• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Do I have a gift for you guys!  While going through some old stuff, I found the DVDs I made of various MetroStars and MLS stuff off TV back in 2005, so I am beginning to rip them and post them on YouTube for everyone to enjoy.

This first video is an episode of the old MetroStars show on MSG called "Metro Soccer Report" hosted by Shep Messing and Survivor winner Ethan Zohn.  They go through highlights of the 08/14/2005 MetroStars 2-1 victory over the Columbus Crew (who featured John Wolyniec at the time).  The Harrison stadium that would eventually become Red Bull Arena had just been approved, so they also interview fans about what they wanted to see featured at the new stadium.  A lot of you who post on here are interviewed and so is Johnny Toro (who was known at the time as Johnny Metro).

This should be a fun trip down memory lane for us old timers and hopefully this will give a little bit of perspective for the newer fans who don't know team history as well.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AFqUEKjgHrY

ig101

ig101

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Pretty good video!  How many dvds have you found?  :cheers:

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund
  • Supports:MetroStars

Awesome!

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

nice

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Pretty good video!  How many dvds have you found?  :cheers:

I've found three DVDs of stuff.  Some of this stuff is pretty rare these days.  I haven't found it online anywhere.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
  • Interests:Futbol, linux, hunting, drinking beer
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

I've transferred the 96 & 97 year end reviews from VHS. Obviously they're in standard def. Are there any file requirements to load them up to youtube? I think I have them encoded as mpeg files. I'll have to check.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I've transferred the 96 & 97 year end reviews from VHS. Obviously they're in standard def. Are there any file requirements to load them up to youtube? I think I have them encoded as mpeg files. I'll have to check.

My videos are on DVD so they are standard def.  I'm using Handbrake to rip them to mp4 files which YouTube seems to have no problem with.  I'm glad I recorded these on DVD instead of VHS because the picture quality is much better.

I just found the 1999 MLS Year in Review DVD in my collection as well.  I'll have to check if it's copy-protected, but if I can upload it, I doubt MLS would really care about it at this point.  Then, we can all have fun reliving the worst season in Metro history.

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

I just ripped them using an old Hauppauge 150 encoder card from the command line in linux. The quality is decent but you can tell the source was a vhs tape.

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

I just ripped them using an old Hauppauge 150 encoder card. The quality is decent but you can tell the source was a vhs tape.

It's kind of funny that I had spent hundreds of dollars to be able to record this stuff in standard def on DVD back then.  Ten years later, I can record TV in high def with equipment I bought off Amazon for $35.  That's the march of technology, kids!  :)

hackmeister

hackmeister

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts
The old Hauppauge cards went for around $75? Not a huge cost but yeah things have become cheaper and the quality has improved.

Father Ted

Father Ted

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Youri was great for us back then.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

No bull logos....refreshing.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
I have about 50 vhs tapes of US/Metro games from 99-2003 or so. Need to rip them to YouTube as well.

Vintage Earnie Stewart action, ya offside mug you.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Michael Bradley hair FTW

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

There was like 30 people there. Was it really that bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users