MLS Playoffs
Fuimos. Bebimos. Chingamos.

#2 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

from ives:

Major League Soccer has released its new playoff format, which includes 10 teams and a minimum of three from each conference.

The top three teams in each conference automatically qualify, and the top four teams after that -- regardless of conference affiliation -- qualify as wildcards.

The four wildcards play a single-elimination playoff round to narrow the field to eight, with the lowest remaining seed playing the Supporters' Shield winner, and second-lowest playing the other conference winner. The format remains the same as past years after that point, with two-legged, aggregate conference semifinals followed by a single-match conference championship.

The conference championship games are guaranteed to be hosted by teams actually in their respective conferences, avoiding a scenario like last season when Colorado and San Jose played for the Eastern Conference title; however, an Eastern Conference championship can still be won by a team in the Western Conference, and vice versa.

What do you think of the new format?

Share your thoughts below.

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#3 Universal_Re-Monster

Universal_Re-Monster

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Interests:the number three
  • Supports:la galaxy, B&G FC

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

i wanna fuck this playoffs system's brains out!
S A T A N

#4 galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, NCAA football (GO, BLUE), Asian Culture. Korean dramas, movies, music, politics.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USA, Colombia

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

What a dumbass clusterfuck system <_<

What is the purpose of adding fuckin' wildcards...this isn't the NFL...and having more than half the teams in the league make the playoffs makes NO sense :angry:

I think they should have had the top two teams in each conference + the two best remaining teams, regardless of conference, advance. That would mean 8 out of 18 teams make the playoffs...MUCH better than what they did IMO!

L.A. Galaxy - 4-Time & Back-to-Back MLS Cup Champions!!

Brady Hoke - returning U-M to glory...Go, Blue!

USA Soccer - Don't Tread On Us!

Colombia - returning to the World Cup after 16-year hiatus!

#5 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

If we finish around the top of the league for the regular season, I think it's lame. If we end up 9th or 10, I like it.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#6 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Playoffs are cool if you have like 30somthing teams like in the NBA, NFL, NHL. It makes sense for those leagues. Wildcards in MLS are fucking stupid. Give me my fucking single table NOW!!! FUCK!!! Whatever. You guys think Vancougar and Portland will do the "We Love Ya" chant too?

Let's Eat!

#7 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

i wanna fuck this playoffs system's brains out!

In a "damn, bitch!" way, or a "damn bitch!" way?

#8 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image

#9 impatient_ingrate

impatient_ingrate

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

You guys think Vancougar and Portland will do the "We Love Ya" chant too?

Isn't this a requirement to be in the league?

An 8 team playoff field would have been perfect. So, naturally that's not what we get.

#10 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

So, naturally that's not what we get.

Truth. I swear the people who run this league listen to us, digest it, and go completely the opposite way.

#11 Riggs.

Riggs.

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, your mother

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:06 AM

Isn't this a requirement to be in the league?

An 8 team playoff field would have been perfect. So, naturally that's not what we get.

Well the league just added 2 more teams, I guess they felt it necessary to make the playoffs more accessible due to expansion.

I also really think this may have to do with trying to keep fans happy by making them feel like their team accomplished something.

Think about it. Seattle has broken all kinds of attendance records. They have not won a single playoff game and have only scored a single goal in the playoffs. The won the USOC, a running joke amongst MLS teams. I don't know if it's actually possible for reality to set in on such delusional fan base, but a continued lack of success might lead to failings at the gates. Toronto is seeing this very thing happen. They have enjoyed being one of the worst MLS Franchises when it comes to success on the field; their fans are starting to boycott matches for a number of reasons including the play on the field.

Vancouver is slated to be the worst team in the MLS this coming season. Portland looks iffy as well. If both teams, both of which are guaranteed to make a ton of money based on their support, fail to succeed on the field how long will their success at the gates last?

#12 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

...Seattle has broken all kinds of attendance records. They have not won a single playoff game and have only scored a single goal in the playoffs. The won the USOC, a running joke amongst MLS teams. I don't know if it's actually possible for reality to set in on such delusional fan base, but a continued lack of success might lead to failings at the gates. Toronto is seeing this very thing happen. They have enjoyed being one of the worst MLS Franchises when it comes to success on the field; their fans are starting to boycott matches for a number of reasons including the play on the field.

Nor is that new: The Revs used to have excellent attendance. Then they sucked for years and that stopped happening.

At one point the NBA and NHL had 16 of 23 and 21 teams respectively making the playoffs. Playoff inflation is a crude but reasonably effective way of keeping fans interested. If MLS were inclined to be really, seriously shameless about it, it would be just as easy to have a playoff field of 12 teams.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#13 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

Vancouver is slated to be the worst team in the MLS this coming season. Portland looks iffy as well. If both teams, both of which are guaranteed to make a ton of money based on their support, fail to succeed on the field how long will their success at the gates last?

Portland has had absolutely horrible USL teams and the attendance was still better than many MLS teams. Not sure about Vancouver.

#14 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

At one point the NBA and NHL had 16 of 23 and 21 teams respectively making the playoffs. Playoff inflation is a crude but reasonably effective way of keeping fans interested. If MLS were inclined to be really, seriously shameless about it, it would be just as easy to have a playoff field of 12 teams.

This

For the 87,452nd time, without relegation, and we'll never have relegation, you need something to keep the teams and their fans involved. This playoff system makes sense to me and addresses at least one concern by giving priority to the top two regular season teams. I don't understand the continuance of "Conferences" unless it means that Garber has been reading my posts about how MLS should expand to 24 or 28 teams built around two regional conferences with infrequent inter-conference play like the NBA.

#15 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

This

For the 87,452nd time, without relegation, and we'll never have relegation, you need something to keep the teams and their fans involved. This playoff system makes sense to me and addresses at least one concern by giving priority to the top two regular season teams. I don't understand the continuance of "Conferences" unless it means that Garber has been reading my posts about how MLS should expand to 24 or 28 teams built around two regional conferences with infrequent inter-conference play like the NBA.

i think you're spot on.

and what the evil cristobal said: if we are 10th i love this. if we are 1st this sucks

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)