Was the return of MLS a good experience?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you watch the return of MLS (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Was the first game a good experience

1. Yes (14 votes [46.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

2. No (11 votes [36.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

3. It would have better with small group of fans to generate excitement (5 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Ok, so there's some asshole guy out there that is on the fence and instead of looking at the facts and making a decision, he's going to not support BLM because the lead up to kickoff had 5 minutes BLM content.  OK...  I just don't think that guy would ever support BLM and is looking for an excuse to not sound racist.  If you know this guy, let him know not supporting BLM because it's all over MLS coverage is NOT a legitimate reason.

Seems like a small price to pay if the players want to continue to support BLM.

There's also room in this world for people to have more nuanced discussions about a topic like BLM and not be 100% one way or the other. You can actually support almost all of the BLM movement, but not buy into every statement or activity that's been done in support of it. But of course nobody wants to live in that world anymore. It's doesn't fit in a facebook post or on the front of a T-Shirt. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I've watched both games. Neither were entertaining nor very watchable and certainly won't bring in any new fans. Barely any scoring chances or nice passes.

The response time by those EMTs last night for that Miami player were also pathetic.

I know a lot of people are bothered by the ads and the big Adidas logo in the middle of the field but neither of those bothered me.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I enjoyed them in the way that I enjoy preseason games. Not great quality, but enjoyable for what it is.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

I watched, but was not overly invested in the first two games. But, that's not too dissimilar from my usual level of investment in regular season MLS games not involving metro. I'll be better able to answer the question after we play on Saturday. I wasn't bothered by the advertising or adidas logo. MLS absolutely should be trying to maximize ad revenue during the tournament. I think the quality will gradually increase during the 2nd and 3rd round of games and fan interest/investment will increase when teams start playing elimination games. A perfectly fine start.

The only wtf moment was, as already mentioned, the 4 minute wait for the stretcher. Reminded me of an open cup game we played against Reading at RBA, when the Reading trainer--who looked like a HS girl--walked as slowly as humanly possible to the other side of the field to treat a player and then refused to give one of our guys a water bottle. She got booed horribly much to absolute bewilderment of the Reading fans who were apparently expecting little league etiquette from the fans.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

There's also room in this world for people to have more nuanced discussions about a topic like BLM and not be 100% one way or the other. You can actually support almost all of the BLM movement, but not buy into every statement or activity that's been done in support of it. But of course nobody wants to live in that world anymore. It's doesn't fit in a facebook post or on the front of a T-Shirt. 

Im saying complaining about how other people (players, MLS) are expressing themselves in terms of BLM is weak. Just mute the game until kickoff if it bothers you so much.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

I watched, but was not overly invested in the first two games. But, that's not too dissimilar from my usual level of investment in regular season MLS games not involving metro. I'll be better able to answer the question after we play on Saturday. I wasn't bothered by the advertising or adidas logo. MLS absolutely should be trying to maximize ad revenue during the tournament. I think the quality will gradually increase during the 2nd and 3rd round of games and fan interest/investment will increase when teams start playing elimination games. A perfectly fine start..

Yeah I agree with that.  Sure I was underwhelmed with Orlando/Miami, but would I have cared even under normal circumstances?  Without betting on it, probably not.

I have no doubt once the RBNY game starts, I'll be as invested as always.  And as you said, when the outcomes have clearer implications, it will be easier to get into the games.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I watched 50% of both games so far (since I had bet on them). The quality was what it was - you wouldn't mistake it for EPL soccer but the same could be said of any MLS game ever.

Importantly, the players were treating it like a real tourney. Going hard into every 50-50 ball, hard fouls when needed. The whole misconception by many fans online (both on this forum as well as other outlets) that this tourney would be a preseason waste of time has been unfounded so far.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
And, Im saying anyone that doesnt support BLM because of how much time MLS, or the like, gives to it on its broadcast is an idiot. Decide what you want based the merits of the movement, not because you didnt like the start of a sporting event.

How would that even go? I oppose police brutality against minorities, just less than Im opposed to people kneeling and talking about said police brutality for a few minutes...

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
Enjoyed watching both games, but they really do have a preseason feel to them. All four teams looked pretty poor. I imagine another match or so could get better

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Caught the Orlando Miami game. It was okay.

I was struck by just how much a live fanbase affects tv viewing. IMO MLS really missed an opportunity here to do something innovative.

Im not going to pretend to know the financial and technological constraints but maybe something like green screening where the cameras would pick up the fans and digitally inserting them along with piping in crowd noise sourced from past broadcasts of each teams home stadium and or supporter groups.

This is a partnership with Disney is it not? You would think theyd like to try something different too.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I was struck by just how much a live fanbase affects tv viewing. IMO MLS really missed an opportunity here to do something innovative.

Im not going to pretend to know the financial and technological constraints but maybe something like green screening where the cameras would pick up the fans and digitally inserting them along with piping in crowd noise sourced from past broadcasts of each teams home stadium and or supporter groups.

This is a partnership with Disney is it not? You would think theyd like to try something different too.

They were showing fans on the scoreboard there, some looked like zoom streams. You couldn't hear them though.

German and English league games have added in piped in crowd noise but personally I'd rather hear the guys screaming and yelling and cursing like we have in these 2 games vs crowd noise for a crowd that we know isn't there

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

They were showing fans on the scoreboard there, some looked like zoom streams. You couldn't hear them though.

German and English league games have added in piped in crowd noise but personally I'd rather hear the guys screaming and yelling and cursing like we have in these 2 games vs crowd noise for a crowd that we know isn't there

NBC has piped in crowd noise as a default for Prem games but you can watch with real noise on the app. No fake noise for me, thanks.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I think issue with virtual fan zooms and things of that nature is that its really hard to tell who will show up and in your home its easier to move around during the game/multitask. 
also when i curse out Armas on TV for a bad sub i dont want anyone to see or hear me lol.

but maybe with more time they can do things once teams return home. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

To each their own. Having watched plenty with fake noise and plenty without now, I think I prefer the fake noise. Moments when I'm highly focused on the actual game and not so much on the stands, the noise makes it feel like a normal game in normal times. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

To each their own. Having watched plenty with fake noise and plenty without now, I think I prefer the fake noise. Moments when I'm highly focused on the actual game and not so much on the stands, the noise makes it feel like a normal game in normal times. 

I agree.

Add past audio recordings of an actual Red Bull game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users