38 replies to this topic

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Not sure whether the silence is good or bad. Hes not even really being linked to a move anywhere.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Not sure whether the silence is good or bad. Hes not even really being linked to a move anywhere.

I would think for us silence is good.  means transfer is either dead or we are making moves.  if he was going to Boca or Inter it would be very loud and that is the most likely path to this failing.  MLS contracts take a while to process so hopefully they can wrap it up before he goes to national team camp in a couple days, otherwise this can drag into february.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
Completely agree with that. Silence would typically be a good thing because stuff outside of MLS usually leaks out.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

It means nothing except that we have zero media presence here and it fucking sucks. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we have zero media presence here and it sucks. 

For a corporation known for its global marketing,
RB is certainly doing an awful job in MLS.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

It means nothing except that we have zero media presence here and it fucking sucks. 

Well yes, but I meant relating to his transfer to anywhere in general.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

For a corporation known for its global marketing,
RB is certainly doing an awful job in MLS.

We can have our contentions with their marketing but this isn't really a RBNY issue. This is a media issue. They're all owned by hedge funds stripping newspapers of funding so they can be sold to bigger conglomerates at a profit later. They'll barely bother to send journalists to RBA for games, let alone for road trips and practices. Journalists build sources by being around the team. Dyer used to have weekly updates practically until he was laid off. "Marketing" doesn't solve that.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Well yes, but I meant relating to his transfer to anywhere in general.

fair

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Hello darkness my old friend.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Like thoward says, this is not a marketing issue but rather a media coverage one. It is members of the media the ones asking questions, combing outlets worldwide, or reaching out to their networks to get info about a particular team. The amount of resources and time being devoted in MLS is non existent, the only mainstream program I have seen in an hour slot in one of the Spanish channels.

If you compare that to the coverage of Liga MX both in the US and in Mexico, it really shows how far we are. Also, most leagues in the world make team members and coaches available to the media on a consistent basis. I am not sure if the lack ok availability is a MLS mandate.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Other markets have media coverage. No one gives a shit in our area. The pressbox is a ghost town, even comparing to 3-4 years ago.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Like thoward says, this is not a marketing issue but rather a media coverage one. It is members of the media the ones asking questions, combing outlets worldwide, or reaching out to their networks to get info about a particular team. The amount of resources and time being devoted in MLS is non existent, the only mainstream program I have seen in an hour slot in one of the Spanish channels.

If you compare that to the coverage of Liga MX both in the US and in Mexico, it really shows how far we are. Also, most leagues in the world make team members and coaches available to the media on a consistent basis. I am not sure if the lack ok availability is a MLS mandate.

yall talk like this shit is easy but none of you have done it. The resources are limited Red Bull have put a lock tight seal on things when it comes to leaks Dyer doesnt get things because his sources have left the club. Players are available on request and coaches available weekly in press conference its not as simple as you think it is to cultivate good sources and get info when the team is as tight lipped as they are

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

yall talk like this shit is easy but none of you have done it. The resources are limited Red Bull have put a lock tight seal on things when it comes to leaks Dyer doesnt get things because his sources have left the club. Players are available on request and coaches available weekly in press conference its not as simple as you think it is to cultivate good sources and get info when the team is as tight lipped as they are

I am not saying it is easy, just pointing out that it is the medias job, not the FOs, and unfortunately the former is not given the resources or the importance by the mainstream media outlets.

And I know that it takes time to get your sources, it is part of the profession. Someone once asked Ives (when he used to cover the team) why he did not ask question A or B during interviews, and he mentioned that teams would shut your access if you asked uncomfortable questions, and you cannot afford that because it is your way of making a living

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Other markets have media coverage. No one gives a shit in our area. The pressbox is a ghost town, even comparing to 3-4 years ago.

Other markets are not like nyc. We have a lot of sports teams in a time where old media is dying. These departments have little resources and they would rather spend that money covering the yankees, knicks and giants instead of red bull.

In 5 to 10 years from now the people covering the rbny will most likely only be youtubers and podcasters.

jp917

jp917

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Yea but that's the job of being a journalist. Imagine you were a reporter on another beat and you tell your editor: "Sorry, the organization is tight lipped." I understand that it's difficult but it's part of covering the subject. No one covers the team is because no one is demanding coverage, the team doesn't have a large enough fanbase and doesn't justify resources being put into it. But I don't buy that people aren't doing it because there are no sources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users