Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut
I find it a bit odd to judge Gio by whether we were producing international level talent at the time. To my knowledge, despite being ahead of the rest of the league at the time, we invested nowhere near as much as we do now. And why would they? At the time there were little to no benefits for fostering players development without the ability to get preference in signing them. Correct me if I'm totally off base, a lot of you have more intimate knowledge of these things I'm sure.

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I find it a bit odd to judge Gio by whether we were producing international level talent at the time. To my knowledge, despite being ahead of the rest of the league at the time, we invested nowhere near as much as we do now. And why would they? At the time there were little to no benefits for fostering players development without the ability to get preference in signing them. Correct me if I'm totally off base, a lot of you have more intimate knowledge of these things I'm sure.

Not to discredit gio. He got things rolling and we were ahead of the league. Having said that, he didnt have the resources to produce the a miazga or adams.part of that is because the reserve league was a joke and it was not connected to youth development. The other part was that the youth team didnt have their own facilities and MLS rules were
NOt friendly to youth development.

It is unclear if he had resources that the team would of improved the quality of youth players.

At the end of the day, we cant be upset with the choice. The team is producing a lot of quality players. I kinda wish we were able to keep guys like olosunde

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Gio didnt have the USL team. That is a HUGE factor in our current development success.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

impatient, ... passes often din't put their teammates in a favorable position and ... seemed disorganized. 

Like your comments?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Cream rises.  Gio may have been fired unfairly here, but he found a way, got his chance, and has done well with it so far.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

YOU said Agoos and Arena!
Signing off means that he approved THEIR actions.
Does MdG still have a role on the soccer side?
http://www.espn.com/...994982/headline

Do you honestly think that if Arena/Agoos wanted him here, MdG would have got rid of him? Especially given the fact that he had nobody to immediately replace him with?

Who is ultimately making and informing Gio of the decision? MdG was. So obviously he is going to go after MdG in the press, not Arena/Agoos.

MdG was rehired specifically to not be involved in the on-field decisions. However he is the top guy locally and Austria would listen more to MdG than Hamlett on most matters. He was the one pulling Sacha off the field the other night after the Shield win and Sacha overstaying his welcome on the field.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Do you honestly think that if Arena/Agoos wanted him here, MdG would have got rid of him? Especially given the fact that he had nobody to immediately replace him with?

Who is ultimately making and informing Gio of the decision? MdG was. So obviously he is going to go after MdG in the press, not Arena/Agoos.

Right, it's like Petke and fans blaming Curtis for his firing, when there are reports of other GMs turned the job because Austria made letting Mike go a requirement to taking the job. Ultimately, Curtis took the job and pulled the trigger on the firing, so he's the one that has take heat.  And, he should have to; if he didn't want to, he could have turned the job down.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Do you honestly think that if Arena/Agoos wanted him here, MdG would have got rid of him?

My opinion does not matter. Did Gio think this?

Who ... inform(ed) Gio of the decision? MdG ... So obviously he is going to go after MdG in the press, not Arena/Agoos.

Gio did not mention any names. Perhaps he thinks MdG was more involved than you do.

MdG ... was the one pulling Sacha off the field the other night after the Shield win and Sacha overstaying his welcome on the field.

As far as I could see, Sacha took his time lapping the field and applauding the fans, and was well received. If MdG laid hands on Sacha, that was an asshole move.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Right, it's like Petke and fans blaming Curtis for his firing, when there are reports of other GMs turned the job because Austria made letting Mike go a requirement to taking the job. Ultimately, Curtis took the job and pulled the trigger on the firing, so he's the one that has take heat.  And, he should have to; if he didn't want to, he could have turned the job down.

This logically makes complete sense, but were there ever any reports of this?  They're not coming to mind for me.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Delete
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

This logically makes complete sense, but were there ever any reports of this?  They're not coming to mind for me.

Maybe from around when Ali was let go? I cant find it right now, Ill look more this week.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
no Petke no peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users