#1 Catamount

Catamount

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

The AC Article with the details.

I had heard rumors about this working as a journalist at the time. I could not get any confirmation. Sampson and Wynalda did a good job of keeping it private. It is interesting that it comes out now.

#2 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Waldo might be a piece of shit but if shit would create excrement, Harkes would come out.

#3 BassplayersFC

BassplayersFC

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,514 posts
  • Supports:B&GFC

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

It's nothing new though. We all kinda knew about it.

#4 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Jamesey knew about it for years, and tried to tell us, but we all just looked at him like he was crazy.

FYP

#5 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

:o :o

After years of blaming Sampson for anything negative about US soccer & hailing Harkes as a martyr, I'm stunned by this revelation & feel bad for Sampson and Waldo and all the crap they had to deal with, while knowing the truth :mellow:

What might be more eye-opening is how everybody kept quiet on the situation for all these years...shows the US media's attitude towards the beautiful game <_<

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#6 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

:o :o

After years of blaming Sampson for anything negative about US soccer & hailing Harkes as a martyr, I'm stunned by this revelation & feel bad for Sampson and Waldo and all the crap they had to deal with, while knowing the truth :mellow:

What might be more eye-opening is how everybody kept quiet on the situation for all these years...shows the US media's attitude towards the beautiful game <_<

I expect there were a quite few of us that knew something was up. I heard the rumor about several other wives besides Wynalda's wife. I also heard it bandied around in the So Cal coaching circles. So it was hard to pin down, and not something a journalist wanted to touch. If Harkes and Wynalda had been bigger names, I think the press would have been more likely to pursue it. As it was, soccer writers were not exactly high up in the eschelon of journalists at whatever media outlet they were employed.

#7 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Do you guys think he wore a rubber?

Gave her the shocker?

Who has a picture of this dime store hooker?

#8 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Do you guys think he wore a rubber?

Gave her the shocker?

Who has a picture of this dime store hooker?

Posted Image

Illuminating Big Soccer thread on the topic...started by our very own UCLACarlos way back in 2006...
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#9 Riggs.

Riggs.

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, your mother

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:40 PM

We can blame '98 on Harkes the adulterer, Harkes the adulterer, Harkes the adulterer
We can blame '98 on Harkes the adulterer, Harkes the adulterer, Harkes the adulterer

If harkes is doing a galaxy home game I say we do either a chant about him, or unfurl a banner with his dirty laundry on him. I'm no fan of Wynalda, but fuck John Harkes.

Adultery is a terrible thing, but when you yourself have a wife and you sleep with your friends wife you're the lowest of low.

Can you say Diana carfire?

#10 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:50 PM

I met the douchebag right at the Stadium Club Entrance before one of those ESPN2 Thursday night games.

Hide your women, Harkes is on the creep.

#11 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

I met the douchebag right at the Stadium Club Entrance before one of those ESPN2 Thursday night games.

Hide your women, Harkes is on the creep.

He looks like Fire Marshall Bill...
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#12 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

What might be more eye-opening is how everybody kept quiet on the situation for all these years...

Nobody went on the record, and Harkes and Wynalda both denied it for years. Harkes still denies it.

I'm not a fan of the "Oh, we knew all along" tone from the professional journalists, but what was a reporter supposed to do? Risk a libel suit?

And I still think Harkes was dropped for merit, or lack thereof. He used to be good, but then he got old and sucked. Like every other player in the world. He just took it personal, and he didn't have a national team coach to let him down easy like Bruce Arena did.

Cutting a World Cup captain for moral turpitude? Still not feeling it. If the Unabomber could score goals in the World Cup, he'd be on the team.

#13 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:50 AM

If the Unabomber could score goals in the World Cup, he'd be on the team.

Not in 'Murica... That team is known as Mexico / Italy / Argentina...

I think there was some shit going on...

I half expected this:

The big story of spring training, 1973, was that Yankee pitchers Mike Kekich and Fritz Peterson, who had been teammates and friends since 1969, had gone the free-swinging '60s sexual revolution one better -- they had not only swapped wives, they had, as Kekich said, swapped lives.

It began in 1972, when the couples, on a double-date, joked about wife-swapping. A while later the joke became reality, as Marilyn Peterson and Susan Kekich sometimes switched beds. Finally, during the offseason, Mike moved in with Marilyn, and Fritz moved in with Susan. They had swapped it all -- wives, houses, cars and kids. "We didn't do anything sneaky or lecherous," explained Susan. "There isn't anything smutty about this."

Before long, Mike and Marilyn split, but Susan and Fritz got married in 1974.

Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#14 Riggs.

Riggs.

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, your mother

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Nobody went on the record, and Harkes and Wynalda both denied it for years. Harkes still denies it.

I'm not a fan of the "Oh, we knew all along" tone from the professional journalists, but what was a reporter supposed to do? Risk a libel suit?

And I still think Harkes was dropped for merit, or lack thereof. He used to be good, but then he got old and sucked. Like every other player in the world. He just took it personal, and he didn't have a national team coach to let him down easy like Bruce Arena did.

Cutting a World Cup captain for moral turpitude? Still not feeling it. If the Unabomber could score goals in the World Cup, he'd be on the team.

He wasn't cut because what he did off the field was bad. He was cut because he created a situation that negatively affected the morale of the team and the locker room environment.

#15 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

Does anyone remember the John Harkes Fan Club?

I remember in the early days of the innernets, I suddenly started getting John Harkes Fan Club Newsletters when I didn't remember signing up for it.

Never read any of it, but someone has since made the comment that he was President of his own fan club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users