229 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

format guarantees that Mexico and the US won't meet until the final, which is probably the purpose of it.

Probably? Definitely!

CR has been underwhelming, Honduras moreso.

CR thumped US in the Hex. HON squashed ES last night.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Probably? Definitely!

CR thumped US in the Hex. HON squashed ES last night.

Costa Rica just started Alvaro Saborio v. Haiti. They're a LOT worse than they were in the Hex.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts

Costa Rica ... a LOT worse than they were in the Hex.

US are not much better than they were in the Hex.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Antonee Robinson. Probably with VIllafana as the backup.

Robinson is our best USMNT prospect at left back by far. 

Robinson is not good, period. Still in the mix due to lack of options.

I watched Gloster at all of the U-20 WC games. Good player. He has one glaring weakness....and its that he doesnt have the pace to keep up with a speedy winger. And thats at the U-20 level. He was getting absolutely tourched for pace. It got so bad, that he was scared to try and go for 50/50 ball and was standing 6-yards off the French winger at all times.

Hopefully, he progresses and becomes a starter in the future.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,341 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

not sure how you teach speed though.  you either have it or you don't.  i'd rather roll the dice and hope that robinson develops, rather than put my eggs in the basket of the slow gloster option

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts

not sure how you teach speed though. 

Cue the Internet!
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=fBHgQbi3zG4

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

US are not much better than they were in the Hex.

Sure, but Costa Rica just lost to Haiti. The US hasn't been lousy enough to do that since 1973.

CRC barely snuck past Bermuda. They're in a really dire state right now.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,395 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

it's an older team. Bryan Ruiz is in his mid 30s as is Saborio. Joel Campbell doesn't look the same. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • Supports:Metro

not sure how you teach speed though.  you either have it or you don't.  i'd rather roll the dice and hope that robinson develops, rather than put my eggs in the basket of the slow gloster option

Yeah you cant teach speed. If he was getting eaten alive at the U20 level hell probably get roasted in the bigger leagues. Those guys are typically the complete package.

However...he might be okay in MLS...
;)

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,094 posts

Yeah you cant teach speed. If he was getting eaten alive at the U20 level hell probably get roasted in the bigger leagues. Those guys are typically the complete package.

However...he might be okay in MLS...
;)

stength and condition and speed coaches would differ. 

Also, didn;t Cruyff say I can think faster than you can run I can still beat you?

Granted Kemar raw speed is great but his 'speed' has improved in the last year due to training, reading the game, timing, angles etx.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

stength and condition and speed coaches would differ.

If he was getting burned consistently at the U20 level I seriously doubt he can markedly improve here.

ALTHOUGH some guys are late bloomers. All the soccer people thought Bradley would never have the engine to play CM. Turns out that became one of his strengths.

Yes, if you are smart and skilled it makes up for athleticism. But in the big leagues if you dont have all those attributes it can really hurt you.

Weasel see.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

That format guarantees that Mexico and the US won't meet until the final, which is probably the purpose of it.

Look at the past few Gold Cups and the format is always like this to make sure that there's the greatest chance possible of a US-Mexico final.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,395 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

wrt Costa Rica, there's 9 guys on their squad who are 30 or older. that doesn't sound good. Haiti has only 2 players over 30. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,779 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Will Trapp at International level is like watching the reincarnation of Passback Pete Vagenas.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
Nice by Jozy. Again against Panama.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users