#1 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:08 AM

I hate to say this but it is needed. Don't worry, it will be totally informal.

With over 1000 people in Section 8 every game, it is actually a hard and definitely very responsible job. I know most of you are trying your best but there is a lot you still need to learn. I am willing to pass on my knowledge of 10 years as a leader/capo in Section 8. Without it, we are only going to get ourselves into the mess and anarchy/disarray of tonight's second half.

I am going to use my authority and make this training mandatory for anybody who ever wants to show up in the capo stand. No more amateur gigs there, and I mean it. When I swim to Down Under this late spring (you cannot drive to Australia, can you?), you, other capos, don't want to disappoint my missing-for-three-months me, do you?

So, Sunday, April 20th, 12 noon (2 hours before the game), we are all meeting in the parking lot and I will give you about 15-20 min. of informal instruction combined with discussion and everyone's suggestions just so we can make our Section 8 product better than ever.

Unfortunately, we didn't use even half of Section 8's potential on Thursday and many people left disappointed, including me. Lets work together on improving and I am sure the results will come really quickly.

#2 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

I would ask that we meet once before that so we can all discuss this without the distractions of a game day. It's necessary, but on game day it's very difficult to communicate because of all the distractions.

So please, let's do this once on another day as well.

#3 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:44 AM

I considered meeting on a different day but I am not sure if we can set a date. Everyone interested in the training please respond here with times/dates that fit your schedule.

I am proposing today, Friday, at 7 PM or tomorrow, Saturday at 2 PM at a location somewhere downtown. UIC works best for me but it can even be some bar/pub but I don't want to scare other patrons out of it.

If someone cannot make it, we'll redo the training/discussion on April 20th at noon, before Home Game #2.

#4 Matt_ya_bastard

Matt_ya_bastard

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Finding new and exciting ways to get injured.
  • Supports:the world on his shoulders

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

I might well be in a tiny minority here, but I thought that the second half singing was good and (importantly) spontaneous. I suppose that it may feel like that to me though because I don't come from a background that has capos and leaders. Competing chants are a good thing! Also, big fan of anarchy :D

#5 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:02 AM

I would like to try this. Wont be wearing the sombrero though.

April 20th works for me, Get ready for some major hate for those who do not sing.
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#6 FairWeatherFan

FairWeatherFan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Women, Soccer, NBA, Swimming, Air Guitar Contests, etc.

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

please get some capos that don't look like jackasses up there.

#7 kornkid15

kornkid15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

I'll show up April 20th because i have to work today and tomorrow at those times.

#8 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:19 AM

please get some capos that don't look like jackasses up there.

That leaves out then.... :(
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#9 FIRExNECK

FIRExNECK

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, West Ham

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

.....it has always been my dream to lead "Don't Stop Living In the Red" with a packed Section 8.

I can't make it to any of the capo meetings. No worries, as Warren Miller says, "If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do."
:D

And I am kind of a jackass too!

.::ANTIFA CHICAGO::.
.::ULTRAS :: RED :: SIDE::.
.::They call me Jesse White in Canada::.

#10 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

Howsabout having some capos that have been in the section for a while. Who-are-ya capos may have enthusiasm but they always lose the momentum. It never fails.

I thought Pattrick did a great job last night.

Having two sections is gonna rock, we should be loud as fuck.
www.theredcardna.org

#11 penguinopph

penguinopph

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • Supports:CF97, Man U, Ajax, Bayern Munchen

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:57 AM

I'll show up April 20th because i have to work today and tomorrow at those times.

Unfortunately, I'll have to say the same thing because of the short notice.

#12 goldstone97

goldstone97

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Albion, Red Stars

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

Howsabout having some capos that have been in the section for a while. Who-are-ya capos may have enthusiasm but they always lose the momentum. It never fails.

I thought Pattrick did a great job last night.

Having two sections is gonna rock, we should be loud as fuck.

I agree with all this. I thought we were at our best when Pattrick was up there in the first half. It also looked like he was communicating with the other capo well, which is obviously a (fairly) new and important thing.
Section 8 Chicago Chair

WB05 :: Pitch Invasion

#13 Paolo

Paolo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, QuerĂ©taro FC

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

My thoughts on last night:

1. Two capo stands are great, but one of them has to lead. The one in 117 stand should have the better capo in it and the one in 118 should be there to help the people in 118 know what's going on. In other words, we shouldn't have co-capos per se, but rather one capo and one assistant capo. Otherwise, people don't know who they should be looking to for new songs and the capos themselves become confused as to what they're singing next.

2. I absolutely hate using a megaphone when I'm on the stand, but we need one and fast. On WAY too many occasions last night the people in 117 and 118 were singing at completely different speeds, and at least a couple of times they were singing different songs all together. A megaphone would make communication between the capos easier, and it would make it easier for people in the section to hear what they should be doing.

3. Who the hell was on the bass drum last night? We need someone that can do it loud and correctly.

4. I flipped out on some drunk 17-year-old who was shaking the stand while Pattrick was on it last night. When people see stuff like that, they need to do the same. Those things are super easy to fall off of (especially when it's wet) so we should aways have at least one person by the stand ready to fight off the drunk jackasses.

#14 Barrakouba

Barrakouba

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Apples

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

I would like to give this a shot sometime in the season, so I'm def up for the training now (and continued throughout the season). April 20th works well and depending on where, tonight might be able to work for me as well (can't make it tomorrow... Cubs game).

I think this is a good idea, Marcin :cheers:

Sidebar: I have some awesome pictures of everyone who got up on the stand in section 117 last night! :P

#15 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Don't get me wrong. Singing and chanting was good but with such a large crowd it can be much, much better. You'll be amazed when we really learn how to use our force.

We have a potential to improve very, very quickly to completely new heights. For example, it is a little embarrasing that 1200 people cannot be loud enough for the rest of the stadium to understand "Who's the best?!" twice in a row.

A little bit of competing songs might be OK at times but it shouldn't happen more than just a couple of times in a game.

Since the first dates/times don't seem to work, let's see if these will:

Sunday, April 6th, 3 or 4 PM,

Wednesday, April 9th, 7, 8, or 9 PM.

Monday, April 14th, 7, 8, or 9 PM.

My thoughts on last night:

1. Two capo stands are great, but one of them has to lead. The one in 117 stand should have the better capo in it and the one in 118 should be there to help the people in 118 know what's going on. In other words, we shouldn't have co-capos per se, but rather one capo and one assistant capo. Otherwise, people don't know who they should be looking to for new songs and the capos themselves become confused as to what they're singing next.

2. I absolutely hate using a megaphone when I'm on the stand, but we need one and fast. On WAY too many occasions last night the people in 117 and 118 were singing at completely different speeds, and at least a couple of times they were singing different songs all together. A megaphone would make communication between the capos easier, and it would make it easier for people in the section to hear what they should be doing.

3. Who the hell was on the bass drum last night? We need someone that can do it loud and correctly.

4. I flipped out on some drunk 17-year-old who was shaking the stand while Pattrick was on it last night. When people see stuff like that, they need to do the same. Those things are super easy to fall off of (especially when it's wet) so we should aways have at least one person by the stand ready to fight off the drunk jackasses.

Total agreement here. I wanted to make this part of the training. The capo will be in 117 and assistant capo will be in 118. We need to nail down the communication system between the two. It'll be easy when everyone attends. The assistant capo in 118 will HAVE to look back at the capo in 117 every 10 seconds or so (and I mean it) to make sure he continues the same song/chant and is in sync with the capo. Both capos working together will also have to have a rough plan of what they want to do (of course it may change with the flow of the game).

I am not sure about a megaphone but we need eye contact between the two and some good communication system that everyone involved understands. Same goes for the bass drummer--he should be controlled by the capo in 117 just like the assistant capo in 118.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users