15 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Other MLS teams have started playing friendlies against international clubs.  I don't think we have any scheduled yet.  Will they come later?  Are fewer teams traveling to US because of Euros and Copa America?  Or after last seasons conflict with USOC has NYRB decided to not play these anymore?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Other MLS teams have started playing friendlies against international clubs.  I don't think we have any scheduled yet.  Will they come later?  Are fewer teams traveling to US because of Euros and Copa America?  Or after last seasons conflict with USOC has NYRB decided to not play these anymore?

Playing friendlies abroad right now is super weird for Euro teams. I saw Eibar and Sociedad are in the US and was wondering what they are doing here. I think it's just shitty teams going for a cash grab, but judging by the Eibar attendance, it's not working out too well.

The int'l friendlies are typically in Euro teams' preseasons (late July/early August), and there are a bunch scheduled for those date for the big clubs (and, ahem, Leicester and Celtic) as a part of the 2016 Int'l Champions Cup that we participated in last year. Not sure what's going on - three MLS teams were in the competition in 2015 but no teams are on the roster this year, even though a lot of the matches are played on US soil. I'd be perfectly happy not having any friendlies.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Playing friendlies abroad right now is super weird for Euro teams. I saw Eibar and Sociedad are in the US and was wondering what they are doing here. I think it's just shitty teams going for a cash grab, but judging by the Eibar attendance, it's not working out too well.

The int'l friendlies are typically in Euro teams' preseasons (late July/early August), and there are a bunch scheduled for those date for the big clubs (and, ahem, Leicester and Celtic) as a part of the 2016 Int'l Champions Cup that we participated in last year. Not sure what's going on - three MLS teams were in the competition in 2015 but no teams are on the roster this year, even though a lot of the matches are played on US soil. I'd be perfectly happy not having any friendlies.

Yea, I don't want them. I get why MLS teams play them, but they're pointless for my money. I was just (happily) surprised none were scheduled (yet).

Escalators and Beer

Escalators and Beer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Everton, USA

I'm hoping this is starting to become a thing of the past for us.  I'm guessing the Copa America break may have something to do with the lower involvement from MLS teams this year.  Does anyone remember when these games are usually announced?

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I'm hoping this is starting to become a thing of the past for us.  I'm guessing the Copa America break may have something to do with the lower involvement from MLS teams this year.  Does anyone remember when these games are usually announced?

My guess would be that MLS teams would love to play in these friendlies, but the Euro teams probably make more money playing each other.

I received last year's PSG/Fiorentina/Benfica email on 05/28. Arsenal were announced as a 2014 opponent in late March that year.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I just like them because I flip the free tickets for some decent cash, but after last year's nonsense playing our 5th string against Chelsea (despite how well it turned out) maybe they decided it wasn't worth the headache.   But I doubt it.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Good ol' Charlie said that MLS was out of ICC for this year just because of the break.

My ticket rep said there will still be something this summer.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

As mentioned above I hope there will be... Our 2nd team is entertaining to watch and if I can't make it, I can make a few bucks.  

11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Supports:Metro Liverpool Lokomotiv Sounders

La Liga teams are in the US as apart of it's international marketing drive. Some teams have come to the US to help raise the league's profile and make the league and it's respective clubs more visible to US soccer fans. Raul is currently the head figure for La Liga in the USA. Check it out here.... http://usa.laliga.es/en/laligaworld

As to other clubs, the Euro's and Copa will slow down the traditional tours of the US, plus Charlie's ICC is also eating into the market. If you're into seeing some intl clubs on US soil, go check out the USL and NASL, many interesting match up's coming stateside this season.

Although I agree with those who say these matches are over priced and meaningless, they are fun to watch and some of my best moments watching Metro were against foreign clubs. Seeing Hagi w/Gala turn Tab Ramos and the rest of the Metro midfield inside out was a thing of beauty.

Metrostars FC -- "The hardest FC in the world"
Метро Красное Общество Звезды

If only all footballers were like David Bentley

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
We dont have international friendlies. NYRBII does and they are good at them.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I hope they don't stop it. Selling my seats to EuroSnobs has been great, heck that's when I recoup half the cost of my season tickets !  :cheers:

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
One as a bonus game is nice because MOAR SOCCER. More than that, no thanks. Remember the year carny Heck ended up making the bonus event a Manchester United training session? If you wanted an example of his contempt for fans that was the best one.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
Like to sell the tic for $$

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

I sold my Arsenal tickets for a lot, but the Chelsea game last year didn't go for much.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

I killed it off Arsenal and sold my tickets last year for +$100 each early so I am a big on these games if it means cash. Otherwise, no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users