http://mobile.nytime...among-them.html

Par

Par

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Supports:NY Soccer!!!
World Cups will still be played in Russia and Qatar, but great news. Hope they nail Blatter
Metrostars/Red Bulls/whatever comes next till i die..........

soccerfreak9210

soccerfreak9210

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Roma, Nats

Head of Traffic Sports involved too... Always disliked them, give me a shady vibe with their agency practices.

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Colombia & Millonarios

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL officials were also picked up by Swiss police on behalf of the USDOJ...

(NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

NASL official part of group arrested... 

http://www.reddit.co...e_picked_up_in/

Metromaniac01

Metromaniac01

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, US Nats, SMF

Jack Warner was one of those arrested. Excellent.

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

World Cups will still be played in Russia and Qatar, but great news. Hope they nail Blatter

The US can only arrest those that conducted their illegal business in the USA. This is why those arrested mostly involve those in our region. I doubt Blatter conducted his illegal activities here... 

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

The Swiss have opened a criminal investigation into the bidding for the '18 and '22 Cups, so we'll see where that goes, if anywhere.

Chuck Blazer pled guilty already; presumably he's cooperating with the DOJ/FBI.  That would be bad news for Jack Warner and other Concacaf execs.

Haven't seen anything saying that Jack Warner has been arrested.  It's a little unclear who's actually been arrested, as opposed to who's been indicted.  The arrests took place in Switzerland, where FIFA execs were meeting.  But there's no reason for Jack Warner to have been in Switzerland; if he's in T&T, will they extradite him to the U.S.? 

Edit:  OK, if I'm reading this correctly, 14 have been indicted with 6 FIFA execs arrested.  The Swiss will extradite those 6 to the U.S. pursuant to an extradition treaty.  The status of the other 8 who have been indicted is unclear.  Also, in a separate announcement, 4 other people along with 2 corporations have already pled guilty.  The 4 include Jack Warner's son and presumably Chuck Blazer.

http://www.cnn.com/2...ment/index.html

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

The US can only arrest those that conducted their illegal business in the USA. This is why those arrested mostly involve those in our region. I doubt Blatter conducted his illegal activities here... 

Although the article I read suggests that the connection between the crime and the U.S. can be fairly tenuous but still give the U.S. DOJ jurisdiction, i.e. it involved an American bank or even an American internet service provider.

MadisonMetro

MadisonMetro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

There are a lot of ways for the DOJ to claim jurisdiction, it's just a matter of creative lawyering.  That won't be an issue.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT
No revote on the Qatar WC, which is a disappointment for me, because I was hoping it would be played in the USA.

It is also a disappointment for the slaves that are building the stadiums in Qatar. They were hoping to return home one day to see their families, rather than be worked to death. Oh well, can't win em all.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Totally OK with that as long as the slave labor stops.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Jack Warner was one of those arrested. Excellent.

That's the best thing to come out of this. Warner is a slumlord snake. It took two decades, but they finally nailed him. This is a good day.

All of that said, Pebble is right. Blatter did his dirty work somewhere. He'll sneak away on this one. No doubt in my mind.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York
There are enough lawyers here to explain this better than I, but the basic deal is that the US has a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, which allows the US to claim jurisdiction in corruption, fraud & bribery as long as it hit the US shores at some point.

So, if you flew to the US to take a bribe, it counts. If you laundered money through the US financial system (payments or deposits), it counts. If you used a US business to further that corruption, it counts. All seem to be the case here.

There was a pretty good Frontline about a UK bribe on a defense contract to Saudi Arabia, that saw UK officials probed under that act in the US, even though the US was not intentional part of the bribes, etc. The basic point is that US businesses should not be (a) dealing with corrupt business, (b) making bribes, or © having to compete 'fairly' against people who are playing unfairly. 

We all know that the 2022 World Cup was essentially that case- bin Hamaam paid bribes to get Qatar the World Cup, US lost. (thought it should have gone to Australia, personally, but whatever).

So, Concacaf being essentially an agency of corruption, that furthered a corrupt enterprise in FIFA, made this a US case since their corruption all went through their US organization. I'm proud as an American that we did the work other governments could not/would not do out of fear of retribution. (though, we did bribe to get the 2002 winter games, so it's not like we're snow white either.)

From what the Attorney General was saying, there is also a RICO case here, which carries a 20 year prison term. Doubt anyone will get that long, but, it's a law designed to take down enterprises like the Mob, which FIFA basically is.

The real victims here aren't (just) soccer fans, but really it's kids in countries like Haiti & Brazil that could've seen the money go to new fields, equipment, etc., and instead went to line the pockets of corrupt a-holes.

Chuck Blazer took a 10% cut of a charity match he organized for a guy in a wheelchair- and I don't know how you get any more shitty as a human being than that. He's very ill and won't likely go to jail. I would live to see Warner imprisoned though- he's a solid gold crook.

I hope they all rot in hell, 5 times over. 

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

Totally OK with that as long as the slave labor stops.

as long as it stops? Numerous laberors have already died building the stadiums.

It's too late to apologize for this, the damage has been done.

Move the WC to a place that doesn't abuse human rights. Russia on the other hand gets a pass from me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users