170 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

January 13 in LA. Will we actually get some new players?

17th

39th

61st

83rd traded for Eckersley

Apparently the 4th round pick we sent to Orlando for Collin became a 3rd round pick that we acquired from the Scum for Acosta's rights. Whatever.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

January 13 in LA. Will we actually get some new players?

17th

39th

61st

83rd traded for Eckersley

Apparently the 4th round pick we sent to Orlando for Collin became a 3rd round pick that we acquired from the Scum for Acosta's rights. Whatever.

Actually planned on working in a business trip to be out there for it, but got talked into snowboarding instead.   Always fun to welcome the new supporters groups and show them how its done.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I personally don't put much stock into the draft anymore.  In the last six or seven drafts, how many players make the team, play and remain with the team the following year?  Think Ali and Jesse and their predecessors prefer to go home grown route, trades for guys with league experience already or international signings.  Shame, you'd think lot of these young guys could at least fit with RB II?  And from the looks of it, we got one pick in the latter stages of each round.  What are the chances we find a diamond in the rough?    

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

I personally don't put much stock into the draft anymore.  In the last six or seven drafts, how many players make the team, play and remain with the team the following year?  Think Ali and Jesse and their predecessors prefer to go home grown route, trades for guys with league experience already or international signings.  Shame, you'd think lot of these young guys could at least fit with RB II?  And from the looks of it, we got one pick in the latter stages of each round.  What are the chances we find a diamond in the rough?    

Look how well the Worms did last year with their 3 1st round picks last year. That being said, we're not picking that high.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Look how well the Worms did last year with their 3 1st round picks last year. That being said, we're not picking that high.

Meh... Yaro wasn't even starting by the end of the year.  I still don't like some of his physical traits for this league.

Rosenberry was a legitimate good player last season but let's see that continue.  Herbers has a lot to show.  And that was all done with 3 picks in the top 6.

I liked a lot from Bilyeu last season. No reason to think he couldn't be a starting LB in this league.  Gonna have a hard time ever getting over Taxi, but beyond him it's certainly possible.  I think Carroll will prove to be a waste of a pick because he just doesn't have the athleticism and speed for MLS but time will prove one way or the other.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Bilyeu looks like a legit MLS player, Stolz was a "special situation," and before that we got Duvall, also a legit MLS starter, if not a star.    We happen to draft late in he rounds, and have an exceptional HG/Academy system to draw from, but overall for the league, the draft still has value.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Considering Soler handed out our draft picks like candy, we've done amazingly well recently. Tim Ream, Chris Duvall, and Ryan Meara were all second round picks. I'm not sure any other team team has done so well with so little over the past few years.

With that said, this probably isn't sustainable, because as you mentioned outside of the top 5-10 picks its really a crapshoot. Even going down to 10 may be generous...

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

This year there are players floating around from defunct NASL teams. I do not see any of them being signed by MLS teams. Is that because MLS would require a special draft? Certainly some of them are MLS quality. In any case, some are being signed by non-USA teams.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
We need a Rosenberry level RB.

Any of those this year?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

This year there are players floating around from defunct NASL teams. I do not see any of them being signed by MLS teams. Is that because MLS would require a special draft? Certainly some of them are MLS quality. In any case, some are being signed by non-USA teams.

You'll likely see a bunch get invited to training camps and some signed as depth options, but I don't think there were many, if any, really good enough to warrant any urgency from MLS teams looking to sign them. Minnesota brought a few NASL players up with them but that's a slightly different story.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

MLS has a concept called "USL/NASL priority ranking". Looks like regular USL/NASL players have to be "discovered", and, if they are not on any team's list, it goes through the rankings. MLS is absurd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

Any of those this year?

Chris Odoi-Atsem @ Maryland is probably the top RB, but he's probably on the Scum's radar, and not likely a top 10 pick

NVM

http://www.mlssoccer...s-doppelg-ngers (thanks Juberish)

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Any of those this year?

MLS says it's Reagan Dunk

http://www.mlssoccer...s-doppelg-ngers

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

MLS says it's Reagan Dunk

http://www.mlssoccer...s-doppelg-ngers

Idk, they always hype up players too much.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Idk, they always hype up players too much.

I mean, they're the in-house media for the league.  They're not going to say, "eh, beyond the top 3 players in the draft, you're not going to find anyone worthwhile.  Tune in!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users