I mean, saying we are "MLS is Back" winners just doesn't make me think - major title.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Dan, you made me laugh with this article image/thumbnail :lol:

disney.jpg

Not the first time this was used!

http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=4914

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.