62 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,820 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

How is Grelladinho not at the top of this list?   

When you consider the  biggest factors in jersey sales being star power (with salary being a fair measure of that), newness to the league, and size of the fan base, BWP's rank is impressive.     And when I look around the stadium, I am happily surprised to see Sacha in the top 20.  I think I see more Luke Rodgers jerseys than his.

http://www.mlssoccer...campaign=Unpaid

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

metro

metro

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

These are only jerseys sold on mlssoccer.com, not total jerseys sold. 

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

I am going to get me a Grella jersey eventually.  How can you not love the guy?  He makes less than most MF posters do and has scored some of the most spectacular goals of the year.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,175 posts

Grella is killing it and wears my favorite # (13)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Legit surprised to not see Dax on the list. Honestly don't think i have seen anyone wear a Sacha jersey.

still kickin

still kickin

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Supports:NYRB USA

would be interesting to see actual numbers rather than rankings.  Surprised by BWP, and especially Sacha. 

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Would like to find out how Grella developed considering he was in obscurity for so long.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Legit surprised to not see Dax on the list. Honestly don't think i have seen anyone wear a Sacha jersey.

Wear mine all the time.

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Would like to find out how Grella developed considering he was in obscurity for so long.

He spent his summer vacations in Brazil with Ronaldinho of course...

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Doesn't Grella only have a one year contract?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,820 posts

I think they only track sales of pre-printed jerseys from inventory.  I bet they don't count when you buy a blank jersey and have them put the letters on.  And since BWP and Sacha are the only ones they regularly keep in inventory....

http://www.mlsstore....d_Bulls_Jerseys

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Space Ghost

Space Ghost

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, RU

If the Grellavator only has a 1 year contract, he's going to be looking for a big ol' bump in salary next year.  I'm sure at this point he could have a number of serious offers outside MLS.

For a season as bad as DCU has had, the USOC title is whipped cream on shit ~~ VOR II

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,820 posts

If the Grellavator only has a 1 year contract, he's going to be looking for a big ol' bump in salary next year.  I'm sure at this point he could have a number of serious offers outside MLS.

I think he would do better inside MLS, where he's proven himself, if the rules don't screw him over.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

I think he would do better inside MLS, where he's proven himself, if the rules don't screw him over.

And he'd be very happy to stay with the team that gave him his chance.  Plus the chemistry that he will carry over is only going to make him better.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

And he'd be very happy to stay with the team that gave him his chance.  Plus the chemistry that he will carry over is only going to make him better.

Everything has gone right for Grella this year - the 7-second goal (doesn't get called offside, ball passed directly to him by the Union, shot gets redirected off defender and in) being a great example. All credit to Mike, goal doesn't happen if he's not playing hard right from the starting whistle, but a lot crazy shit happened on that play.

Different player, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up having a Wondo-esque career (comes in to MLS with little to no fanfare and eventually becomes a DP). Nor if this is his best season and next year we're thanking him for 2015 while holding the door open for his exit (a la Cahill from 2013 to 2014).

Grella has to make his money on his next contract. I don't think he would, or should, take less money to stay here. If RB doesn't pay him more than someone he goes. But I do think he'll be in MLS next season for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users