34 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I love his workrate but I don't think he adds enough offensively.

Should he start sitting in favor of getting Grella or Veron back in form? With Royer on the other wing.

It likely won't happen since Marsch is high on the kid. But as the games get tighter in the playoffs I would bet more on Grella/Veron finding a way to get the ball in the back of the net than Muyl.

What does everyone think?

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I much prefer Muyl to Veron.  Veron almost never looks good against quality opposition.  He is a defensive liability and makes bad decisions.  Additionally, with a little big of luck, Muyl would have 5 goals at least this season with the number of posts he has hit and a number of miraculous saves.  Muyl's bad luck in front of goal this season reminds me of BWP's first season.  Veron may have more tricks, but that is about all he has that is superior to Muyl.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Don't knock Muyl. He is quality.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Don't discount what he brings to the table defensively.

Case in point - what he did to shut down Harrison vs nycfc in game 3 against them after he killed us in the Yankee stadium loss.

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

I don't like him offensively at all but I guess he is key to our pressing and defense.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
If he can get the form he had in Georgetown, he will be a force in this league. His workrate has been top notch. His passing to Allen at GTown was part of the reason Allen was so good.

Would love seeing him, Basuljevic and Allen eventually starting for this team. They were dominate at GTown together.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I much prefer Muyl to Veron.  Veron almost never looks good against quality opposition.  He is a defensive liability and makes bad decisions.  Additionally, with a little big of luck, Muyl would have 5 goals at least this season with the number of posts he has hit and a number of miraculous saves.  Muyl's bad luck in front of goal this season reminds me of BWP's first season.  Veron may have more tricks, but that is about all he has that is superior to Muyl.  

Veron was decent defensively against DC.

Don't discount what he brings to the table defensively.

Case in point - what he did to shut down Harrison vs nycfc in game 3 against them after he killed us in the Yankee stadium loss.

Piatti got his share of chances last game against Muyl.

If he can get the form he had in Georgetown, he will be a force in this league. His workrate has been top notch. His passing to Allen at GTown was part of the reason Allen was so good.

Would love seeing him, Basuljevic and Allen eventually starting for this team. They were dominate at GTown together.

Was it his "form" in college or the fact that most of his opponents from then now work at desks and not on pitches?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
More of this? The kid makes stuff happen on both ends even if he's not showing up on the scoresheet. Don't fix what ain't broke. Fix the blown leads.

Blazen Inferno

Blazen Inferno

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

As good as a player as Royers is with his high work rate and strong physicality, he's not a better option than Grella on the wing. Grella is a more creative and threatening attacking option on his day he has an eye for a pass that Royers can't even see. When Royers attacks down the flanks very unidimestional and  predictable, he only has one dimension to his game. Grella has far more technical skill, he can pull off passes and making plays in the final 3rd of the field. Royers is very unpolished and not as good as Grella in terms of dribbling, passing, and definitely not finishing. 

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Grella has not been good for a couple months to be fair, might as well give the minutes to Grella. Grella off the bench is a great option anyway. I have no stats to prove it, but I'd be curious to see when most of his goals come. I feel like he's never as good in the second half after playing the first, so him coming in 60th minute might be just as useful.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

More of this? The kid makes stuff happen on both ends even if he's not showing up on the scoresheet. Don't fix what ain't broke. Fix the blown leads.

What I don't understand is why can't Muyl start against teams with strong wingers (i.e. Piatti) and then a more technical, more offensive player start against teams that don't and are going to park the bus (i.e. Philly).  Muyl has been an awesome surprise this year.  I just wish Marsch was a little more flexible and was able to use his other pieces and offer a different look against certain teams.

As good as a player as Royers is with his high work rate and strong physicality, he's not a better option than Grella on the wing. Grella is more creative and threatening attacking option on his day he has an eye for a pass that Royers can't even see. When Royers attacks down the flanks very unidimestional and  predictable, he only has one dimension to his game. Grella has far more technical skill, he can pull off passes and making plays in the final 3rd of the field. Royers is very unpolished and not as good as Grella in terms of dribbling, passing, and definitely not finishing. 

The problem has been Grella hasn't had "his day" in like 3 months.  Also, it seems like, based on your description of Grella's abilities, you might be confusing him with Thierry Henry.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

We all agree on Muyl's workrate, and at his age, you have to assume significant upside.    I think his defense is as overrated as Veron's is underrated, which I think is not inconsiderable.   I can't say his lack of production is all about  being unlucky - he, as yet,  doesn't have the quality in front of the goal or in his service delivery that we can expect from Veron or Royer.     

Grella has shown beautiful skill and vision.... but it's been a while.    But passing vision is largely a product of having played with this roster a lot more thAn Veron or Royer have.  We haven't seen enough of Veron or Royer to have a fair, strong opinion on either one of them.   Jesse sees a lot more of them than we do, so I will defer to his judgement for now.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

As good as a player as Royers is with his high work rate and strong physicality, he's not a better option than Grella on the wing. Grella is more creative and threatening attacking option on his day he has an eye for a pass that Royers can't even see. When Royers attacks down the flanks very unidimestional and  predictable, he only has one dimension to his game. Grella has far more technical skill, he can pull off passes and making plays in the final 3rd of the field. Royers is very unpolished and not as good as Grella in terms of dribbling, passing, and definitely not finishing. 

Royer has some skill with the ball.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think we must have been watching two different players... and I'm a huge Grelladinho fan.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

I don't think Royer should ever come out of the starting lineup.  He's the perfect blend of everything for this team.  Skill to go along with the workrate.

Muyl I can be convinced to take out in favor of someone else, but I also see the value in everything he brings. 

Plus we always sub out one of the two outside mids around the 65th minute so we are always going to have at least 3 of those guys playing significant minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users