643 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Are you saying that Montreal had better talent on the field than us?    I was very tolerant of his tinkering all season, trying to find the right players and formations, but that tolerance was premised on the team being ready to go when the playoffs came around.  These last two games were hugely important, for a bunch of reasons, and he couldn't get the team to show up.   I understand we had 3rd-string Barlow vs DC, and a very rusty BW no_P vs Montreal, but we could have and should have done better.   

Do not forget losing to Colorado (without a number of starters) at home.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,235 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That one sucked, losing at home always sucks, but it wasn't at the point in the season when we were supposed to be clicking on all gears.     I was more forgiving in the "lets experiment a bit now and just focus on getting it right for the playoffs" phase.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Also, I know that we beat Cincy at home, but after that match I knew we were totally fucked.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,445 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

weirdest thing about this season is that the team literally mailed it in to teams it knew it was better than. but then, they'd step it up for the most part against the better teams. 

just look at the teams where the inexplicable results came from:

Meh [or worse] results in all comps vs teams below us in the Shield standings:

https://www.mlssocce...pporters-shield

VAN-D 

ORL-L 

SKC-D 

CBus-D, L

HOU-L

MTL-L L

CHI-L

COL-L

NE-L L D

FCD-D

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I don't get the sentiment about Armas and seeing what he could do with reinforcements. How is the 2019 team so different than 2018?

GK: Robles, was also our starter in 2018

D: Murillo (starter in 2018), Duncan (was here in 2018 and was good under Marsch before injury), Parker (starter 2018), Long (starter 2018), Lawrence (starter 2018), Lade (backup 2018), Tarek (new signing)

D/CM: Casseres (new signing but with us in 2018), Davis (starter 2018), Rza (starter 2018)

M: Muyl (starter 2018), Etienne (backup 2018), Kaku (starter 2018), Royer (starter 2018), Sims (new loanee)

F: BWP (starter 2018 but injury hit 2019), White (used a little post-Marsch in 2018), Barlow (new signing).

I mean, besides a few signings, this is almost the same exact team as 2018, minus Adams and BWP and add in Casseres and White/Barlow and Sims. This team went from Supporters Shield, most points in MLS history, and playing beautiful soccer to this season, getting 6th in the Eastern Conference, 6 points from not even making it, 23 points less than 2018, and bad performances against Orlando City twice, Chicago Fire, New England pre-Arena, FC Cincinnati, Vancouver at home, losing 4-0 away to Houston, and then defeats to Colorado and Montreal.

The team could have done better with the offseason last year but it wasn't like we were bad in 2018, we were good but needed more to well the playoffs. We still should have been better in the regular season and Armas has had a season and a half to figure that out.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,235 posts

I don't get the sentiment about Armas and seeing what he could do with reinforcements. How is the 2019 team so different than 2018?

GK: Robles, was also our starter in 2018

D: Murillo (starter in 2018), Duncan (was here in 2018 and was good under Marsch before injury), Parker (starter 2018), Long (starter 2018), Lawrence (starter 2018), Lade (backup 2018), Tarek (new signing)

D/CM: Casseres (new signing but with us in 2018), Davis (starter 2018), Rza (starter 2018)

M: Muyl (starter 2018), Etienne (backup 2018), Kaku (starter 2018), Royer (starter 2018), Sims (new loanee)

F: BWP (starter 2018 but injury hit 2019), White (used a little post-Marsch in 2018), Barlow (new signing).

I mean, besides a few signings, this is almost the same exact team as 2018, minus Adams and BWP and add in Casseres and White/Barlow and Sims. This team went from Supporters Shield, most points in MLS history, and playing beautiful soccer to this season, getting 6th in the Eastern Conference, 6 points from not even making it, 23 points less than 2018, and bad performances against Orlando City twice, Chicago Fire, New England pre-Arena, FC Cincinnati, Vancouver at home, losing 4-0 away to Houston, and then defeats to Colorado and Montreal.

The team could have done better with the offseason last year but it wasn't like we were bad in 2018, we were good but needed more to well the playoffs. We still should have been better in the regular season and Armas has had a season and a half to figure that out.

Really... all those words when it all comes down to is no Adams and no BWP  - HUGE losses - and no replacements.    That said, we shit the bed against teams we shold have beaten, way too often.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

How is the 2019 team so different than 2018?.

Tyler Adams?  Healthy and productive BWP?

That said, I think Armas has done a garbage job and needs to go.  We've come out flat and just played like idiots in too many games this season.

Edit: See post above.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Really... all those words when it all comes down to is no Adams and no BWP  - HUGE losses - and no replacements.    That said, we shit the bed against teams we shold have beaten, way too often.

You make it sound like Tyler Adams was that hard to replace. The guy is Bundesliga level but Casseres and Rza should ideally be good enough in MLS to replace him. Neither are as good, but I don't think the level of our midfield should have gone down that much. With BWP, I agree, massive loss. Guy scored 20 goals last season, White scored 9 goals and Barlow got 3... neither are replacements for that level of production and that is why the blame isn't 100% on Armas but that doesn't mean he is exonerated.

Both Red Bull Global and Armas are to blame for what has been a pretty bad season.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,445 posts

every part of the org is to blame for what happened this season. top to bottom. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,064 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

How is the 2019 team so different than 2018?.

A year older, not a year better or wiser.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

You make it sound like Tyler Adams was that hard to replace. The guy is Bundesliga level but Casseres and Rza should ideally be good enough in MLS to replace him. Neither are as good, but I don't think the level of our midfield should have gone down that much. With BWP, I agree, massive loss. Guy scored 20 goals last season, White scored 9 goals and Barlow got 3... neither are replacements for that level of production and that is why the blame isn't 100% on Armas but that doesn't mean he is exonerated.

Both Red Bull Global and Armas are to blame for what has been a pretty bad season.

I've tried to say the same thing about Tyler. Gotta wonder how this team won so much before Tyler was even a factor with the team.  Some people tried to paint that as Dax as well and that was never the case.  The coach is a massive downgrade.  Maybe not because Armas is awful, but because he's nowhere near Marsch.  Honestly don't think we'll ever have a coach as good as Marsch.

The regression of so many players is the biggest piece of evidence you have.  You can spend money, but if the coach can't get guys playing their best, then that doesn't matter one bit. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,235 posts

Is BWP a Bundesliga level player?  No, not even close.  If we were to sign a young, highly regarded starter from a top Bundesliga team it would be seen as a massive upgrade.   Losing one has to be seen as a massive downgrade.   They clearly thought that Rza would adapt to that role better than he has, and that Casseres would have developed faster than he has.   

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Tyler Adams (when not injured) is a STARTER on a UEFA Champions League team - that's a pretty big hole to fill for an MLS team.  RZA is a totally different player than Adams, he doesn't protect the backline like Adams did, RZA.  As for CCJ, he's great and probably the best we could have hoped for as an Adams replacement.  But, he didn't get enough minutes, especially early on and this is his first professional season at the MLS. Oh, and also, he's just not as good as Tyler was.

So I give Armas a pass on not winning the Shield again, he just doesn't have the team to do that.  He doesn't get a pass for playing passive soccer and for having the team come out listless so often.  We look so much better when we press, and he's gone away from that often this year.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Adams was one of the best players in the whole league. Saying that Rzat and CCJ should be good enough to replace him because they are MLS caliber players is like saying Real Madrid shouldn't have gotten that much worse when Ronaldo left because Karim Benzema and Gareth Bale are La Liga quality forwards.  Adams quality made every part of the game easier for every player on the field.  It made defending easier and attacking easier.  In some ways a real top quality central midfielder like Adams is far more important and the loss of such a player far more disruptive than a great goalscorer because it directly impacts how the team plays in ever part of the field. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,445 posts

the org had 2 windows to plan ahead for Tyler's departure. half-assed/stopgap measures with ppl defending the sporting side's actions with largely crap signings since March of 2018. Sims is one of the few who stepped onto the field and made a contribution almost straightaway, like Royer did in '16. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users