271 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Cahill just signed with Millwall again.... I'm so embarrassed for him, he's degraded into Freddy Adu status

Weird to criticize him for wanting to 1) make money and 2) actually play so he can go to one last World Cup.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Weird to criticize him for wanting to 1) make money and 2) actually play so he can go to one last World Cup.

Agreed. There's plenty to criticize Cahill for, but not sure going back to Milwall is a reason to. Going back to the club that gave you a start all those years back is a negative thing. Sure it seemed to be about the money for him in going to China and he's said and done plenty of dumb shit. But it made sense for him to go to the A-league. Don't know what happened that he didn't stay in Australia but you can't knock his commitment to the Aussie NT and that's a big part of his move to England. 

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,549 posts
Everyone works for their $$$, these guys are pros with a short shelf life. This is their job.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,379 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Cahill just signed with Millwall again

Did not factor in todays match:
http://www.skysports...ll/teams/388190

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,730 posts

Did not factor in todays match:
http://www.skysports...ll/teams/388190

Maybe Austrailia had a friendly at the same time?

5 year plan

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
He did not do well in Australia, he was being benched. I doubt Millwall will get any value out of him, let's see.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,983 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He did not do well in Australia, he was being benched. I doubt Millwall will get any value out of him, let's see.

The guy's almost as old as Freddy Adu, but MIllwall's struggling in the bottom half of the Championship... he's probably at the end, but will almost certainly do something of value for them his season.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

Sad to see great players hang on too long...then again, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same because eventually the window closes for good.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

Maybe I'm just a cynical asshole, but since he was here I've felt like Cahill was just chasing paychecks and more interested in maintaining/building his brand than he was playing football. If he was just patriotic as fuck and cared a lot about Australian football, he wouldn't be leaving the A-League. Playing for the national team is his most valuable venture and offers the best sponsorship deals - so he prioritizes the national team over the clubs who pay his paychecks. I mean, the guy auctions off his goal celebrations for cryin out loud. 

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Do we even have enough players to hold quality practices?

2015 is going to blow. Bigtime.

Yeah, it was a terrible season😀

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo

Maybe I'm just a cynical asshole, but since he was here I've felt like Cahill was just chasing paychecks and more interested in maintaining/building his brand than he was playing football. If he was just patriotic as fuck and cared a lot about Australian football, he wouldn't be leaving the A-League. Playing for the national team is his most valuable venture and offers the best sponsorship deals - so he prioritizes the national team over the clubs who pay his paychecks. I mean, the guy auctions off his goal celebrations for cryin out loud. 

I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't say he's chasing a paycheck necessarily. The guy started his career at Millwall. He seems to be a bit of a wanderlust and maybe wants to take a walk down memory lane. 

In terms of Millwall, they are 13 points off a promotion playoff spot with 8 clubs ahead of them. They are quite the longshot to make much noise this season. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

I don't know the numbers, but I wouldn't say he's chasing a paycheck necessarily. The guy started his career at Millwall. He seems to be a bit of a wanderlust and maybe wants to take a walk down memory lane. 

In terms of Millwall, they are 13 points off a promotion playoff spot with 8 clubs ahead of them. They are quite the longshot to make much noise this season. 

He just wants a paycheck and Millwall was probably one of the few places that would A) pay him the high salary he seeks and B) get some playing time - and in that order. Millwall is likely OK with overpaying because of the morale boost and merch sales boost he could bring. He doesn't need to make noise there, just collect some $$ while staying fit for the World Cup. 

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He just wants a paycheck and Millwall was probably one of the few places that would A) pay him the high salary he seeks and B) get some playing time - and in that order. Millwall is likely OK with overpaying because of the morale boost and merch sales boost he could bring. He doesn't need to make noise there, just collect some $$ while staying fit for the World Cup. 

How much money do you think Millwall is really paying him? Not exactly known as a team on a big budget. 

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,407 posts

How much money do you think Millwall is really paying him? Not exactly known as a team on a big budget. 

Yeah I just read this and shit, maybe he's even playing for free lol - http://www.abc.net.a...heroics/9387382

My initial assertion still holds, that participating in the WC is the most lucrative thing for his brand. 

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

https://www.foxsport...the-game-020417

FC Metropolis 7 Gotham City FC 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users