310 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

He can play as a starter in a few different spots and you'll say to yourself "we've got a good chance to win here". And if he's not starting he's a great depth player. Very Lade esque.

Still young and could improve and he's a hometown boy.

Yeah he's no Henry but as long as his salary doesn't go through the roof we should all be thankful he's here.

The criticism of Muyl is more based on Marsch's use of him, over guys like Etienne or Veron, and not Muyl himself.  In 2017 Muyl has logged 1554 minutes to Etienne's 487 and Veron's 397.  That gap just seems way too large given Muyl's poor production this season.  Etienne is also "young and could improve and he's a hometown boy" and Veron, in over 1000 less minutes, has 2 goals and 3 assists to Muyl's 3 and 3.

I know Muyl does other things better than those two, but as an attacking player I wish he did more, you know, attacking.

If he was playing Lade-esque minutes I don't think you'd get anyone complaining. Problem is more that he's playing Henry-esque minutes.

Yep

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Muyl is the textbook definition of a cheap useful player that you need to fill a roster in this league with the cap. Not a world beater but of some use.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

He can play as a starter in a few different spots and you'll say to yourself "we've got a good chance to win here". And if he's not starting he's a great depth player. Very Lade esque.

Still young and could improve and he's a hometown boy.

Yeah he's no Henry but as long as his salary doesn't go through the roof we should all be thankful he's here.

still young, still developing as I think we have seen a few better things out of him even in the last 2-3 months when the team is playing better.  Very thankful for him as he has helped the team a huge amount.  He also is aware that he needs to get better and better on the O side.

Does he start when Royer, Davis, Keita are healthy? No.  Should Veron start over him? Maybe.  I would like to see more time split between these 2.  Derrick should get more time as well though not sure why Marsch is so hesitant to use him.  Tough balancing development by playing vs you have to earn it.   

He is more consistent then Conor.  Again just cause his #s aren't lighting it up doesn't mean he does not allow BWP and Sacha to do what they do. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If he was playing Lade-esque minutes I don't think you'd get anyone complaining. Problem is more that he's playing Henry-esque minutes.

When Royer is healthy Muyl doesn't start.  Period.

But if it's a choice between Muyl, Veron and Etienne to start a game I pick Muyl 11 times out of 10 because the other 2 guys have rarely if ever put in a full 90 minute performance where I was convinced they should get another start.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

But if it's a choice between Muyl, Veron and Etienne to start a game I pick Muyl 11 times out of 10 because the other 2 guys have rarely if ever put in a full 90 minute performance where I was convinced they should get another start.

Probably because they rarely play a full 90 minutes...........just saying.

LONG LIVE METRO

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Etienne and Veron never get starts with the first team.  They get starts when Marsch swaps the whole Starting XI (except for Robles & Felipe).  It's not fair to judge their 90min performances with Bezecourt & Duka starting (see Portland match) and Muyl's many starts with Sacha & BWP (both MVP finalists in 2016); the comparisons are apples and oranges.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Etienne and Veron never get starts with the first team.  They get starts when Marsch swaps the whole Starting XI (except for Robles & Felipe).  It's not fair to judge their 90min performances with Bezecourt & Duka starting (see Portland match) and Muyl's many starts with Sacha & BWP (both MVP finalists in 2016); the comparisons are apples and oranges.

I haven't seen anything from any of those players you mentioned to make me think they should start over Muyl. Talent wins out regardless of the lack of talent around it. Even if you're playing with the B team you need to do enough to convince the staff. See Adams. Tyler. Long. Aaron.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I haven't seen anything from any of those players you mentioned to make me think they should start over Muyl. Talent wins out regardless of the lack of talent around it. Even if you're playing with the B team you need to do enough to convince the staff. See Adams. Tyler. Long. Aaron.

And you've seen what out of Muyl?  His numbers, except for his minutes which he has over 1000 more, are pretty much on par with Veron's.  Plus Veron's goals have arguably meant more to the team - all three of Muyl's goals have come in games that Red Bull have won by two or more, while Veron's goals were the late winner against NE and the PK to secure the tie against NYCFC.

I know he does other things, but at some point you need your attacking players to add to the attack.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

And you've seen what out of Muyl?  His numbers, except for his minutes which he has over 1000 more, are pretty much on par with Veron's.  Plus Veron's goals have arguably meant more to the team - all three of Muyl's goals have come in games that Red Bull have won by two or more, while Veron's goals were the late winner against NE and the PK to secure the tie against NYCFC.

I know he does other things, but at some point you need your attacking players to add to the attack.

He adds to the team in ways Veron doesn't. They are 2 different players with different qualities. For me, Muyl's qualities suit this team better as a starter when there are injuries or as a utility player waiting in the wings when we're at full strength. Veron is hopeful lightning in a bottle when we desperately need a goal. Sometimes lightning strikes. Sometimes it doesn't.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Also, with Muyl getting time at wingback, he has more usefulness currently than Etienne. I like Haitian Messi, but still needs a little seasoning. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

He adds to the team in ways Veron doesn't. They are 2 different players with different qualities. For me, Muyl's qualities suit this team better as a starter when there are injuries or as a utility player waiting in the wings when we're at full strength. Veron is hopeful lightning in a bottle when we desperately need a goal. Sometimes lightning strikes. Sometimes it doesn't.

The real truth is we do not know what Veron or Etienne are as a starting wingers for this team because they've never been given the run of games there that Muyl has.  I haven't seen enough out of Muyl in that role to say he's deserves to four times the minutes of an Etienne or Veron.  If you have, fair enough.

Also, with Muyl getting time at wingback, he has more usefulness currently than Etienne. I like Haitian Messi, but still needs a little seasoning. 

I love Muyl at wingback.  Also, I'm not saying Etienne needs to play 1000 more minutes than Muyl or even that he should play a single minute more than Muyl.  I just think their minutes played should be closer to one another.  Let's see what Etienne does with some more time on the pitch with Sacha and BWP.

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Bulls soccer, the joke is on us.

One thing that could be said about the Muyl, he is a survivor.  Through hard work, and hard work, and hard work,  Muyl has found a spot on the team.  I was hoping that he would have turned out better than Jack Harrison, but I think that boat has sailed now.  If Veron was making Muyl money, Veron would have still been on this team.  The saga continues.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
Holy gravedig Batman.

But yeah, Muyl actually had a hell of a preseason. Lets see if he can make it happen this year.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
He's getting so much playing time... He must do great in training but that's practice.. In the actual matches he's meh, at best..

He's only good at just running around..

Imo Adams>Muyl already...

If Muyl and Sean Davis don't start scoring and putting up assists ala Grella and Sam few years back it's time to play replacements and sit them on the bench. This is the year they need to start producing
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

Muyl is the textbook definition of a cheap useful player that you need to fill a roster in this league with the cap. Not a world beater but of some use.

and starting him and starting players like that won't win you any trophies...

New York needs more players like Royer and BWP and less like Muyl.. Maybe to be backups but not log the minutes he does..

I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users