6 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Another reason to hate the ownership situation, regardless of the personnel they bring in. "NY wants him but RB Global says no bc he's bad for intl brand relations."

To be clear, I have less than zero basis for thinking they would block a hypothetical Ozil move over his Uyghur comments. Maybe RB would actually be the one organization with a pair of balls and the clout (through F1 and champions league teams) to push the needle by calling out the ethno/genocide that is occurring.  

To go further, the complaint over RB is partially its inorganic plastic clubs - sprinkle on a tough (economically) social justice stance and you give your organization an authenticity that the largest clubs in the world can't match.  

I'm confident they do not have the balls, but who knows?     

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

There's no way. Too old and would take time from Kaku/Clark. Also, I wonder what Red Bulls interests are in China. 

Shitty source - but Ozil spoke out about Uyghur camps -  

https://www.rt.com/s...nal-squad-snub/

I detest companies/governments/athletes cowtowing to Chinese pressure and enabling a genocide for money. Unfortunately, I suspect even if Ozil was a perfect fit, his comments would scare RB Global.  Maybe I'm wrong? 

There was a recent NYT article about Ozil/China. Doesn't seem like anyone's interested in him at the moment, so a bit harsh to single out RB or MLS as scared. Could also be for playing or salary reasons, of course (but it's probably the China PR concern weighing heavily on teams' minds).

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

I detest companies/governments/athletes cowtowing to Chinese pressure and enabling a genocide for money. Unfortunately, I suspect even if Ozil was a perfect fit, his comments would scare RB Global.  Maybe I'm wrong? 

There was a recent NYT article about Ozil/China. Doesn't seem like anyone's interested in him at the moment, so a bit harsh to single out RB or MLS as scared. Could also be for playing or salary reasons, of course (but it's probably the China PR concern weighing heavily on teams' minds).

I didn't mean to single out RB at all - it just sucks that organizations (NBA/Lebron/Arsenal...) don't have the balls to just say "the treatment of Uyghers is not right". If I had a profitable business deal with someone and I knew they went home each night and beat the shit out of their wife, I would hope I'd have the balls, at a minimum, to simply tell them that its wrong to beat your wife. 

I guess thread split? Sorry. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

It's hard to pinpoint one thing with Ozil - he said he'd reject a move, his salary is ridiculous given his output, and a lot of clubs want China's money more than they give a shit about human rights.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Hopefully this thread doesn't affect metrofanatic distribution in China. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

It is absolutely for playing / salary reasons. He was doing nothing on the pitch before he was benched (and now not rostered), and he makes a ton and refused to take a COVID paycut. His career is over. Politics aside, no MLS side is going to sign an expensive guy who wont run or play defense.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

It is absolutely for playing / salary reasons. He was doing nothing on the pitch before he was benched (and now not rostered), and he makes a ton and refused to take a COVID paycut. His career is over. Politics aside, no MLS side is going to sign an expensive guy who wont run or play defense.

LA signed Chicharito, Orlando signed Kaka. Sanchez easily moved on loan to Inter in similar playing/salary circumstances but no China concerns.

Teams do make those moves even if they don't necessarily work out well. Discounting the China controversy as having no role whatsoever is naive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users