123 replies to this topic

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
Shame this is turning into a bash Sean Davis thread. At the end of the day he accepted the responsibility of being Captain.

If this season goes down the tubes and hes not cutting it, he gets more of the blame(especially if hes blocking a RZA/CCJ from playing). Comes with the territory.

This will be an interesting experiment. Does Davis blossom or wilt under the pressure?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,252 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Shame this is turning into a bash Sean Davis thread.

You are right.
Come on, Sean! Do It!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

You are right.
Come on, Sean! Do It!

Right. Season just started. Respect the captain.

Lets do it Sean!

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,387 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I think we're overthinking this one... there was no obvious choice for captain this year, they went with one of the more senior guys who by all accounts is at least a solid leader off the field. I'm not convinced this decision has any real implications for Davis's expectations on the field. He'll have the armband when he plays, Long/Parker/Royer/Meara will take it when he doesn't, and we won't notice a difference one way or the other.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think we're overthinking this one... there was no obvious choice for captain this year, they went with one of the more senior guys who by all accounts is at least a solid leader off the field. I'm not convinced this decision has any real implications for Davis's expectations on the field. He'll have the armband when he plays, Long/Parker/Royer/Meara will take it when he doesn't, and we won't notice a difference one way or the other.

Well if Davis wears the armband and the midfield gets completely overrun again this season I think its going to be a huge problem.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,031 posts

For all what's it worth:

https://www.american...-york-red-bulls

image-asset.png?format=1000w

cass.png?format=1000w

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,387 posts

Well if Davis wears the armband and the midfield gets completely overrun again this season I think its going to be a huge problem.

What magic powers does this armband have? Davis will most likely be the same player with or without it, and I don't buy that Armas will shoehorn him into every starting lineup cause of this decision.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

What magic powers does this armband have? Davis will most likely be the same player with or without it, and I don't buy that Armas will shoehorn him into every starting lineup cause of this decision.

I agree that Davis will be the same player. Thats what Im worried about.

And so then were in a situation where Armas is forced to sit his captain? Thats a terrible position to be in.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,387 posts

I agree that Davis will be the same player. Thats what Im worried about.

And so then were in a situation where Armas is forced to sit his captain? Thats a terrible position to be in.

Is it though? Do we really think the teams morale is gonna tank cause the first captain was subbed off or was rotated out for a few games?

Still think we might be overthinking this.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Is it though? Do we really think the teams morale is gonna tank cause the first captain was subbed off or was rotated out for a few games?

Still think we might be overthinking this.

I think naming someone the captain who will possibly not be a starter for you by the end of the season is a risky decision.

How Davis plays this year will have a huge impact on our success. Id be fine with Davis on the field under a different coach but as is he is in one of the positions I personally would have upgraded in the offseason.

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle
I really think this is getting overblown. Davis was a fine choice, based on our crop of options. Nobody really stuck out. Theres a reason the captains armband gets passed on, once the captain is subbed off. Its really just the responsibility of communicating with the refs. This isnt baseball, where the captaincy is a sacred honor passed on to only club legends.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

I really think this is getting overblown. Davis was a fine choice, based on our crop of options. Nobody really stuck out. Theres a reason the captains armband gets passed on, once the captain is subbed off. Its really just the responsibility of communicating with the refs. This isnt baseball, where the captaincy is a sacred honor passed on to only club legends.

This is not a situation where the armband gets passed on because Davis is fatigued, injured, or pulled after 75 minutes. This is situation where Davis can be benched because he is ineffective. How would that look?

Since Armas is going to want to avoid that scene, Davis is probably going to play and block better options (RZA, CCJ, valot).

Captain should always be someone that can be counted on to play the majority of the time because he/she is supposed to lead the team both vocally and performance and off the field.

We either should have went to Royer, Kaku, Parker, captain by committee or just not have one at all.

Unless it was an aging star, Ive never seen a captain named that probably should start season on bench.

With that said, I got higher expectations for him. Got to take his game to another level this year. No goals and 2 assist wont cut it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This is not a situation where the armband gets passed on because Davis is fatigued, injured, or pulled after 75 minutes. This is situation where Davis can be benched because he is ineffective. How would that look?

Since Armas is going to want to avoid that scene, Davis is probably going to play and block better options (RZA, CCJ, valot).

Captain should always be someone that can be counted on to play the majority of the time because he/she is supposed to lead the team both vocally and performance and off the field.

We either should have went to Royer, Kaku, Parker, captain by committee or just not have one at all.

Unless it was an aging star, Ive never seen a captain named that probably should start season on bench.

With that said, I got higher expectations for him. Got to take his game to another level this year. No goals and 2 assist wont cut it.

There is a deft way for a coach to handle benching a Captain. You say something like, Seans an important part of our team and still our Captain. Hes struggling a little on the pitch right now, so were going to give him a few games off and get back to his normal self. Hes still an important leader for our squad and we fully expect him to see playing time soon.

Armas probably isnt capable of that though.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Generally agree that captain should be a "top 5 ish" starter on a team, but I dont think Davis is someone that should be evaluated mainly on goals and assists.  The things he does really well are playing intermediate range transition passes, being tactically responsible, and being tidy with the ball.  Last year was his worst season visually where he had a couple games where he was very untidy with the ball.  But I think his drop off last year was overstated because of how bad the midfield was defensively from a tactical stadpoint.  He was left out to dry a lot by Rza and Casseres not following runners, etc.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Generally agree that captain should be a "top 5 ish" starter on a team, but I dont think Davis is someone that should be evaluated mainly on goals and assists.  The things he does really well are playing intermediate range transition passes, being tactically responsible, and being tidy with the ball.  Last year was his worst season visually where he had a couple games where he was very untidy with the ball.  But I think his drop off last year was overstated because of how bad the midfield was defensively from a tactical stadpoint.  He was left out to dry a lot by Rza and Casseres not following runners, etc.

What hes good at is not going to work under Armas. See last year.

But hey, whatever. Moving right along time to get drunk and support him anyway!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users