93 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Reminder of our former/current U23s and Academy at the Combine: Chris Lema, Mason Toye, Ben Lundgaard, Brian White, Markus Fjortoft

Game on MLSsoccer.com Stream right now:

Team Nemeziz
Brian White (U23s) and Mason Toye (Academy)
vs.
Team Predator
Markus Fjortoft (U23s)
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Looking at last years draft class. Did any of rhese guys break out and play meaninful consistant mins for their clubs?
https://en.m.wikiped..._MLS_SuperDraft

5 year plan

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Looking at last years draft class. Did any of rhese guys break out and play meaninful consistant mins for their clubs?

A few of those guys played some minutes and have some upside.

The draft isnt nearly as important as our own academy, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt do their homework. Theres always a chance to find a diamond in the rough.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Man that 2017 class has to be worst in some time right? I'd like to think I follow the league as a whole pretty closely and Gressel is the only name I'd even recognize.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Brian White only played one half, but had an assist and looked really good.

Fjortoft played decent. Toye definitely has the tools for MLS. Drops back into midfield to win balls and solid overall.

Blows my mind that the Red Bulls couldn't come to terms with Chris Lema on a HGP contract. Was easily the best player on the field in the second game.

@CurseofCaricola

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Brian White gets fouled in the box, scores on a PK. Has been solid as a right mid thus far at the Combine. Goal and an assist in 60 minutes or so played.

@CurseofCaricola

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
White had another good game, as did Chris Lema.

Mason Toye was a bit frustrating at times with his finishing after flashing raw talent, but destroyed a defender 1v1 in the final seconds then passed the ball off for a goal.

In the second game, U23 standout, Ben Lundgaard made a great PK save and another one on the follow-up.

Game ended 1-0. Goal was scored by our U23 defender, Markus Fjortoft.

Selfishly, I was hoping our talent didn't stand out in the Combine, but thus far all the players attached to RBNY have been shining.

@CurseofCaricola

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Why hasn't rbny traded away the rights for lema and white?

Seems like they didn't want to be part of the team. Might as well get a draft pick.

We did that with najem last yr

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Why hasn't rbny traded away the rights for lema and white?

Seems like they didn't want to be part of the team. Might as well get a draft pick.

We did that with najem last yr

White did not qualify for HGP status. He has been with out U23s for a few years but never played with the academy.

Lema could have been in that rare bucket, but teams have been burned on that in the past. Lema could have also said, I'm entering the draft so I'd turn down any HGP offer, if traded. Apparently, we never even offered Lema a HGP contract, which is bonkers to me.

We traded the rights to Bryan Gallego to Portland and that never panned out. Side note, Bryan recently sold a house to a friend of mine.

Adam Najem didn't exactly earn first team minutes last year and wasn't a standout in most games with Bethlehem.

@CurseofCaricola

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

White did not qualify for HGP status. He has been with out U23s for a few years but never played with the academy.

Lema could have been in that rare bucket, but teams have been burned on that in the past. Lema could have also said, I'm entering the draft so I'd turn down any HGP offer, if traded. Apparently, we never even offered Lema a HGP contract, which is bonkers to me.

We traded the rights to Bryan Gallego to Portland and that never panned out. Side note, Bryan recently sold a house to a friend of mine.

Adam Najem didn't exactly earn first team minutes last year and wasn't a standout in most games with Bethlehem.

I remember watching lema play when he was younger for the youth national team. I think it was the u 17 and i was like wow... this guy is a stud. But I never understood why he was not featured in other youth ntms. He kinda fell off the radar. Since rbny never picked him up, I assumed that he just never got better but the combine is telling another story.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I remember watching lema play when he was younger for the youth national team. I think it was the u 17 and i was like wow... this guy is a stud. But I never understood why he was not featured in other youth ntms. He kinda fell off the radar. Since rbny never picked him up, I assumed that he just never got better but the combine is telling another story.

It could be that post Brandon Allen they see him as a very productive guy, who just isn't the athlete they need to play  in our system.  We leave our holding midfielders on an island at times so if he can't cover the ground, no matter how good his passing is it won't work.  But on a different team he can flourish, he's a good player.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Bryan (Gallego) recently sold a house to a friend of mine.

As a realtor, or a homeowner?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

As a realtor, or a homeowner?

Realtor

@CurseofCaricola

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I remember when some people were going nuts thinking we gave away some star.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Realtor

Time for an MF list of current/former players with real estate licenses? From Meola to Robles, and in between?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users