SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

MLS just announced plans to start April 3:
https://www.newyorkr...n-begin-april-3

Totally missed that, thanks. Have no idea why they are wasting their time with an all star game this season. Was the perfect opportunity to get rid of it for good.

Walter Tymczyna

Walter Tymczyna

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Cars, Beagles, etc...
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Players get bonuses when they get voted into All Star games so my guess it's b/c there's a chance for more $.

--- Red Bulls & NY Jets will win a championship after my lifetime so kill me now. ---

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Totally missed that, thanks. Have no idea why they are wasting their time with an all star game this season. Was the perfect opportunity to get rid of it for good.

2020 was going to be MLS Allstar vs. LigaMX Allstars - that could be cool. That, or an all star pool is selected and two captains are somehow selected who pick players school yard style. 

I agree the current set up of all stars playing a European club is very stupid on multiple levels. 

I don't get pumped up for the all star game, but I like keeping American oddities in the MLS. I like that we play soccer, not football. I dislike the "Inter" "Real" " Sporting" and even F.C. names.    

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

2020 was going to be MLS Allstar vs. LigaMX Allstars - that could be cool. That, or an all star pool is selected and two captains are somehow selected who pick players school yard style. 

I agree the current set up of all stars playing a European club is very stupid on multiple levels. 

I don't get pumped up for the all star game, but I like keeping American oddities in the MLS. I like that we play soccer, not football. I dislike the "Inter" "Real" " Sporting" and even F.C. names.    

I don't like the games period, didn't attend the one at RBA either and haven't watched the past few.

I was more thinking especially for this season that it makes less sense to play this game with an already condensed schedule, also have to factor in that there might be some postponed games early into the season with positive covid tests.

Agree about the Real, Sporting and especially Football thing, it's callled MLS, no team should have been allowed to name their team football.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
All Star Games are essentially a relic of the past. They were very popular because until the advent of being able to see tons of out of market games it was a rare chance to see great players you didn't get much of a chance to see. The most significant ASG, the MLB one, essentially died with the introduction of interleague play in 1997. NHL one will never go away as the event funds the player's pensions.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

They should scrap the All Star game in the traditional sense and just turn it into a mini 3v3 futsal tournament (a la the awesome Nike Commercials from the 90s: https://www.youtube....XPI7Vur1Y&t=36s).

- fans vote for their top players in each conference (same as today)

- the top X vote getters are captains of a team of 3

- NFL draft style where each captain goes around selecting his "team"

- tourney style, short games (first to 3 goals)

- games need to be played inside a cage for maximum impact

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,985 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

They should scrap the All Star game in the traditional sense and just turn it into a mini 3v3 futsal tournament (a la the awesome Nike Commercials from the 90s: https://www.youtube....XPI7Vur1Y&t=36s).

- fans vote for their top players in each conference (same as today)

- the top X vote getters are captains of a team of 3

- NFL draft style where each captain goes around selecting his "team"

- tourney style, short games (first to 3 goals)

- games need to be played inside a cage for maximum impact

All Star Game at the Harrison Courts?

https://www.nj.com/j...ack_at_the.html

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
Had no idea this was even on last night nor did I know they had a skills contest this year. Oops lol

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Had no idea this was even on last night

Nor did I. Saw this after the fact:
https://sports.yahoo...-040742598.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
Very low FS1 viewership, much better on TUDN:
https://theathletic....sh-and-spanish/
175,000 v. 1,400,000.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Glad no RBNY players were contractually forced into playing a meaningless friendly. Great year for the all star game.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

John Flushing

John Flushing

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:www.metrofanatic.com
  • Supports:My Own Self Interests.

I myself also wish that they would abolish the M.L.S. All Star Game (it is a waste of time). The Euroleague teams (and possibly the Mexican league teams, etcetera), have traditionally come to the United States to play each other (during the preseason), and also to play against the individual club teams. There is no need to factor an All Star Game into the equation.

5976240672_8faf5e32d2.jpg

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

The All-Star game was interesting back in the days when it was hard to see European soccer matches on TV and big name clubs would come to beat the MLS All Stars. Now we can watch the Premiership on broadcast TV using an antenna on weekends and it doesn’t matter at all. None of the all-stars from this year’s MLS or Liga MX teams gave a crap about the result, so why should we either as fans?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
With 27 teams, soon to be 30, in MLS,
if it continues at all it should be East v. West.
Unless there are not enough stars in the league ...

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
Lots of bitching here about the All Star game but this was the only year it was exciting. There was a lot of USA-Mexico vibes but it seems like the Anglo fans completely hated it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users