120 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

No it's not. If we continue to defend like this we're going to give up goals at home. If we drop points at home we're in big trouble.

If it helps settle your concerns any, we have a better defensive record than every single team trying to catch us.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think we treat it the same as the last go around. Rest the players on the game following the Open Cup. Don't like the idea of our players going 10 days between games so they should play vs Philly. Just take the meaningful guys like BWP and Sacha out early.

I get that approach for a normal three games in 10 day stretch, but the team needs to have everything in the tank when they take the pitch in KC on Wednesday.  

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You can't make comparisons between the road and home.  And clearly ya, if we drop points at home we're going to be in trouble, but we won't be dropping enough for it to matter.

We are making the playoffs, it's just a question of seed.  And to be honest, I'm not so sure that seeding matters much in this league.  I've bothered caring about it before and it's meant absolute shit.  Just make it and get hot.  That's all these playoffs are about.  Not even much about being good.

We haven't had a cleansheet in a month and a half. If that continues we will drop more points at home. If that happens the playoffs aren't guaranteed.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Let's see how much seeding doesn't matter if we have to travel to Atlanta for a play-in game or face Toronto in the first home & home series.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Let's see how much seeding doesn't matter if we have to travel to Atlanta for a play-in game or face Toronto in the first home & home series.

Off-topic but can we please call it a home and away series or a two-legged series? Home and home makes zero sense if you spend more than a second thinking about it.

Other than that, I completely agree. Much better to play NYC than TFC, and we need to think about having more points than West teams as well.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

1pm kickoff sunday game... Great

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I get that approach for a normal three games in 10 day stretch, but the team needs to have everything in the tank when they take the pitch in KC on Wednesday.  

I guess it comes down to having everything in the tank vs rust.  I can probably be convinced either way.  Sports are very momentum based though an I'd hate to chalk up a loss against Philly because it can start the wrong trend going into the KC game. Teams usually don't just alternate wins and losses, they both come in bunches generally speaking.  

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Have watched people around here talk about those things and bought into it before only to see it mean nothing.  Have also watched people talk about how much of a disadvantage it would be for teams to have the extra game only a few days before the next and it rarely matters.  Especially when it comes to this team.

I really don't care much about seeding.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Have watched people around here talk about those things and bought into it before only to see it mean nothing.  Have also watched people talk about how much of a disadvantage it would be for teams to have the extra game only a few days before the next and it rarely matters.  Especially when it comes to this team.

I really don't care much about seeding.  

I agree having to play the play-in game doesn't change your chance of winning the next series all that much.  Unless of course you lose the play-in game, then you have zero chance of winning the next series.  And, I think we have a much better chance of winning the play-in game at home than we do in Chicago or Atlanta.  So I do care about seeding, at least on that level.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

gotta love competing with the NFL.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I agree having to play the play-in game doesn't change your chance of winning the next series all that much.  Unless of course you lose the play-in game, then you have zero chance of winning the next series.  And, I think we have a much better chance of winning the play-in game at home than we do in Chicago or Atlanta.  So I do care about seeding, at least on that level.

I also prefer to attend a play in game if we have one, without travelling

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Ahh, yes.  Same in that regard.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

Is it at least on national TV?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts

Is it at least on national TV?

ESPN

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

gotta love competing with the NFL.  

I agree with you both, but on the bright side, the Jets are away at 4 and the Giants don't play until Monday night. So, hopefully it doesn't detract from attendance much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users