• Please log in to reply
1725 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

When does mexican league start? Maybe MLS should start around the same period. Folks will say that teams in the north play in very cold weather... they can always schedule more games at warmer climate states during the first few games of season.

It's not that.  It's simply money.

Until we are even in the same ballpark with money spent on players, the quality isn't going to be there.  You can't expect to win when we are spending 6 mill on player salaries vs their 60 million.

That typically results in better players and therefore more wins.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It's not that.  It's simply money.

Until we are even in the same ballpark with money spent on players, the quality isn't going to be there.  You can't expect to win when we are spending 6 mill on player salaries vs their 60 million.

That typically results in better players and therefore more wins.

I thought the top Mexican teams were still around 20 million, but I could definitely be wrong.  What's really holding us back is that MLS teams can spend as much as Liga MX teams or even outspend them, but they're required to spend nearly all of that money on DPs rather than spreading it around them team.  A team of 11 players worth 2 million each will be a more complete team than any MLS side no matter who your three DPs are.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I thought the top Mexican teams were still around 20 million, but I could definitely be wrong.  What's really holding us back is that MLS teams can spend as much as Liga MX teams or even outspend them, but they're required to spend nearly all of that money on DPs rather than spreading it around them team.  A team of 11 players worth 2 million each will be a more complete team than any MLS side no matter who your three DPs are.

Looking again because I seen those numbers thrown around on twitter yesterday.   It's hard to get the exact budget and money spent on player salaries between transfers and everything.  

Either way, it's clear they are above us and until that changes, there's little reason to think that we'll be beating them consistently.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

transfermarkt is not the most accurate site for player xfer values, but it's ball park or thereabouts. i think it showed every tigres player is valued in and around 1m euros. for most MLS teams, only about a dozen players on any given squad is valued at $500k or more.

that's a huge difference. if every MLS roster had it's best 18 players valued closer to a minimum of $750k, gap would close and games would not look as lopsided.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
The talent gap is huge right now and not there isnt othat many teams to have many Americans to get paid 500k or more. I think there's like one at least maybe two in every team. We have Sacha and that's it. We had Dax and who took his place? Two kids making a fraction.

Its just about as average as parity goes. Now, if we can allow 5-6 DPs or simply a 20 mil cap to start maybe can close the gap.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

MLS clubs typically spend more than Liga MX clubs with regards to the players who occupy roster spots 1-3 (this is obviously skewed by guys like Villa and Pirlo making a shit ton of money, but whatever). Where the gulf in talent comes in are the middle-of-the-roster players where Liga MX clubs spend double (or even triple, at times) for those guys who occupy those roster spots 4-8 or so. Until MLS decides to lift the cap a lot more than it is now, does away with it (which it won't do), or incentivizes clubs to spend the money this will always be the problem. The schedule doesn't help either when Liga MX starts about 6-7 weeks before MLS does but it's more of a roster construction and spending issue than it is a schedule issue. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

minimum salaries have to increase. 

kinda amazing though, guys like Kenny Arena and Diego Jimenez made less than 15k when they were first team players. 

RB2 players contracted to the reserve side make $45k.

sure it needs to improve, glad we won't be going back there. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Completely agree minimum salaries need to raise but how do the bottom roster spots compare to those in Liga MX with regards to pay? Is it like it is in the middle of the roster?

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

Completely agree minimum salaries need to raise but how do the bottom roster spots compare to those in Liga MX with regards to pay? Is it like it is in the middle of the roster?

I'm not sure what the salaries are down there. but transfer values is also a decent indicator. 

Tigres has 18 players who are valued north of 1m Euros. No MLS team is close. 

http://www.transferm...ite/verein/7055

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

MLS clubs typically spend more than Liga MX clubs with regards to the players who occupy roster spots 1-3 (this is obviously skewed by guys like Villa and Pirlo making a shit ton of money, but whatever). Where the gulf in talent comes in are the middle-of-the-roster players where Liga MX clubs spend double (or even triple, at times) for those guys who occupy those roster spots 4-8 or so. Until MLS decides to lift the cap a lot more than it is now, does away with it (which it won't do), or incentivizes clubs to spend the money this will always be the problem. The schedule doesn't help either when Liga MX starts about 6-7 weeks before MLS does but it's more of a roster construction and spending issue than it is a schedule issue. 

Yeah that is why, even though I would rather just have them increase the cap outright, the "TAM" program is one of the most important things they added to the rules. It lets player 4-6 possibly be pretty good as well.  Still have more work to do though as a league

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

maybe the owners will allow more TAM to be used next season, they increased it by 400k this season, iirc. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

maybe the owners will allow more TAM to be used next season, they increased it by 400k this season, iirc. 

Exactly... Those numbers have to keep increasing significantly.  As long as they want to turn this into a top league anyway.

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Has it been mentioned, yet, rules regarding CCL qualifying teams from MLS just changed.  Starting next year, only MLS Cup and US Open Cup champs will qualify.  No more Supporters Shield winners. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Has it been mentioned, yet, rules regarding CCL qualifying teams from MLS just changed.  Starting next year, only MLS Cup and US Open Cup champs will qualify.  No more Supporters Shield winners. 

MLS usually gets 4 spots, so where are the other two coming from?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

MLS usually gets 4 spots, so where are the other two coming from?

LAG and the newest expansion team.   If either of them win the Cup or USOC, then the open spot go to the highest bidder.

Garber Rules.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users