63 replies to this topic

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

If theyre gonna continue on with this we only sign guys who fit the system narrative then yes its time to sell.

It still drives me nuts the idiocy behind that mentality. You dont pass on signing a superstar because he doesnt press as well as a USL guy.

You pump as much talent as possible into the team and get a good coach to figure out how all the pieces work together.

Maybe you want to tell that to Valverde, Coutinho, and Griezmann

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Maybe you want to tell that to Valverde, Coutinho, and Griezmann

Will do.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Don't think there's a need in the MLS to have designated rebuilding years when you can get rid of bad contracts relatively easily, don't gain much from the draft, the salary cap is steadily increasing, and a team can be completely transformed by adding 2 or 3 key pieces.

If Austria refuses to spend and/or FO can't close on good players, it'll be a down year for sure, but calling it a "rebuilding year" when there's absolutely no need for one is a complete copout.

Agreed.  But there is no urgency in the RB organization so I am predicting that Royer will be sold and a USL player promoted.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

I think they should keep Royer.

If they keep Kaku (assuming injury is not that severe and I know you can never assume) maybe they see Royer as more expendable.

That being said it wouldn't surprise me if they triple down on youth this off season.  

(I know they fritted away Tyler buck$ and J$ but I think that is the global model they will bring locally and the new academy guy + Ralf) 

(by the way holy moly on Tyler still being out - 6 months!!! )

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
If we can move royer, the team should do it. He is replaceable. Omir, etienne, muyl and valot could replace him.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

If we can move royer, the team should do it. He is replaceable. Omir, etienne, muyl and valot could replace him.

Etienne not even on team.
Muyl is nowhere near Royer. (Love him but 12th man off the bench at best)
Valot is no guarantee he's even gonna be here next year.
Omir I can bite but who's playing on the other side. Still waiting for Hamlet to "spend" like he said he's "planning" to do.

LONG LIVE METRO

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Etienne not even on team.
Muyl is nowhere near Royer. (Love him but 12th man off the bench at best)
Valot is no guarantee he's even gonna be here next year.
Omir I can bite but who's playing on the other side. Still waiting for Hamlet to "spend" like he said he's "planning" to do.

We can always promote stroud. And etienne is back... atleast for now since cincy declined to purchase his contract.

Priority... should be 1) RB, 2) CB (if Long leaves, we will need someone to push parker and tarik), 3) CM (we need someone to have more bite.. a ball winner) 4) FC (someone to push white) 5) winger (to push the kids)

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Pass me a hit of whatever you're having. Royer has 10+ goals and a handful of assists in three straight seasons, that's elite for an MLS winger. It's debatable if any of the four guys you mentioned would even start on a mediocre MLS team, let alone put up elite numbers.

Relying too much on USL quality guys is a big part of why the team is struggling right now, I'd prefer not to double down on that strategy.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,245 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

While he was the most productive he had already regressed from the prior year.  I think next year is simply a rebuilding year.  If they can get quality bucks and enable a few difference makers I think they will do it.

No need for any such thing as a "rebuilding year" in MLS.     Nothing stopping anyone from getting whatever players they need and integrating them this off season.     This isn't an NBA or NFL "need a couple good drafts" situation.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

All those players combined had fewer goals and assists than Royer last year.  I would be surprised if any of those players ever have an MLS season where they get 11 goals and 8 assists. He has scored double digit goals for three years straight.

I am constantly amazed how okay many people are with the team discarding the few proven players it has, especially considering the team's terrible track record with replacing its best players after they leave.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Dumping Royer is a bad idea. Consistent goal scorers dont grow on trees.

Unless someone comes in with an offer we cant refuse AND we have a legit replacement lined up then just no no no all day no and then again no twice over.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
There are serious grounds for concern about letting go of Royer and replacing him adequately, but past performances don't guarantee future results.

E.g. the BWP is GOAT posts which have conspicuously disappeared this year.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

We can always promote stroud. And etienne is back... atleast for now since cincy declined to purchase his contract.

Priority... should be 1) RB, 2) CB (if Long leaves, we will need someone to push parker and tarik), 3) CM (we need someone to have more bite.. a ball winner) 4) FC (someone to push white) 5) winger (to push the kids)

Replacing our most consistent player for the past couple years with a a cast of unproven players/ players who shouldn't be starting is a recipe for disaster. Are you sure you aren't Hamlet or Armas?

LONG LIVE METRO

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
Royer has at most a season or two left. I would prefer to sell and capture the $$$ to bring in players for needed positions. If the money is not more than 4 or 5m then he should stay.

The young wingers could produce a 7g and 4a season if they were given a chance.

The priority should be a RB/LB, FC, CM and another CB if Long leaves.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts

Al those players combined had fewer goals and assists than Royer last year.  I would be surprised if any of those players ever have an MLS season where they get 11 goals and 8 assists. He has scored double digit goals for three years straight.

I am constantly amazed how okay many people are with the team discarding the few proven players it has, especially considering the team's terrible track record with replacing its best players after they leave.  

How did the team do when olave, henry, dax, Sasha, Felipe, and Sam left the team?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users