#31 Chicano Fire

Chicano Fire

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Supports:Club America and Chicago Fire

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Saprissa handled D.C. pretty easily 2-0 ...

DC looked horrible. I went to BS and Ives and everyone is using the "MLS doesnt care about this tourney" which is a bad excuse in my mind. Almost as bad as when FMF uses the Superlige is our pre season excuse.

PR Islanders won 2-1.

Currently Pumas of Mexico is tied with San Francisco (Panama)---but SF is playing much better

#32 fireloco98

fireloco98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:soccer, music, different beers
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

DC looked horrible. I went to BS and Ives and everyone is using the "MLS doesnt care about this tourney" which is a bad excuse in my mind. Almost as bad as when FMF uses the Superlige is our pre season excuse.

PR Islanders won 2-1.

Currently Pumas of Mexico is tied with San Francisco (Panama)---but SF is playing much better

D.C. was playing a glorified reserve team in that game, and should have certainly taken Saprissa much more seriously. Why don't these teams even try to win the home leg?

That S.F. Pumas game was fun to watch. S.F. looked soo good on the ball. That goal scored by Pumas was F'n sweet though. It took a deflection and nobody had any idea what that ball was going to do.

I didn't catch any of the P.R. Islanders game, but I'm happy someone from our leagues won a damn game.

#33 firesting81

firesting81

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Supports:FIRE - DM Menace - Fulham

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Montreal just won 2-0 over Joe Public, who had destroyed New England. I think between the US Open Cup and the CONCACAF Champions League, the USL is showing it is getting on par with MLS. USL is undefeated and 3-0 in the Champions League after all, while MLS is 0-3.

#34 fireloco98

fireloco98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

Thats awesome that the USL teams are doing so well. I for one am getting sick of the MLS sides not giving a shite about these competitions. When MLS teams are putting their 2nd and 3rd teams on the field it's more like a reserves game. I think that should change. We aren't enhancing anyones view of our league if we treat every competition like garbage. You'd think that the players first of all wouldn't let this happen. Why can't coaches and organizations get it through their heads that these competitions are crucial to the growth of our league.

#35 Will Failure

Will Failure

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire, Arsenal FC,

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

Thats awesome that the USL teams are doing so well. I for one am getting sick of the MLS sides not giving a shite about these competitions. When MLS teams are putting their 2nd and 3rd teams on the field it's more like a reserves game. I think that should change. We aren't enhancing anyones view of our league if we treat every competition like garbage. You'd think that the players first of all wouldn't let this happen. Why can't coaches and organizations get it through their heads that these competitions are crucial to the growth of our league.

It's not really a coaches job to grow the league. They are supposed to manage THEIR team. Struggling in the domestic league means that you don't have an opportunity to compete in those competitions that you later treat like garbage. It means less money for you club. A team like DC, right now, has a good chance of missing the playoffs. If I were them, I'd want my best lineup in for the rest of the league matches. Even if that meant that there had to be second stringers playing in an international competition [that they probably weren't going to win anyway.]

#36 jogadubwise

jogadubwise

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Liverpool

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:56 PM

It's not really a coaches job to grow the league. They are supposed to manage THEIR team. Struggling in the domestic league means that you don't have an opportunity to compete in those competitions that you later treat like garbage. It means less money for you club. A team like DC, right now, has a good chance of missing the playoffs. If I were them, I'd want my best lineup in for the rest of the league matches. Even if that meant that there had to be second stringers playing in an international competition [that they probably weren't going to win anyway.]

Totally agreed.

Did it hurt the Premier League when Bolton sat everyone for their UEFA Cup games last season? It's time for clubs to care about themselves and not about the league's reputation. Leave Steven Cohen's MLS talking points at the door.
QUOTE (chicubfan @ May 29 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I interned in the FO for a little while and trust me they are so dumb had they payed off the refs they probably would have presented them one of those huge checks during halftime on the field.

QUOTE (joey @ Oct 8 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halloween specific stadium.

#37 rednow.red4ever

rednow.red4ever

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Reds of the Windy City

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:58 AM

With all the previous in mind, I do hope that the CCL reaches a point where winning it is at least along the lines of winning an MLS Cup....but with current formatting issues, its won't be easy....
Our friends will never walk alone.

#38 j to the jeremy

j to the jeremy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

Puerto Rico playing in a hurricane. The ball doesn't roll.
http://www.justin.tv/psn_2

#39 BBBulldog

BBBulldog

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Supports:Dinamo Zagreb; DCU

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

We were playing reserves, injured players (Martinez) and players out of position mostly because that is all we have left at the moment. Our squad has never been as destroyed with injuries as this season.

It's sideproduct of playing 5 tournaments in '08 (CCC, Open Cup, regular season, Stupidliga, CCL) and bad luck.

PS And I hope MLS and Garber step in front of a truck for forcing stupidliga on DC :)
Bad Blue Boys - Dinamo Zagreb
District Ultras - DCU

Volim te mama, al' ne vise od Dinama

#40 Chicano Fire

Chicano Fire

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

We were playing reserves, injured players (Martinez) and players out of position mostly because that is all we have left at the moment. Our squad has never been as destroyed with injuries as this season.

It's sideproduct of playing 5 tournaments in '08 (CCC, Open Cup, regular season, Stupidliga, CCL) and bad luck.

PS And I hope MLS and Garber step in front of a truck for forcing stupidliga on DC :)

I think the argument of playing so many tourney's is weak. It just shows that our league and its teams does not have deep rosters. Mexican teams play: FMF, pre libertadores, libertadores, cope sudamericana, superlega, CCC, and CCL and not many complain. If anything I complain that we dont have deep benches....raise the salary cap!!!!

If anything, its dumb that MLS doesnt spread the teams that play around
'
ie: 1st-4th play CCL
5th-8th play superliga, etc

#41 j to the jeremy

j to the jeremy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I agree. If we're to be considered the best league in N. America eventually, MLS has to exel in all of their matches with teams from other leagues. Doesn't matter if it's DC and they've played too many USL teams this year. I fear that a raised salary cap will do little to help though, as current players will just ask for more money, leaving the benches just as shallow and the quality of play just as spotty.

#42 AccountDeleted1

AccountDeleted1

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

Vamos Islanders!

#43 fireloco98

fireloco98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

That Houston - Pumas game was great to watch as a neutral 4-4 tie. Goals all over during the first half.

#44 Chicano Fire

Chicano Fire

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

That Houston - Pumas game was great to watch as a neutral 4-4 tie. Goals all over during the first half.

Really exciting first half. Tomorrow's Cruz Azul-DC United game should be good. I hope both teams play their A squads as both are nearing their respective playoffs.

#45 fireloco98

fireloco98

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

Really exciting first half. Tomorrow's Cruz Azul-DC United game should be good. I hope both teams play their A squads as both are nearing their respective playoffs.

Yea, that game should be good. I'll give the edge to Cruz Azul they have looked good lately. I'm looking forward to watching the Monteal Impact game though. I want to see why these USL teams are doing so good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users