23 replies to this topic

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Im reserving harsh criticism for any of these guys until Armas is fired. I think individually each player on our roster offers something. Just a matter of making the parts work.

Which is not to say we cant upgrade a few positions.

If Armas sucks, it stands to reason that players under him might also suck. Davis went to Duke, maybe he needs Marsch's detailed polysyllabic explanations of what to do out there, as opposed to Armas waving his arms while bumbling out some random motivational word salad.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If Armas sucks, it stands to reason that players under him might also suck.

The team was great under Marsch. Then he left and the team started to suck. So it also stands to reason that Armas is the only real problem here.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

The team was great under Marsch. Then he left and the team started to suck. So it also stands to reason that Armas is the only real problem here.

I said it awkwardly, but I agree. I meant that maybe Davis doesn't actually suck, he just sucked this year due to clueless coaching.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I said it awkwardly, but I agree. I meant that maybe Davis doesn't actually suck, he just sucked this year due to clueless coaching.

I think Davis is probably one of those guys that isnt very malleable. He works well in a 5 man midfield as a pure 8. Protected by a 6 and complimented by a 10...and coached by a good coach.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I think Davis is probably one of those guys that isnt very malleable. He works well in a 5 man midfield as a pure 8. Protected by a 6 and complimented by a 10...and coached by a good coach.

Hes going to be 27, and its fair to say his game has plateaued?

Either way the center of midfield was a huge issue this past season and CCJ has the higher upside, so I think you have to pair a new DM with CCJ, unless you are going to get creative with the formation and tactics implemented

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We need 4 CMs who can start matches, to compensate for injuries/suspensions/callups. Need to keep Davis. I'd expect the team to keep him along with Rza and Casseres. Could use a TAM level guy to partner Casseres as the starting tandem if it's still 4-2-3-1. I also think that Rza isn't an everyday starter. He'd be the primary sub for the CDMs should any starter go down. But to keep him at $450k though? Rza's best attribute is that he can play alongside the 6, but can play the 10 in a pinch. But it'd be bad if he gets a lot of games, imo. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Either way the center of midfield was a huge issue this past season and CCJ has the higher upside, so I think you have to pair a new DM with CCJ, unless you are going to get creative with the formation and tactics implemented

Yes. Davis isnt getting much better. But again...I think he plays better under a decent coach.

IMO you build the team to maximize the talents of CCJ and Kaku.

The question I have for everyone: Do you play CCJ as a 6 or an 8? I could be convinced either way and in a way thats better for Ham Sandwich cause he can go look for a few different styles of midfielder in the off-season.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

We need 4 CMs who can start matches, to compensate for injuries/suspensions/callups. Need to keep Davis. I'd expect the team to keep him along with Rza and Casseres. Could use a TAM level guy to partner Casseres as the starting tandem if it's still 4-2-3-1. I also think that Rza isn't an everyday starter. He'd be the primary sub for the CDMs should any starter go down. But to keep him at $450k though? Rza's best attribute is that he can play alongside the 6, but can play the 10 in a pinch. But it'd be bad if he gets a lot of games, imo. 

I dump Rza.

I keep Davis as depth. Possibly a starter depending on how the team lines up and or if Armas is fired.

I keep Kaku and CCJ but I maybe push Kaku wide to open up the possibility of signing another stellar 10. Undecided.

Too many moving pieces to accurately predict how many CMs you need to sign. Id go after at LEAST one DP starting CM. 6 8 10 doesnt matter. Just get the very best player you can.

Then I sign Felipe as...oh wait...I sign Dax as a backup CDM and locker room leader...oh wait...I sign a DIFFERENT experienced CDM who has stellar leadership skills.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

CCJ is an 8 for me, he's got more energy than discipline and is great with the ball at his feet. I think he and Kaku could build a great partnership as well since they both like playing the same quick-touch style. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

CCJ is an 8 for me, he's got more energy than discipline and is great with the ball at his feet. I think he and Kaku could build a great partnership as well since they both like playing the same quick-touch style. 

Yeah I think CCJ is better suited as an 8, hes decent going forward and is a good striker of the ball.

I think he can play the 6 if need be but if we want this system to function better we need an Adams style destroyer type next to him.

Running back the same midfield with Armas as the manager is an extremely foolish undertaking.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Yes, and this is exactly when RBNY would be prone to move him.

His salary is getting very high, and he isn't going to get any better than he is right now. Felipe and Dax were moved under similar circumstances. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

i think both Dax and Felipe were making a lot before they got moved. more than what Davis makes, i think. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

i think both Dax and Felipe were making a lot before they got moved. more than what Davis makes, i think. 

2017 Felipe - 385 NY
2018 Felipe - 425 Vancouver

2016 Dax - 500 NY
2017 Dax - 412 Chicago

2018 Davis - 261 NY
2019 Davis - 327 NY
2020 ???

Might not be too far off... that said, would be surprised if he's not on the team in 2020. Also doubt anyone would trade us even 100k in TAM for him.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Our system doesn't differentiate much between a 6 or an 8. You just need two guys with good motors who can make plays on both ends of the field. Adams was an extreme outlier, but was that guy. CCJ is that guy. Rza can be that guy.

Davis used to be that guy, but not sure what his deal was this year in that he seemed to lose like 3 steps. He was constantly late to balls, and seemed fatigued when in past years he could last a whole 90. Based on that alone I'd say we need someone else out there instead of him.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Our system doesn't differentiate much between a 6 or an 8. You just need two guys with good motors who can make plays on both ends of the field. Adams was an extreme outlier, but was that guy. CCJ is that guy. Rza can be that guy.

Davis used to be that guy, but not sure what his deal was this year in that he seemed to lose like 3 steps. He was constantly late to balls, and seemed fatigued when in past years he could last a whole 90. Based on that alone I'd say we need someone else out there instead of him.

Davis has always been better the further up field he is. I think his best role as a Red Bull was opposite Royer as an attacking mid in the 3-3-3-1.

He's never passed the eye test as a #6 even though he puts up decent defensive stats. I think a lot of that has to do with his motor like you mentioned. Armas would put him out there in a 4-1-4-1 and ask him to cover the entire central midfield by himself, and his legs would just collapse by the 60th minute. For my money its the biggest reason we lost the CCL semis.

I think both Armas and Marsch preferred having a dedicated #6 considering how often they both tried to shoehorn Davis in there - Marsch in 2017 after Dax left and Armas this past year after Adams left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users