milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:25 PM

I think this is good news.

Obviously Frank and DLC feel as though he is not worth what he is asking and that we have enough tallent to win games without him. Or he has the baggage that was mentioned earlier and they feel he is just not worth the headache.

The worst case would be if the FO did not want the guy, but felt like they HAD to have him.

So for me, I am happy to see the FO pass on him if that really is the case.

-G-

You're nuts. Frank really wanted John, maybe we can't give John what he wants but that doesn't mean not giving it to him and not having him is any way, shape, or form a "good" thing. Without a guy like John we will have trouble scoring. Remember the guy that put us through against NE? His name was Blanco, and he is gone. We need a scorer and John was a guy that could have potentially dominated this league. Like Liam says, I hope this is a tactic and we manage to land him.

#17 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Obviously Frank and DLC feel as though he is not worth what he is asking

Well, salary isn't the problem, as reported. John wants security.

The problem is John hasn't done much in his last few stops to justify anyone providing security to him. And I have to think Collins knows that.

#18 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • Supports:Huddalis Aviation, B&CA

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Well, salary isn't the problem, as reported. John wants security.

The problem is John hasn't done much in his last few stops to justify anyone providing security to him. And I have to think Collins knows that.

I would have offered him the same as Blanco, 2 year contract with a 3rd year Club Option. Unless that's what they did and he didn't want it .

#19 FireChicago10

FireChicago10

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

I would have offered him the same as Blanco, 2 year contract with a 3rd year Club Option. Unless that's what they did and he didn't want it .

sure but at what price?

#20 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

sure but at what price?

400k a year? Max non DP, we have the salary space to do it.

#21 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.

sure but at what price?

first year, trial price
second year--based on performance, increase
third (option) year based on performance and negotitiation.

At least that way he wouldn't have any chance of resting on is balls if he wanted a firm contract (with security) and a payrise based on performace. I mean, I don't get into sports management, so it's a bit of a novice posit, admittedly, but that's how I would see it.

#22 Allen23

Allen23

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Supports:USA, Fire

You're nuts. Frank really wanted John, maybe we can't give John what he wants but that doesn't mean not giving it to him and not having him is any way, shape, or form a "good" thing. Without a guy like John we will have trouble scoring. Remember the guy that put us through against NE? His name was Blanco, and he is gone. We need a scorer and John was a guy that could have potentially dominated this league. Like Liam says, I hope this is a tactic and we manage to land him.

Don't get me wrong. I like what I have seen from John and would love to see him up top with BMB. What I meant by a good thing is to see the FO making smart decision about the team. What if the FO had mwalked away from Wanchope or Frankowski beacuse someone decided that they just weren't worth it. Especially if what yo say is true and that Frank really wanted him, it says to me that the deal was just not right for the team.

I also agree that I hope it is a tactic and we sign him, but I like the FO tactic of playing hardball too.

-G-

#23 Chow

Chow

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

We have freed up ~$893k worth of cap space since last season including Baky's contract. This doesn't count the options picked up on CJ and BMB and the Pappa Contract. I can imagine Pappa got a heft raise though.

I posted this in another thread but it doesn't seem like money is the issue here which leads me to believe he was offered max non DP.

#24 Es Brennt

Es Brennt

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

What if the FO had walked away from Wanchope or Frankowski beacuse someone decided that they just weren't worth it.

In the case of Frankowski I would say they were being complete morons.
www.theredcardna.org

#25 BallsDeepFC

BallsDeepFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Supports:FIRE-BDFC 2004-9-SOCO WARRIORS 2009

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

FIRE facebook and EN FUEGO says this is from TODAY @ 12:40pm

Posted Image

http://chicagofireso...om-houston.html

#26 milicz

milicz

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

Sam says discussions are still ongoing.
Posted Image

Clearly the En Fuego pics from practice are meant as a response to the Goff piece.

#27 Huck1eberry

Huck1eberry

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:The Wife. The Fire. Education. Comics. Reading.
  • Supports:Fire Fire Fire

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

I absolutely love how the three pictures all clearly show John.

#28 Lijien

Lijien

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Supports:Fire , Roma

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

I read that the MLS often does 1yr contracts with the next 3 yrs being club options at the end of e very year so essentially 4 - 1yr contracts.. I don't blame John if he doesn't want that and is getting an offer somewhere else for 2 solid years..

I agree with the above poster about a 2yrs deal with a club option 3yrd year.. worst case we have to eat 1yr of contract. if he acts up..
[image="http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3053/mp16we7.jpg"]http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3053/mp16we7.jpg[/image]

#29 jl_murtaugh

jl_murtaugh

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

I don't blame John if he doesn't want that and is getting an offer somewhere else for 2 solid years

Honestly: Where? Who would? Qatar?

I really doubt there is any other "solid offer" because if there was he'd be a vapor trail. He's training and negotiating through the press, and his agent "leaked" the possibility of going back to Europe to Goff. That's all.

#30 Jay-Z

Jay-Z

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Supports:Sector Latino, Chicago Fire

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

I absolutely love how the three pictures all clearly show John.

Wow. The FO goes from incapable of maintaining a social media presence to using it to quietly refute bad information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users