35 replies to this topic

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

This talk about Henry started in the original thread because someone suggested that we see have a lot of players who are all about the club because there are no superstars on the team now.

I don't buy that in general, although you can find examples of superstars in this league who got by on reputation rather than effort, but especially not for Henry.

Did his act wear thin for some fans, and maybe for some of his teammates?  Evidently.

I think most, especially taking a wide angle view of it, would concede that he earned it before he got here and backed it up on the field while he was here.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This talk about Henry started in the original thread because someone suggested that we see have a lot of players who are all about the club because there are no superstars on the team now.

I don't buy that in general, although you can find examples of superstars in this league who got by on reputation rather than effort, but especially not for Henry.

Don't know if you're referring to my post, but I wasn't suggesting this squad is more about the club or cares more than the Henry teams. I just think the players are tighter with each other these last two years.

Steve Holt

Steve Holt

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Fuck NYCFC.
    Fuck Fascism.
  • Supports:The Metro, The Bengals, Hating DC

Henry brought a level of dedication to the game and intensity of practice that helped to take the team to the next level. 

I don't think it is any coincidence that Henry is quoted as saying, "It's not genius, it's practice."

If you have spent years acquiring and developing skills that have made you a world class player, you're definitely going to impart that mentality on your teammates. Henry, just as he was a player and a captain, was also a teacher. He pushed those around him to go beyond what they perceived to be their limits. 

Fuck DC.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Biggest thing I believe mentioned here is that he helped bring a winning culture.  That is no easy task.  Sometimes that losing funk can take decades to break out of and he turned it around.  He also brought the first legitimate trophy as well.  This team simply doesn't get that trophy without him.

Also one of the main reasons I became a season ticket holder.  Was skeptical at first, but it's clear that the guy wanted to achieve the highest level no matter where he was playing.

tat106

tat106

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Supports:MetroReds, USMNT

No, I feel the same way. Look the guy's talents were undeniable, but I never warmed to him. I still can't get past his refusal to play on turf, even in important games. I also remember hearing (though I could be wrong) that he got special treatment on the road (either flew 1st class or got his own hotel rooms). I think there was a reason the team went on the 2013 Shield run after Petke put Henry in his place.

Put who in who's place? Henry's post-tussle benching was a face-save for Petke, Henry and Red Bull New York. Petke, God bless him, had been getting team results based on passion and working hard. Something Henry already had and kept doing while with the franchise. Henry and other players needed more than that. Namely sound tactics and a true playing style that Petke didn't have at that point.

They fought publicly, cooled off, talked it out, in private, like grown men, hashed things out and got on with the business of coaching and playing as a team. Like folk that care about winning do.

"It's not genius, it's practice." - Thierry Henry

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Love him or hate him, I never saw Henry give less than 100% when he was on the field. He played out his contract without griping, helped instill a tireless work ethic and winning mentality, and was part of the team that brought home the first piece of silverware.  He had to have been frustrated not having world class players around him, seeing age start to take its toll, and knowing that he was more advanced tactically than his managers here.  Net-net, I thought he was great for the Red Bulls, a model (older) DP.  That being said, I think the team has performed better without him. With Henry on the field players likely felt forced to play through him. I thought the 2015 Red Bulls were a more complete team than any Henry played on during his time here, including the 2013 team. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Did anyone see that thing with TH14 playing in a charity game at RBA?

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
Is there some reason we can't have a night at RBA in his honor where they put a statue of him outside the main gate and create a team HOF to put him, JPA, Clint, Gio and Petkie in with nice plaques somewhere in the stadium?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
I love TH14 and he deserves a night but a statue is pushing it probably.

InkedAG

InkedAG

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, Arsenal

As someone who is also an Arsenal supporter, I'm glad I got to see his artistry up close and personal for his 4 1/2 seasons.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Anybody go to charity match yesterday?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It certainly wasn't very publicized. 

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It certainly wasn't very publicized. 

Which, considering the roster, makes no sense.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

TH on France 2016

http://www.bbc.com/s...otball/36754649

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

http://www.mlssoccer...-and-mls-legend

the story from Lade and Henry baking the pies are my favorites!

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users