Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

2015 - 33 games, 30 starts, 9 goals, 7 assists

2016 - 32 games, 28 starts, 7 goals, 6 assists

Postseason totals - 6 games, 5 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists

He was a scorer of spectacular goals, but I'm not sure he was as productive as people want to think he was.  I'm not against him coming back, I just don't trust Marsch when Grella's an option.  Marsch, like he has with Muyl, has a comfortability with Grella and looks to play him over guys like Veron and Etienne even when his production has dropped to nothing.

You're underestimating how good those numbers are for an MLS winger. That's top ~5 in MLS both seasons, without taking penalties.

But I can't really see how its a good idea to reintegrate him back into the team leading up to or during the playoffs unless everyone ahead of him is hurt. He didn't look good his first few games back this year.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

You're underestimating how good those numbers are for an MLS winger. That's top ~5 in MLS both seasons, without taking penalties.

But I can't really see how its a good idea to reintegrate him back into the team leading up to or during the playoffs unless everyone ahead of him is hurt. He didn't look good his first few games back this year.

Come on man, those numbers don't even put him as the top winger on the Red Bull's in 2015 - Sam had 10 and 7.

In 2016 Tommy McNamara had 5 and 9. Is he a Top 7 winger in MLS?

Grella had very good numbers in 2015 and 2016. My problem is not with him, it's with Marsch's reliance on him. Mike was clearly was lost on the pitch in the Montreal leg of the 2016 playoffs and Marsch left him in way too long. And he played like shit just about every minute he played this season, yet Marsch still started him over Royer in the City Open Cup match. Luckily Armas was coaching that night and he pulled Mike at half for Royer, who got the goal.

Marsh gets this way with some guys. He's doing the same thing with Muyl now. Etienne has showed better in far fewer minutes, but Muyl still gets run out there every weekend.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Mike came back, got a goal, as a result played over Royer in the playoffs, and then proceeded to double his postseason numbers from 0 goals and assists, to ...

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Come on man, those numbers don't even put him as the top winger on the Red Bull's in 2015 - Sam had 10 and 7.

In 2016 Tommy McNamara had 5 and 9. Is he a Top 7 winger in MLS?

Grella had very good numbers in 2015 and 2016. My problem is not with him, it's with Marsch's reliance on him. Mike was clearly was lost on the pitch in the Montreal leg of the 2016 playoffs and Marsch left him in way too long. And he played like shit just about every minute he played this season, yet Marsch still started him over Royer in the City Open Cup match. Luckily Armas was coaching that night and he pulled Mike at half for Royer, who got the goal.

Marsh gets this way with some guys. He's doing the same thing with Muyl now. Etienne has showed better in far fewer minutes, but Muyl still gets run out there every weekend.

It wouldn't shock me at all if Mike came back, got a goal, as a result played over Royer in the playoffs, and then proceeded to double his postseason numbers from 0 goals and assists, to ...

In your heart of hearts, do you really believe there is ANY chance that Grella plays over Royer in the playoffs if both are healthy?  Sorry, but that's just not going to happen.

I don't even think Grella will play in the playoffs.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

In your heart of hearts, do you really believe there is ANY chance that Grella plays over Royer in the playoffs if both are healthy?  Sorry, but that's just not going to happen.

I don't even think Grella will play in the playoffs.

Honestly, I don't know.  I wouldn't have thought Grella would have played over Royer in the Open Cup match.  I wouldn't have thought Muyl would have played this many more minutes than Etienne.  It would probably be Davis to sit if Marsch started Grella.

I don't think he comes back in 2017 anyway, Marsch just scares me with both Grella and Muyl.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

If Royer is unavailable and Keita just isn't working out, who are the starters in that hypothetical game? Who are the 4 players in front of Felipe beside BWP and Sacha? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

If Royer is unavailable and Keita just isn't working out, who are the starters in that hypothetical game? Who are the 4 players in front of Felipe beside BWP and Sacha? 

Davis, Ettiene, Muyl, Bezecourt, Veron (though he's best alone up top)

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Got it. I'd try this if Keita and Royer are not available:

BWP

Davis-Sacha-Adams

Felipe

Taxi-Long-Collin-Escobar-Murillo

Robles

If Collin is unavailable, I'd slide Taxi in at LCB, Escobar in the middle and Long at RCB and put Muyl al LWB. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

If Keita and Royer were somehow not able to play in the playoffs, I think Davis is an automatic.  He's defensively smart, presses extremely well, and takes shots from everywhere.  Good balance for our pass-first offense.   On the other side of Davis I would go Bezecourt or Etienne. 

But I would also not hate the choice you made above Eleazar.  Moving Adams up because it also gets Murillo on the field.  Adams and Davis in those spots makes our press really tough to handle.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Davis, Ettiene, Muyl, Bezecourt, Veron (though he's best alone up top)

I'm guessing your list wasn't a pecking order, but Marsch's would presumably be Muyl/Davis/Veron/Etienne/Duka at this stage?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm guessing your list wasn't a pecking order, but Marsch's would presumably be Muyl/Davis/Veron/Etienne/Duka at this stage?

I think Davis is #1

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

A true fan favorite ... Hope this isn't the last we see of him but I think he's gone.

Perhaps we will see him in a Crew jersey.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

don't think he comes back in 2017

Perhaps as an opponent.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Loved Mike Grella but his time was over. Fastest goal in MLS history still. #nodoop

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Good luck to Grella. On his day, he is a joy to watch - few MLS players have his raw skill with the ball.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Wouldn't surprise me to see Grella retire rather than move his family to Austin... or Columbus.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/...041107508146177
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users