597 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So what? Goal from an inch away counts the same as a goal from 40 yards away. Might be a reach to interpret anything from one goal outside the box for LAFC.

Being a credible threat from distance forces the defense to open up and creates more opportunities in close.   It contributes to the success teams have had parking the bus on us.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

and what ever happened to our proficiency on corners. We used to in 2015/16 have legit chances that seem to have evaporate like a high press in Orlando in July......

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Being a credible threat from distance forces the defense to open up and creates more opportunities in close.   It contributes to the success teams have had parking the bus on us.

You don't even have to score from distance that often for it to work either. The occasional goal and some close efforts is enough to make the defender think for a half-second longer than they otherwise would. That hesitation can lead to an open effort from distance or a slotted pass to someone making a run past a stagnant defender.

It's weird that this team has been so collectively limited from distance when the inability to break down a packed-in defense is so obvious.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

You don't even have to score from distance that often for it to work either. The occasional goal and some close efforts is enough to make the defender think for a half-second longer than they otherwise would. That hesitation can lead to an open effort from distance or a slotted pass to someone making a run past a stagnant defender.

I have noticed a meaningful increase in attempts from distance, but they mostly go right into a defender or go nowhere close to being on goal.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Chris Duvall, who Montreal and Houston gave up on, is a starter for Portland. Good for him.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Congrats to Gio.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=dhVe5tefTRs

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
And to Chris so Metro Duvall.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Chris Duvall, who we, Montreal and Houston gave up on, is a starter for Portland. Good for him.

ftfy

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

ftfy

I wouldn't say we gave up on him - he just got taken in the expansion draft. I'm not sure who we would have exposed then instead of him.

https://en.m.wikiped...Expansion_Draft

Funny that they could have had Aaron Long. Obviously he wasn't this version of Aaron Long back then, but still.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I wouldn't say we gave up on him - he just got taken in the expansion draft. I'm not sure who we would have exposed then instead of him.

https://en.m.wikiped...Expansion_Draft

Funny that they could have had Aaron Long. Obviously he wasn't this version of Aaron Long back then, but still.

http://www.soccerpub...4

Probably Meara, at least with the benefit of hindsight? Once Duvall was left unprotected, everyone thought he would most likely be taken.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Has anyone watched much of Duvall over the past few seasons?

Any real noticeable difference in his game since he left?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

Has anyone watched much of Duvall over the past few seasons?

Any real noticeable difference in his game since he left?

Haven't watched Duvall specifically, but as someone who watches a lot of MLS in general, I see Duvall from time to time.

I haven't seen anything incredibly different than when he played for us. Just a solidly average MLS right back. In a capped league, and at a position most teams neglect, he's a pretty nice pickup if you don't have a prospect coming through.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
I just watched the dynamo score 5 goals in 60 mins. Which is more than we've scored since what October?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users