251 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I kind of wonder if this is all a precursor to the loosening of MLS transfer rules. As it stands, they take 33% of transfers fees. Let's say RBNY buy Kaku for $6M, with Huracan keeping 20% of his rights. Then in 3 years RBNY sells him to a team in Portugal for $12M. Huracan would keep $2M, but then MLS also takes a 33% cut of the transfer ($4M). RBNY would have sold a player at double the price they bought him and ended up actually earning virtually zero profit. In this scenario, RBNY are paying a fuck-ton for an unproven player and have zero upside in their investment. 

But if there are profits to be made, then it makes perfect sense for RBNY to spend big on young South Americans. Yes, spending $15M on two players is a lot, but Red Bull are rich as fuck. They can afford it in the short-term. If in 3 years they are then able to turn that into, let's say, a $5M profit, then they've pretty much covered the cost of running the team for multiple years just from that alone. Let alone whatever is made from tickets sales/merchandise/TV contracts/playoff success.

Or this rumor is a bunch of bullshit, MLS is still going to eat into transfer fees, Kaku will break his ankle in April, and I have no idea what the fuck I am talking about.

The benefit of spending on DPs is that until you recoup all your acquisition cost money back MLS cannot take a cut of the fee you receive, so they only really need to make their money back to make it worth their while.  Downside for Red Bull here is a lot smaller than people realize even with the current rule setup.  I think personally after Veron, Red Bull was afraid to put not significant cash on a DP until they had the scouting system fixed to their liking (which makes sense).  You don't really need as many scouts when you are signing Henry's but you do for Kaku's etc.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The benefit of spending on DPs is that until you recoup all your acquisition cost money back MLS cannot take a cut of the fee you receive, so they only really need to make their money back to make it worth their while.  Downside for Red Bull here is a lot smaller than people realize even with the current rule setup.  I think personally after Veron, Red Bull was afraid to put not significant cash on a DP until they had the scouting system fixed to their liking (which makes sense).  You don't really need as many scouts when you are signing Henry's but you do for Kaku's etc.

Not sure what changes you think may have happened in the scouting function, I just think it is just as likely that ATL showed the rest of the league how it's done.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Not sure what changes you think may have happened in the scouting function, I just think it is just as likely that ATL showed the rest of the league how it's done.  

The guy from Leipzig being brought over.  Marsch even specifically referred to him even in the end of season press conference.  

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

The guy from Leipzig being brought over.  Marsch even specifically referred to him even in the end of season press conference.  

Yup.  We literally didn't even have our own head of scouting before.  imagine how much longer it would take to have guys focus on what you need when you have to borrow time of scouts trying to build a team to compete with Bayern Munich.  

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Interesting. That increases the upside, but still nonetheless limits it. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

For what it's worth, Transfermarkt says the most similar player to Pussetto is Hector Villalba.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

The Italian and Portuguese teams interested are Genoa Bologna and Benfica, respectively. Have allegedly offered $5m. Guess we're doubling the offer cuz Hamlett wants him now, rather than wait for the summer. 

https://twitter.com/...778065372602369

http://www.tycsports...uieren-pussetto

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Have to wonder if he's even interested in playing in MLS.

But today he was quoted that he was going to talk to his agent about interest from MLS so the rumor is definitely true. Would be unbelievable if we could get him in the summer. Normally not a huge fan of that but for a kid like this, would have no problem.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

The Italian and Portuguese teams interested are Genoa Bologna and Benfica, respectively. Have allegedly offered $5m. Guess we're doubling the offer cuz Hamlett wants him now, rather than wait for the summer. 

This is hard for me to wrap my head around.  I had resigned myself to the fact that we were going to be perpetually rummaging through the bargain bin for players (which, admittedly, we've been pretty good at).  I know this is all rumor at this stage, but still--the signs are encouraging.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Even if we want him in the summer, we'd likely have to pay a premium to get him to MLS

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
Could all this have happened last off-season, if Curtis was handled quicker? Quasi maddening thought, given how close they were in open cup and vs Toronto.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

would've been nice, right? 

i do like the direction we're heading though...

BACK TO THE 1% DERBY!!!!

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

lolz

Pussetto.jpg

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Thrilled as anyone to see the wallet coming out again, but is there any risk to overspending here? Pussetto at age 22 doesn't seem to be anywhere near the Argentine national team, seems very unlikely that we'd be able to flip him for a profit unless he has a few truly godlike seasons in MLS. You gotta figure RB knows the risk though, maybe they figure even recouping some of their initial investment beats the sunk cost that is older Euro players?

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Not believing this rumor for a second as the Gamarra deal just isn't going through. Might not even get either of them at this rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users