512 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

One thing I can't seem to find is away goals, mls says on the bracket page "Two-game series, aggregate-goal format." nothing about away goals. Does that mean there is no away goals rule? Would be appropriate considering we actually play pretty good on the road and are very good at home, meaning away goals would likely help us...

https://www.mlssocce...and-regulations

Conference Semifinals - The four Conference Semifinals will be decided by a two-game aggregate series, with the lower-seed hosting the first leg of the Conference Semifinal and the higher-seed hosting the second leg of the Conference Semifinal. If the participating clubs' aggregate score is tied at the conclusion of the two-leg series Conference Semifinal, the "away goals tiebreaker rule" will apply, where the club with the most away goals scored will be the winner.
If, at the conclusion of the second leg, the series remains tied after taking into account the away goals tiebreaker, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety. The away goals tiebreaker shall not apply in these two fifteen 15-minute extra time periods.
Should the score remain tied after the extra time periods, both teams will take five kicks from the penalty mark (and continuing into sudden death kicks from the penalty mark if still tied at completion of such five kicks) until a winner has been determined.
Conference Championships - The two Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game aggregate series, with the lower-seed hosting the first leg of the Conference Championship and the higher-seed hosting the second leg of the Conference Championship. If the aggregate score is tied at the conclusion of the two-match series Conference Championship, the away goals tiebreaker rule will apply.
If, at the conclusion of the second leg, the series remains tied after taking into account the away goals tiebreaker, two 15-minute extra time periods will be played in their entirety. The away goals tiebreaker shall not apply in these two 15-minute extra time periods.
Should the score remain tied after the extra time periods, both teams will take five kicks from the penalty mark (and continuing into sudden death kicks from the penalty mark if still tied at completion of such five kicks) until a winner has been determined.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

MLS needs to adopt USL format

MLS wants more, not less, playoff games.
Owners and fans alike want home playoff games.
Along with my theory that the format will expand to 16,
I would not be surprised if every round expands to H&A.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Form is everything so I'd rather not play DC as they've been on a roll.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm a big believer in sports like Soccer and Hockey that talent tends to matter most when in the playoffs.  Especially offensive talent. Because of that, i"d still really rather not play against Atlanta.  I think they have more offensive talent than us.  

Philly is the least talented of the bunch so I'd have to say that I'd prefer to play them even though I'm never really comfortable playing Philly.  I don't think we can lose against NYC, so if we play them in the Conference Finals then I'm not freaking out.  Columbus and DC would be a pain but I think we are better.  Even with how Rooney and Acosta are playing.  

We can't keep living by our backline though.  In the playoffs, the effort level goes up 200%.  Other teams are going to get a lucky bounce here and there so we are going to have to score.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Anyone can win. Or lose.
That is the nature of playoffs.
And the reason many people watch.
The target is on our back now.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

MLS wants more, not less, playoff games.
Owners and fans alike want home playoff games.
Along with my theory that the format will expand to 16,
I would not be surprised if every round expands to H&A.

This would be miserable scheduling wise with the 2 week break in November too and I never see them making the MLS Cup a 2 leg series.

The season already goes too late and a format like this would bump the end of the playoffs to late December.

I would really like to adapt the USL format as well. Higher seed hosts, 1 game knockouts. At least it rewards the higher seeds for their regular season success.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I would be ok with a slightly longer playoffs but only if they reduce the # of regular season games.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Form is everything so I'd rather not play DC as they've been on a roll.

DC is 12-4-4 since Rooney debuted.  Two of the losses and one of the ties came against us.  We've played against them during their run of good form and did fine.

City scares me more, as they came out played us much differently (and more effectively) in our last two matches than they did under Vieira.  They've played poorly as of late, but they just got healthy.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I'm a big believer in sports like Soccer and Hockey that talent tends to matter most when in the playoffs.  Especially offensive talent

There are so many examples in hockey where this simply isn't true. Just recently look how many times an offensively talented team like Washington got bounced in the playoffs early before finally getting over the hurtle last year when their defense and goaltending actually stepped up big time for once.

Devils have won a few championships in the past on amazing defense and goaltending as well.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I never see them making the MLS Cup a 2 leg series.

Right. I should have excluded the final.
Remember, originally it was neutral site.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

DC is 12-4-4 since Rooney debuted. 

More importantly - DCU is 13-2-2 at home. They played the entire second half of the season in DC. They won't have that luxury in the playoffs. :)

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

More importantly - DCU is 13-2-2 at home. They played the entire second half of the season in DC. They won't have that luxury in the playoffs. :)

And we were one of the teams to beat them there! I'm not afraid of DC.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We can't keep living by our backline though.  In the playoffs, the effort level goes up 200%.

What if our backlines effort level goes up 200%?

Slomojones

Slomojones

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Supports:NYRB
I expect nycfc and dc to win. That gives us DC.
This post is dedicated to all the slow defenders of the world. Godspeed! my brothers

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

They only won one road game all year, before Rooney got there. 

Also, could it be that part of Rooney's success in his first partial season, so uncharacteristic of foreign stars who come to MLS, has to do with the fact that he didn't have to deal with the much more rigorous travel that happens in a US league (vs. England especially?)

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users