Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The fuck you mean "finally"?

2013: Espindola 9 goals, Cahill 12 goals

2012: Cooper 18 goals

Hell, if you go back to 2011 we had Rodgers with 9 goals too.   We've scored goals for a while now, offense has never really been the issue.

Can you not see the difference here? BWP is one goal off of Cooper's season, with 11 matches left to go. The guy is working his ass off for us, and is doing what he was brought here to do. Sitting a striker who is scoring like he is to make up for Dax playing like shit, and Petke not having the balls to stick to a back four is asinine. 

Now is not the time to restructure our attack, it's the only thing that's going right for us. Now is the time to stick with a backline for more than three games, and find a solution, ANY solution, at holding mid. With the way Dax is playing, we may as well have Cahill and Peguy out there, couldn't be much worse than this. 

To put it another way, benching BWP to put Cahill up top is not guaranteed to work, and you run the risk of further fucking up the tiny bit of chemistry this team has right now.

__    __   ______Spirit_of_96 __ __     _____    
 /_/\  /\_\ /\_____\/\_______)\/_/\__/\  ) ___ (   
 ) ) \/ ( (( (_____/\(___  __\/) ) ) ) )/ /\_/\ \  
/_/ \  / \_\\ \__\    / / /   /_/ /_/_// /_/ (_\ \ 
\ \ \\// / // /__/_  ( ( (    \ \ \ \ \\ \ )_/ / / 
 )_) )( (_(( (_____\  \ \ \    )_) ) \ \\ \/_\/ /  
 \_\/  \/_/ \/_____/  /_/_/    \_\/ \_\/ )_____(   
                   Red Bull Out                                 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Can you not see the difference here? BWP is one goal off of Cooper's season, with 11 matches left to go. ...

IIRC... and I'm to lazy to fact check this .. didn't Kenny score 17 of his 18 goals in the first 3 weeks of the season (or something like that)?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I get that 'Dax, play better' isn't exactly a proactive solution, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the most important one. He's a key player, and in a salary capped league its devastating when a team has a guy like him playing hurt because there's often not a viable alternative. Its not all that crazy to think that benching a guy on pace to break scoring records so that Cahill can track back from a striker position to help Dax do his job as a defensive midfielder isn't an ideal solution either.

We still won plenty of games last year with Cahill and Dax together in the midfield, and they've barely gotten two consecutive games all season to do so again while healthy. Letting them get back into the swing of things may end up being better for protecting the back line than putting a more attack minded player in front of Dax.  Or maybe it won't, what the hell do any of us actually know.

Our record with Cahill and Dax in the midfield last year: (6-5-8)

Our record with Cahill and Dax in the midfield this year: (2-2-3)

So, 6 wins out of the 19 they were paired together last season...not exactly supporters shield worthy there and not a whole lot better than our current record either.  If you include both seasons...our record with Dax and Cahill paired in the midfield is 8-7-11.  8 wins out of 26 matches.  Yuck.

That's a large enough sample size to fully evaluate a midfield pairing.  The results are mediocre...which kind of backs up my original point that when we have Cahill in the midfield with Dax we tend to struggle.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

To put it another way, benching BWP to put Cahill up top is not guaranteed to work

Maybe, but pairing Cahill and Dax is almost guaranteed to be mediocre based on the two years of results we have.

#RedBullOut

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

I wish there was a way to fit Sam, Peguy, Cahill, Henry, and BWP on the field at the same time, but there just isn't.

-------------------- BWP -------------------------

-------- Henry ------------ Cahill ----------------

--------------------------------------------- Sam -

- Oyongo -----------------------------------------

------------------------- Dax ----------------------

Miller -------------------------------------- Duvall

--------------- Seka ------ Olave ----------------

----------------------------------------------------

--------------------- Robles ----------------------

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

letaureaurouge

letaureaurouge

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

I wish there was a way to fit Sam, Peguy, Cahill, Henry, and BWP on the field at the same time, but there just isn't.

Just for one game: stick Henry on the left, Peguy and Dax in the middle, Cahill up front with BWP, Sam on the right. Miller at LB because Henry is never going to track back and cover Oyongo's roaming tendencies...or if he does, he'll do it too much and spend the entire game at left back.

See if it works. 

hoboken16

hoboken16

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Pompey

I would switch Peguy with Oyongo because Henry is going to float wherever but mostly hang on the left.  Miller is going to run up an down the left side so just let Peguy float to where the other 2 are not

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users